New Animals album mix coming

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 367
    edited June 2021
    Better together as posted above is my take on things rather like Lennon and McCartney

I haven’t followed the shenanigans closely but I do sense that 99% of the vitriol has been from Water’s side which doesn’t make him particularly wise or intelligent on my book

Dave is entitled to be content and release whatever flavour of solo work he likes, no one has to buy it

The phrase “I’m the only genius in the village” comes to mind  
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285

I've just got into listening to Animals again actually so would like to hear this mix, forgot what a good album it was. 
    Me too. I bought it early 80s on vinyl, wasn't mad keen on it. It had a dark flavour to the music (rather than the lyrics) that didn't appeal to me at the time. I didn't hear it for decades, but finally bought a CD last year and wow, it's powerful stuff on a revisit. In an ideal world I'd have love maybe two more tracks added on the animal theme, but it's a great record for sure.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    If Noel and Liam were posh...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Brize said:
    If Noel and Liam were posh...
    ... and talented...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    The lyrics of Have A Cigar include the words, "which one's Pink?" Somewhere between the completion of WYWH and the beginning of Animals, Waters appears to have decided that he WAS Pink Floyd. 

It could be argued that most of the Animals album material was reworked from stuff tried on the previous tour. (You Gotta Be Crazy and Raving And Drooling.) The modern expression is recycling but there is also a faint whiff of contractual obligation 

I recall a dreary interview given by Rick Wright to The Melody Maker. Part of this was to promote his first solo album. Towards the end, he fielded the inevitable question about what Pink Floyd would be doing next. At the time, Wright seemed non-committal. With the benefit of hindsight, this must be the time when Waters offered the other three the choice between his concepts for The Wall and The Pros And Cons Of Hitch-Hiking. Wright's writing contribution to these was zilch, zip, nada.

Gilmour's compositional contributions to The Wall are sections of two songs. Admittedly, some of the best sections.

It is easy to see why Waters thought that he was doing almost all of the heavy lifting. Recreational powders may have convinced him that he was invincible. It is possible that Gilmour, fuelled by the same powder, felt similarly invincible.

Stalemate. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Gassage said:
    I do hope that there's a bonus track.
    Somewhere, on a Snowy White career retrospective compilation CD, there lurks the segued version of Pigs On The Wing, as it appeared on the 8-track cartridge release of the album. (The two parts are linked by acoustic guitar chords over which Snowy takes an electric guitar solo.) I can imagine this being a bonus track in an Immersion Edition boxed set.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I struggle with a lot of remixes and have ended up in the last few years getting very testy with Apple Music as you go listen to an album and you think this does not sound like I remember so I listen again trying to work out why and what’s different to notice it’s an anniversary edition or remixed and then have to try and find the original.

so when the two old men stop bickering and it gets released will have a listen and see what they have done as rather liked animals.

As for it being left over or reworks I am no Floyd aficionado but I seem to remember from old bootlegs they always seemed to add new material into tours to see if it worked then knocked it in to final shape in the studio. Happy to be corrected but certainly felt like that.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    edited June 2021
    Please don’t let them release it on 2 x 45rpm discs, it really isn’t that much better and a complete pita 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    The lyrics of Have A Cigar include the words, "which one's Pink?" Somewhere between the completion of WYWH and the beginning of Animals, Waters appears to have decided that he WAS Pink Floyd. 

I thought "which one's pink?" was mocking a record company executive who thought one of them was called Pink Floyd. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Yeah, you have to really *want* to dislike someone to interpret that lyric as self aggrandising.  :#
    Grumpyrocker said: 
    I thought "which one's pink?" was mocking a record company executive who thought one of them was called Pink Floyd. 
    This story is well known.

My point is that, not long afterwards, Waters took it upon himself that he was controlling the band. No Roger, no Floyd.

This attitude appeared to remain the case during the Eighties litigation. viz. Pink Floyd can not continue sans Waters.

Reading the vetoed Animals album re-issue sleeve notes, they seem innocuous. Nothing derogatory is written about any of the band members but the emphasis is on firmly Waters' contributions.

Gilmour could legitimately grumble that no mention is made in the sleeve notes that he played the fretless bass. That is about all. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    edited July 2021
    I hope they condense 'Dogs' leaving that heavenly counterpoint guitar bit and shortening the rest by half. The original album was worth the price just for 'Sheep'. It's a craacker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom