Alternative to Pro jr. ? Home use fender-y cleans..

What's Hot
bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
I've been looking out for a cheap Pro jr for a while, no joy. I would probably be looking at a speaker upgrade too from the stock.. 

Anyway, are there any other small clean fender-y type home/bedroom combos I should be aware of?

Used is best.. looking at £150-£200... but it has to sound half-decent, I've got a mustang modeller for half-a-job tones
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    Laney Cub 10 - 6v6 and lovely cleans. Perhaps a little boxy for some, 10inch speaker, small enclosure but I loved mine. Cheap too!

• bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    Cub 10.. interesting. 10 inch speaker is the same as the Pro jr, not sure if the enclosure is smaller...? 

What is the stock speaker on the Cub 10? @chuffola
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    Hmmm.... Can't remember. It's a smaller box than the Pro Jnr but sounded great to me.  Gain, volume, tone - very simple, took pedals very well. Only used it at home, to be fair.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    no name "custom driver"...the cub12 does the HH speakers...i know someone who changed the speaker out of the cub 12 and put in a celestial creamback (i think) and it sounded so much better.
    @samzadgan that sounds familiar, I was thinking along the lines of a creamback for something 1x10 size. 

just seen that thomann have these new for less than £170... sounds very reasonable.. 

wouldn't mind getting one used though to be fair, a new speaker will add to the bill!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Belcat 20r or its replacement the Sub Zero 20 r
    I have the Belcat and chance would have it a mate has the Fender Jnr, had them both apart on the desk and they look v v similar,
    It is a cracking little amp and is my go-to for Jam sessions and recording
    @sweepy the belcat seems more like the blues jr tones, i'm really after the pro jr. vibes. it sounds like the laney cub10 is pretty close to it.. 

i've had laney's in the past and would definitely have another again given the chance
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    You should be able to get a Pro Jr for 200, that's what I got for mine which had a Ragin Cajun in it.
    @p90fool how does the ragin cajun fair in the pro jr. ?
    Tonally it wasn't that different to the stock speaker, but it handles a lot more power so it keeps the whole thing sounding more together at high volume.

Pro Jrs are LOUD, and the stock speaker can get farty and unpredictable.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Champion 600 sounds really sweet clean.  Not very loud and sounds nasty with drive (at least with the stock speaker) but I do like the clean tone.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    I have the Belcat and chance would have it a mate has the Fender Jnr, had them both apart on the desk and they look v v similar,
    Sorry for the threadjack, but does anyone know what the 50W Belcat/Sub Zero head is a clone of?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    Super Champ XD
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    VHT Special 6 is phenomenal, plus well within your price range, for a point-to-point handwired amp too!. I use mine all the time for jamming and even small gigs. Quite a bit of clean headroom for a 6-watter, but also has some tweedy grunt too with the boost. They're about £120 on Thomann.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    sweepy said:
    Sorry for the threadjack, but does anyone know what the 50W Belcat/Sub Zero head is a clone of?
    I'm sure I read somewhere what it was, but I'm struggling to remember :)) Maybe just almost like a higher wattage blues junior? Don't quote me on that, though (obviously), I could well be misremembering.
    VHT Special 6 is phenomenal, plus well within your price range, for a point-to-point handwired amp too!. I use mine all the time for jamming and even small gigs. Quite a bit of clean headroom for a 6-watter, but also has some tweedy grunt too with the boost. They're about £120 on Thomann.
    point to point for £120? there must be a catch!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    edited August 2014
    ^ QC is iffy. And the tone stack uses slightly weird values which make it sound pretty dark stock (for me the tone control goes between 3 o'clock and full up :)) ). Don't get me wrong, I like mine and it's one of the better cheapo 5 watters out of the box- but you can still tell it's a cheapo 5 watter. A pro junior is better, basically. Or maybe that yerasov (alleged) clone would be worth a look, but I haven't tried it.
    I'd still hold out for a Pro Jr to be honest. A quick search of completed listings shows that they usually don't reach £200.

They're really great amps, and possibly the loudest grab and go combo you'll find at that size and weight.
    The stock speaker is perfectly ok too, I only replaced mine because it went buzzy after ten years of loud gigging.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Regarding the VHT Special 6, mine is really good, but I wouldn't say that it gives typical "Fender cleans" - at least not how I would interpret that.  At low volumes the Champion 600 is much more in the ballpark.

If you can get a Pro Junior for under £200 that would probably be the way to go.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Pro Juniors are great amps .. I had a rare tweed covered one. However, they are very loud in a small room and not neighbour friendly as you have to turn up the volume to get a crunch tone. Probably OK if you just want clean. I sold mine and bought a 5 watt Fender reissue Champ which I love. I don't know why Fender doesn't produce a 5 watt tube amp.

Coda Music in Stevenage had a second hand Pro Junior for £200 so you can get them at a decent price.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!