New Animals album mix coming

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2607
in Music tFB Trader

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    They just wouldn’t let it lie would they. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Roger is admitting to having agreed to something David wanted!

He must be getting soft in his old age.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    Doesn't seem like it reading his blog about this release. What a sad bitter guy he is. And "when I was in charge" of Pink Floyd. Jeez. 

• RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader

David Gilmour Blames Roger Waters for 'Animals' Remix Delay (ultimateclassicrock.com)

The war of words between David Gilmour and Roger Waters is far from over, as the Pink Floyd guitarist has accused his ex-bandmate of halting the progress of a long-awaited Animals remix in a new interview.

"Well, a very lovely Animals remix has been done, but someone has tried to force some liner notes on it that I haven’t approved and, um, someone is digging his heels and not allowing it to be released," Gilmour told Rolling Stone.

The guitarist and his wife, Polly Samson, were interviewed before Waters published a scathing letter on his website last week in which he accused Gilmour of exaggerating his degree of involvement in certain Pink Floyd songs, namely the signature tape-loop intro to their 1973 hit “Money.”

Gilmour declined to comment on Waters’ note when Rolling Stone asked for his reaction.

The liner notes for the Animals remix have been a point of contention for Gilmour and Waters for a long time now. Waters claims that Gilmour doesn’t want the them included in the remix “because he wanted Pink Floyd to remain enigmatic,” and that the dispute has delayed the Animals release for roughly two years. Waters has since agreed to have the album reissued sans liner notes, which he shared on his website last week. He also promised to dispute Gilmour's "gobbledygook" in his in-progress memoir.

Gilmour and Samson, however, shared a different version of events with Rolling Stone. When probed by his wife, Gilmour revealed that Pink Floyd “never had liner notes,” and it’s only an issue now “because someone wants them, and they got a journalist to write some, and I didn’t approve them. And he’s [Waters] just getting a bit shirty. You know how he is, poor boy."

Gilmour also said he and Waters are "pretty unlikely" to reach a resolution anytime soon. "There’s a lot of misinformation," he added. "And I’m not keen on constantly responding to every bit of untruth that I hear about myself and what I’m doing."

The guitarist continued: "There are packs of lies and information I’ve allowed to sit out there but my general view is to swallow and … it’ll all come right one day in one way or another."

Gilmour also said he hopes to release a new solo album "in the next year or two" and wants to begin working with other musicians in earnest now that he is fully vaccinated against the coronavirus.

Waters does seem to always go out of his way to be awkward and rub people up the wrong way. That said, I suspect Gilmour isn't entirely blameless either and does often come across as trying to be holier-than-thou.

And regardless of who is right, I just much prefer Roger's creative output to Dave's...

We've still got the original album, anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    There is a fine line between genius and knob. 

Roger is so far into knob he can't even see the line with binoculars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    What a cracking album. Animals is great
    axisus said:
    You can be both. He’s a prime example…

What’s frustrating is that he doesn’t have to be. He would be just as great a songwriter if he could bring himself to be reasonable - put any resentment he has towards Gilmour in the past and move on. All his very best stuff was written more than a quarter of a century ago anyway, he doesn’t need to keep on being a twat now - and I say that even though I like Is This The Life We Really Want a lot.

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    I thought this was a whole new take on House of the Rising Sun.
    The thing is, I actually think I believe Rogers take on things. The problem is that is doesn't help him or anyone else to bang on about it. He isn't making friends over it or improving his legacy, there are times in life to just let things go even if you feel they are unjust.
    ICBM said:
    axisus said:
    You can be both. He’s a prime example…

Yeah, I agree totally, I wuz just making a joke with the comment.
    axisus said:
    The thing is, I actually think I believe Rogers take on things. The problem is that is doesn't help him or anyone else to bang on about it. He isn't making friends over it or improving his legacy, there are times in life to just let things go even if you feel they are unjust.
    I agree. Nick Mason makes a similar observation in his excellent book... Roger is his own worst enemy a lot of the time. (Even including Gilmour :).)

• EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    Another example that having more than one captain on the same ship doesn't quite work. But as Roger isn't officially part of Pink Floyd, there's not much that he can do, right? Or is it different since most of the songs are his?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    It just strikes me that Waters is one of those people who needs to be in complete control of everything he does and is massively uncomfortable when cooperation and compromise rear their heads.

In some ways I envy him, to be that strong willed and singled minded has it's uses. At other times I think he just creates fights where none were needed and he is just unable to back down.

Ultimately though these are his battles. They portray him in a certain way and he doesn't seem to care about that - his primary focus is on pushing his agenda and his version. I wonder if anyone other than him really cares whether those notes are in the liner or not. I certainly don't. Not sure I've ever read a CD booklet!

Cracking song writer though.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    I do hope that there's a bonus track.

I'd call it 'Gaslighting by Conduct'.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Agree he's a bit of a knob but I'd much rather have an outspoken, ranty Waters than a quiet one we never hear from. I love him to bits, even when he's being a dick. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    If he were a pedal company he'd be the lovechild of Mike Fuller and Pete Cornish.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

They are a funny pair. Truth is they were both best together, The vision and writing of Waters and the guitar, melody and voice of Gilmour.  I think they were far more than the sum of their parts for most of the 70's, it's just unfortunate that RW became a dictator but in the absence of material from elsewhere I guess he wanted his material to be as he had visioned.  That said, it's not really unfortunate, they did 4-5 amazing albums and like most things in life they are passing, they had a pretty good run.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

I've just got into listening to Animals again actually so would like to hear this mix, forgot what a good album it was. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Roger still has the anger in him but at least you can ignore his knobishness and enjoy his content he put out in lockdown, his recent update to Bravery of being out of Range is epic.

I’d sooner that than the smug, self satisfied shit that Gilmour is putting out in the Van Traps stuff.

As humans, both seem quite unlikable to me, as artists, Roger still has some vitality in him.