Amp blew a fuse last night

TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
I know my supersonic needs a service, it still hasn't been to the tech since it fell off the stand and the reverb stopped working.

Last night two song in it cut out and that moment we all dread happened when you turn round and the power light is off and you know it's not a patch cable!

Fortunately I had a few fuses in the bag, changed it mid sing and carried on.

I only started carrying fuses a few months back and that's the first fuse I've ever had go in 12 years!

Is it just a freak occurance or is it a sign that something may not be right internally?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Probably an intermittent short in one of the power valves. They will often do this, and then work fine for a bit before they do it again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited August 2014
    Given it's had a fall, it's probably worth paying someone to check it over and fix the reverb - that said, given the level of vibration an amp experiences when it's working or being transported, they are pretty resilient.

I had a fuse go in my amp a couple of years ago and posted a similar question on MR.

Happily, on this occasion, it wasn't the first sign of further trouble. It's worked perfectly since.

If it blows another in fairly quick succession, I would definitely get it looked over.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747

"I only started carrying fuses a few months back and that's the first fuse I've ever had go in 12 years!

Is it just a freak occurance or is it a sign that something may not be right internally? "

Not exactly a "freak" but as ICBM said, probably a power valve flash over. I would urge everyone to carry spare fuses these days since modern valves are shite...Well, JJs seem to be ok last time I asked (Sept '13) . 12 years is pretty good going for OP valves.

Nearly a year ago I had some really rubbish samples of KT88s (NOT a cheap valve!) . Admittedly the test rig they were used in was pretty brutal but within paper ratings and EL34s in other amps had lasted the 8hr test period. These things sparked off in a couple of hours. I mention no names, just a blood red jewel?

Yous all need to be Boy Scouts!

Dave.