Travis Picking MASTERCLASS - Parts 1 - 3 Easy - Hard

What's Hot

Comments

• dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    DaveB666 said:
    #MeToo please.

Cheers

Dave

(Who is hoping to play Pearl Jam - Just Breathe after learning how to "do" it)
    PM sent and yes you will definatley have the technique to do that. I'll even do a video on that song if you like?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaveB666DaveB666 Frets: 85
    DaveB666 said:
    #MeToo please.

Cheers

Dave

PM sent and yes you will definatley have the technique to do that. I'll even do a video on that song if you like?
    Well that's a hell yes from me! Thanking you!!!!
    DaveB666 said:
    DaveB666 said:
    #MeToo please.

Cheers

Dave

Tutorial or Tab on screen play through or both?
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    Yes please - after the first lesson on this the teacher refused my calls 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 741
    edited June 2021
    Just watched your video. Vey good. Logical progression from basic thumb alternating base 64546454 etc to gradually adding treble notes with fingers. I have always believed that the baseline in this type of picking was mimicking the 'stride' piano base style found in a lot of 1920'3/30's American piano styles like Scott Joplin. A lot of the guitar music back then was for Black American house parties as the accompaniment to dancing. Also simple street music for money. So it had to be rhythmical and catchy.

Great stuff and there's a huge tradition to it all. Also fascinating to think that a lot of UK 1960's music came from players rediscovering the early US Blues, Folk and Ragtime players. Clapton/Peter Green/Keef/Jeff Beck and a host of others all cut their teeth on this style, developed it and took it back to the US. With some success!!

Well done Dean.
    Yes please - after the first lesson on this the teacher refused my calls 
    haha hope this helps. PM sent
    DavidR said:
    Just watched your video. Vey good. Logical progression from basic thumb alternating base 64546454 etc to gradually adding treble notes with fingers. I have always believed that the baseline in this type of picking was mimicking the 'stride' piano base style found in a lot of 1920'3/30's American piano styles like Scott Joplin. A lot of the guitar music back then was for Black American house parties as the accompaniment to dancing. Also simple street music for money. So it had to be rhythmical and catchy.

Great stuff and there's a huge tradition to it all. Also fascinating to think that a lot of UK 1960's music came from players rediscovering the early US Blues, Folk and Ragtime players. Clapton/Peter Green/Keef/Jeff Beck and a host of others all cut their teeth on this style, developed it and took it back to the US. With some success!!

Well done Dean.
    Thank you so much David very king words and yes its amazing and very interesting how this style has evolved and influenced so many greats. I'm quite overwhelmed by the interest in this style. 

I have just written part 2 which i'm trying to practice to get it down so its a bit of a step up. Hope everyone will enjoy it!
  • DaveB666DaveB666 Frets: 85
    DaveB666 said:
    DaveB666 said:
    #MeToo please.

Cheers

Dave

Tutorial or Tab on screen play through or both?
    Both would be amazing.

Have watched the video through and am now doing it again with a guitar in my hands.

Great teaching style and I like how you build up the construction of something complex - I need to do the homework - I think you have it down! :)
    Ok, has anyone had it where you write something you are really pleased with and someone tells you have not written that as they heard it before?

I had just played my wife the piece I had written and her first reaction was I have heard that before. I had written it in the style of Mississippi John Hurt meets Chet but now worried I have somehow written it from my head but can’t think where. 

Can I send it too a few people on here please for opinion? Don’t want to practice, record the video before being told this not yours :)
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4136
    Jimbro66 said:
    I just took a look at the video and it's a very good introduction to basic technique. Definitely worth following for anyone looking to get into that style of playing.

I've been playing Chet, Merle, Jerry style since I was 16 which is longer ago than I care to admit  ;)  It's always been a niche style in this country so It's good to see quite a few members here expressing interest.

I prefer the American name 'Kentucky Thumb' because Merle Travis didn't invent the style but when you say Travis Picking everyone knows what you mean.

It'll be interesting to see your Part 2 video Dean.
    Never heard the term Kentucky Thumb, knew one on me. To me Merle Travis pretty much took Maybelle Carter’s picking and moved it on along with Ike Everly and others but Merle was definitely the guy that took it so far. Also he was the highest profile guitarist playing in Hank Thompson’s band. First band that used to carry own PA, lights and one of the first to record a live record in Las Vegas, where Travis is on fire. 
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    I'd love to have a look, primarily playing acoustic fingerstyle .... With no style
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    edited June 2021
    Jimbro66 said:
    I just took a look at the video and it's a very good introduction to basic technique. Definitely worth following for anyone looking to get into that style of playing.

I've been playing Chet, Merle, Jerry style since I was 16 which is longer ago than I care to admit    It's always been a niche style in this country so It's good to see quite a few members here expressing interest.

I prefer the American name 'Kentucky Thumb' because Merle Travis didn't invent the style but when you say Travis Picking everyone knows what you mean.

Never heard the term Kentucky Thumb, knew one on me. To me Merle Travis pretty much took Maybelle Carter’s picking and moved it on along with Ike Everly and others but Merle was definitely the guy that took it so far. Also he was the highest profile guitarist playing in Hank Thompson’s band. First band that used to carry own PA, lights and one of the first to record a live record in Las Vegas, where Travis is on fire. 

Merle would certainly have heard Maybelle Carter but his main influence as a young guy was Mose Rager who lived in a nearby town. Merle's song Guitar Rag was a tribute to Mose. Mose's main influence was Kennedy Jones who also influenced Ike Everly. When young players referred to the style as Travis Picking Merle said it should be Rager Picking because that's where he got it from. Kennedy Jones also gets a lot of credit for the playing style and he wrote the thumpicking classic Cannonball Rag.

The term Kentucky Thumb(picking) has been used fairly extensively in those US musical circles to acknowledge that the style came from a number of pioneering players who lived in the mining areas of Kentucky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Would love a look at this if you could send a link.
    Exorcist said:
    Would love a look at this if you could send a link.
    awesome! PM sent
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4136
    Jimbro66 said:
    Jimbro66 said:

I've been playing Chet, Merle, Jerry style since I was 16 which is longer ago than I care to admit    It's always been a niche style in this country so It's good to see quite a few members here expressing interest.

Merle would certainly have heard Maybelle Carter but his main influence as a young guy was Mose Rager who lived in a nearby town. Merle's song Guitar Rag was a tribute to Mose. Mose's main influence was Kennedy Jones who also influenced Ike Everly. When young players referred to the style as Travis Picking Merle said it should be Rager Picking because that's where he got it from. Kennedy Jones also gets a lot of credit for the playing style and he wrote the thumpicking classic Cannonball Rag.

The term Kentucky Thumb(picking) has been used fairly extensively in those US musical circles to acknowledge that the style came from a number of pioneering players who lived in the mining areas of Kentucky
    Cheers for the info. 
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    I’d love to get the link for this! Thanks. 
    Vinylfan said:
    I’d love to get the link for this! Thanks. 
    Thank you, Message sent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2021
    Anyone want to learn Just Breathe by Pearl Jam??? Great Travis Picking style tune. Good follow up from this video. Its up on my channel! 
  • pvdmacpvdmac Frets: 16
    PM sent
    PART 2 IS OUT NOW ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - 

WWW.youtube.com/dmmusictuition - Look at latest video Travis Picking Add Melody

I composed a tune inspired my Mississippi John Hurt and Chet Atkins. I hope you enjoy

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom