SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Woodworm HSS Strat - £950 - Gig Bag

What's Hot
BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4784
edited October 2021 in Guitars £

Woodworm Drop Top - Red - Mahogany Neck & Body -

Restored by Rob and then fettled by Feline Guitars.

I bought this from the forum in 2019 - from RevMatt - it was looking a bit jaded and had seen some use over the years. The electrics had been fiddled with and were a car crash unfortunately. It did sound great however!

It was an original from Robs early days as Woodworm guitars (hence the neck plate), a custom order for a German guitarist who picked the fretboard logo of a chess King as that was his stage name I believe. 

So I decided to get in touch with Rob after deliberating for a bit and have the body sorted and resprayed, a black headstock overspray, and have a setup, rewire, new pots, new switch, new knobs, new neck plate, gold humbucker cover added, new screws etc.. I received it back in August last year. When I got it back the body looked great and Rob had done a good job of the headstock painting. I didn't have the neck refinished only polished leaving screw holes from some old tuners (pictured), the setup was done with 11-49. After a month or so the guitar seemed to develop a sitar sound on the B string which was slightly irritating so I stuck it in it's gig bag and played my other guitars instead. 

Fast forward to Jan/Feb I decided to fish it out again and thought it deserves sorting so I sent it to Jon at Feline Guitars (the best in the business for me) to sort it out and check out the set up for me. He also put an Earvana on for me as I really like them. Jon had it hardly any time at all and did an amazing job he also blocked the trem for me so it's dive only (reversible). He discovered that the sitar sound was due to there not being quite enough tension on the B string so he added a graphtech string tree for me. It now plays as well as it's ever done (better tbh!), it's got rock solid tuning stability, and a nice lived in feel on the neck. It's got a full and rounded sound, almost Les Paul/SG like thanks to the combo of woods I guess, but it can do the strat thing easily too! It's always in tune when it comes out of the bag which is a good sign of quality.

Soooooo, after all that, why am I selling it? Well I'm a single cut player at heart and every time I try a Strat I realise they aren't for me.... You think I'd have learnt by now but it is such a lovely guitar that is now about perfect and needs some love. Look at it, it's beautiful!! Anyway details below for anyone interested, happy to meet up or can arrange shipping whichever!

• Quilted Maple drop top on Mahogany body, reveal binding. 
  • Mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard - new black headstock face.
  • I believe its a 9.5" radius based on my gauges, modern Fender C style neck I would say.
  • Chess King first fret inlay - side repeaters but no other markers.
  • Full body resto/respray - one very small burn mark is visible under the laquer near the bridge, however you can't feel it.
  • New electrics - new volume and tone pot, new 5 way, push/pull on tone for parallel bridge pickup, new gold cover on bridge pickup
  • Gotoh hardware throughout, Magnum Locking tuners staggered, EV510TS tremolo bridge with steel saddles and FST block
  • Pickups are handwired by Martin Dufficy from the Little Guitar Shop in Birmingham in October 2013 and are as follows:
  • The single coils are early Sixties style with 8300 turns of 42 gauge wire and a DC resistance of 6.1 k ohms.
  • The humbucker is a PAF style with total of 10,000 turns of 42 gauge wire and alnico 2 magnet, D.C. resistance of 7.1K ohms.
  • Switching is neck, neck/middle, middle, middle/bridge, bridge. The push/pull on the tone gives you parallel humbucker tones.

The bad bits:

Screw holes visible where the tuners were replaced before I owned the guitar, a couple of barely noticable dents in the back of the neck. There is some lacquer checks in the back of the neck, neither Rob or Jon believe these are problematic, just cracks from the usual years of use and temperature changes over the years. One visible small ex burn mark on the body, which can't be felt but can be seen!

Comes complete with a Fender Gig Bag as I'm keeping the case I bought for it. 

I'll be honest I have no idea where to pitch this and I'm open to suggestions and offers, with what I paid for the guitar, the restoration, and the work Feline did for me, I'm out of pocket to the tune of £1.7k+.... So I'm gonna start this one at £950PPG plus shipping. If anyone wants to chat to me, feel free!!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    Pm'd
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • donnerdonner Frets: 48
    Lucky buggers you are, both! Congrats!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Man, now THAT was fast !!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JGCJGC Frets: 157
    I got one from @Hattigol on here recently and I love it, the buyer won't be disappointed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarmikguitarmik Frets: 13
    Just got an Xotic myself, sounds awesome and the neck carve fits perfectly in my hand. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4784
    edited June 2021
    SOLD - Xotic XSC Pro 2 - California Classic in Lake Placid Blue with Roasted Light Flame Maple Neck. Bought from the forum from a very fine gent. Only selling as I need the money back in the account, and I have 2 other Strat style guitars that I prefer at this moment. It's a great guitar but it's just not the one I get out, I will probably regret this as the LPB finish is amazing, as is the fretwork and neck, anyway.....

I'll let Peach's blurb explain it:

Hand built in sunny California, the Xotic California Classic XSC-Pro-2 is all about tone. With only the very best, most acoustically resonant woods selected, each guitar is a hand built masterpiece. The Pro-2 is a dealer exclusive series that takes the best features of the Xotic range and puts them together in a player focussed, stock model in a few select finishes.

A boutique take on the classic Strat shape, the Alder body is finished in a lush Lake Placid Blue with light relic. With a nitrocellulose lacquer coating, the body has space to breathe, allowing the beautiful, organic tones from each hand selected cut to really resonate.

The necks on these are something really special, Flame Roasted Maple. With a Modern C Shape neck profile, 12" radius and Jescar FW55090 frets it feels comfortable and familiar. Gotoh vintage style locking tuners and a Gotoh vintage style bridge deliver incredible tuning stability and intonation.

A duo of Xotic RV-60 singlecoil pickups deliver vintage Strat spank with a real punch and super clarity. At the bridge you get the fantastic RV-PAF humbucker, with Alnico magnets, each pickup is hand wound on site in LA. They have a super wide tonal range with a really punchy low end. The Raw Vintage pickups are a great feature of the Xotic California Classic XSC-Pro-2.

Before anyone asks, weight is 7lbs 10.5oz.

Looking for what I paid from the forum so £1850ono including UK mainland courier delivery.

https://imgur.com/a/3a9qhTJ

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Superb looking guitar! I normally don't like gold hardware, but it always looks great on a fancy red top.
    Thanks @axisus it is a lovely guitar, looks amazing too and I'm the same as you, I'm not that keen on gold harware but on red it just pops!

A little nudge

Bump

edited June 2021
    Bump - Price Drop

Bump

Bump

Bump

• Any trades in mind? 
    Any trades in mind? 
    I could do with the cash tbh, depends on what you're trading I suppose!! Hahahaha :)

Bump

Bump

Bump

Bump