Sweaty hands

What's Hot
4on64on6 Frets: 86
First gig tonight after the long layoff... I’d forgotten what a pita it is trying to play in summer with sweaty hands.. also how much the sweat softens the finger callouses... 
been playing for years but never really solved this... anyone got any tips ???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    For sweaty hands, have a small towel nearby, kind of like tennis players.

For calloused fingers I have not found anything better than regular playing. If you are desperate, rub some superglue on your fingertips but be very quick about it. It will dry to give harder finger tips. Don't risk testing whether it is dry with you your thumb, dab a hard (waste) surface instead. This should probably be listed under 'Don't do this at home' as someone will get it wrong and can't play because they are stuck to something. I have used this method to hold a cut on a fingertip closed for a gig.
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    I’ve used the superglue thing for right hand fingers for bass... it’s a weird feeling though... might take some so it’s there if I get desperate for 2nd set... thanks!!! Anyone else??
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    edited June 2021
    You could try ‘anhydrol forte’ it’s supposed to prevent or reduce hyperhydrosis (excessively sweaty hands, pits and feet) read the instructions though it’s something like two days on and two days off then as required.
    You need to go to a chemist for it too!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Talcum powder. It’s so important that there’s a space for it on my pedal board.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    All good stuff.. thanks peeps !!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    I wear a sweatband on my right wrist. A lot of hand sweat runs down from the arm. It seems to help.

I don't like talc - ruins my strings.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Towel on the guitar stand and avoid shiny maple fingerboard smothered in finish.
    The calluses will firm up with long regular playing sessions which we have all missed.
    As a younger guitarist I had sweaty hands and needed to restring after every gig, after about 15 years my hands got better but it still runs of my forehead and forearms particularly at gigs.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    When I was younger, strings used to start to corrode and rust really quickly. I tried everything for it- fast fret, talc and even wd40. Doesn’t happen now so I must have had acidic sweat!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    I remember Alan Lymbrick (was that how his name is spelt???) at the guitar institute when it was in Acton, used to swear by wd40. I used it for a while. I got through the gig Btw. Thanks everyone!! I just tried to focus on playing and enjoying myself and the audience. Could do with more gigs now to get up to fitness (another one tonight anyway!!). 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24298
    I used to spray right-guard on my hands.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    Emp_Fab said:
    I used to spray right-guard on my hands.
    Did it work?? At least your guitar smells ok I guess (“other deodorant brands are available!”)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24298
    Yes, generally!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    I had terribly acidic sweat when I started, 2 gigs and a set of strings were done. Friend's wouldn't let me near their guitars. 

Exercise and a diet adjustment were key to sorting it out - way too much smoke, black coffee and alcohol at the time. I also found my sweat was more acidic and foul-smelling when stressed and nervous. 
    Cryptid said:
    I had terribly acidic sweat when I started, 2 gigs and a set of strings were done. Friend's wouldn't let me near their guitars. 

Exercise and a diet adjustment were key to sorting it out - way too much smoke, black coffee and alcohol at the time. I also found my sweat was more acidic and foul-smelling when stressed and nervous. 

True indeed. Thankyou. I do find if I go for a run before a gig everything flows a bit better. Rocknroll huh?
  • PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    +1 for a small towel on the guitar stand as I sweat an awful lot. I've also used superglue to reinforce callouses when desperate. Workes very well actually!
  • Just being slightly warm makes my hands stick to the neck even when not sweating as such. Fast fret on the strings helps the fingertips slide on the strings, but then my palm/thumb just sticks to the neck.  It Made joining bands difficult as I just couldn’t play any lead. Swopped to playing bass recently, a very satin neck and the extra space between the strings has helped massively and I managed to play well in a very hot rehearsal room.

I will try out the talc on my guitar Roland! 

edited August 2021
    Yea the sticky thing is a different pain isn’t it?? Oddly enough, if I sweat just enough then that’s not a problem any more.
    i have a gig tonight.. so I’ve just been for a run.. I really find that helps everything.. each to his own huh???
    (I remember reading an Al DiMeola tutor book where he advises keeping fit to be a better player.... seems to have worked for him?) 
    Also quickly washing my hands just before a gig helps... half the stickiness is from all the dirt your pedal board and cables pick up from all those venue and rehearsal room floors. 
    I have a gig tonight.. so I’ve just been for a run. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Surgical spirit helps create callouses.