Any Nik Kershaw fans in these parts?

What's Hot
grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1341
Obviously in the dim and distant past for many (or completely unknown to the youngsters) but fuck me Nik's song writing is just up there with anything else I've ever listened to..

I've lost a bit of love of listening to music over the past couple of years - no idea why. In order to stave of the boredom of long commutes I worked through all of Nik's stuff in chronological order over the last few weeks again. Listening to the early stuff took me back to my yoof and man it's soooo good to hear it again. Not just because it's so familiar (I literally wore the vinyl stuff out) but it's so f'kin amazing. So much depth to the lyrics, harmonic and rhythmic twists and turns and packaged in a way that can be digested by mortals. His later stuff is just as good and what makes me smile is the fact that his lyrical content seems to have moved in parallel with the things in my life so just as relevant to me. 

Good job he's a shit guitarist - err no.. his guitar playing is awesome as well.

Listening again reminded my of the reason I pretty much stopped writing tunes; Nik has written every song I ever wanted to!

Of course you may think he's shit and that's cool too :)

Si
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    He is the one and only
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1341
    Roland said:
    He is the one and only
    The first time I heard that tune I turned to my then girlfriend and said 'Wow that sounds just like a Nik Kershaw song' :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Well, as good an opportunity as any to share one of my favourite 80s tracks, though I must admit I’ve not listened to much else of his. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22740
    edited June 2021
    Never bought any of his records, but I thought he had some really good songs.  And I kind of identified with him because he was a small blondish person and played a custom guitar (with a Kahler!) which looked similar to my Hamer Special.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    mis-read "Any Nick" as Andy

Yes to both as it happens
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Of course his older stuff has probably dated badly... I mean what relevance today do songs like 'What the Papers Say', 'Human Racing', 'Wide Boy' have :) As for my musical malaise 'Radio Musicola' pretty much sums that up as well..  lol

As for guitar playing I could pick a few but have a listen to 'City of Angels' if you can be bothered.. one of many short but amazing pieces of guitar playing littered across Nik's stuff..
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Hadn't thought of him in years until the singer in our lockdown formed band suggested we do this, or me (on guitar) and him with possibly bass and drums coming in on the chorus:

Learning and playing this version made me appreciate the original more. 

Plus I remember an early Guitarist magazine feature on his custom made double cutaway guitar.  Looked lovely and helped fuel the itch I already had for a DC Les Paul Special.  Sorted that out a few years later!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I saw him live when he was sort of at the peak of his fame. I'm guessing 1984? My memory of it is that there weren't many other blokes in that audience. However, I also remember it as much more of a rock gig than I'd imagined as he added guitar solos to a lot of the stuff and Keith Airey ( brother of Don) alternated between guitar and keys. Fond if somewhat vague set of memories. I can't say I kept track of him but I do have a soft spot for him.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Wouldn't it be good to get a new album?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    He's a huge Holdsworth fan and paid for him to come to the UK and do a few Gigs, this alone makes him worthy :). The solo on Wouldn't it be good was actually recorded one note at a time to achieve the clipped approach and note seperation
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    i just posted this video on another thread, and I urge anyone who loves Nik Kershaw’s music to watch it. It’s brilliantly explained and it opens our ears and minds up to how he manipulates musical forms to make us want to dance and grin stupidly. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    He was my 3in10 on Popmaster….. so I love him to bits…. =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1328
    viz said:
    i just posted this video on another thread, and I urge anyone who loves Nik Kershaw’s music to watch it. It’s brilliantly explained and it opens our ears and minds up to how he manipulates musical forms to make us want to dance and grin stupidly. 

Crikey - I had no idea this was on youtube... that's absolutely fantastic.

He's one of the reasons I picked up guitar in the first place. I always found it frustrating that on his first 4 albums his guitar work is not more prominent and buried within the busy mix of the synths and production... but from the live clips I saw you could see him showcase it more.

I finally got to see him live back in 1999  at the Jazz Cafe in London after he'd come out of "retirement" and was slightly disappointed he'd gone Fake Plastic Trees / acoustic Radiohead - and didn't play electric that night...

I'd be tongue tied if I ever met the fella - by all accounts he's a smashing guy with a quick wit.

Oh - and take a listen to this intro... (shivers down the spine time...)

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    viz said:

Thanks so much for posting this... absolutely brill and super insightful..
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Kershaw was brilliant but this is absolutely bloody wonderful.

What a song. Love Carol.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Well, as good an opportunity as any to share one of my favourite 80s tracks, though I must admit I’ve not listened to much else of his. 

I'd forgotten how odd that was, especially the video.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    Gassage said:

What a song. Love Carol.

Agreed.

Gassage said:

What a song. Love Carol.

I don't think I could ever disagree more about something.. :)

Each to their own however and I'm glad it brings you joy.

Si
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom