New head suggestions (clean, reliable, not crazy expensive)

What's Hot
JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 234
My Aguilar Tonehammer 350 just shit itself. Accidentally set to the wrong voltage (after it had died and was permanently on 'clipping'  and apparently that fries the entire output module at the least (which cost about as much as the amp cost me!).

Not keen on replacing dying kit with another identical piece. I'm looking for a head up to 500w that takes distortion and fuzz well, with a flexible but not crazy EQ. I play a vintage P-bass and am currently in a hard-rock/stoner band in the vein of Thin Lizzy, Sabbath, Sleep etc. So need a nice crunchy-ish base tone that cleans up, but has enough headroom for a good dollop of fuzz. Preferably not too heavy, and RELIABLE. I can't stand it when stuff breaks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Unfortunately this might fail on being not *too* heavy, but...

Peavey MkVIII.

350W into 4 ohms or 600W into 2 ohms. Classic Peavey slightly rough and unrefined 'rock bass' tone that takes fuzz and distortion spectacularly well, 9-band graphic EQ and high/low shelving knobs, louder than a jet engine and would probably still be working after a nuclear strike.

I do slightly miss mine, but I have to admit it was a bit of a lump. Although nothing compared to the 4x10" cabinet which I think was actually designed as an underground bunker...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited June 2021
    My nomination is for the tc electronic (discontinued) Staccato '51 or the RH-450. 

These are, essentially, the same thing except that the S'51 gets Rocco Pesteria's pseudo Ampeg preset as its default sound.

ICBM will shortly explain why my suggestion is terrible.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24235
    TC Amps. All limited to about 260w no matter what it says on the box. Excessive compression adding the impression of loudness.

Sound like slapping a wet rag on a wall, only quieter.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24235
    Tech 21 VT500 is very good and has been the subject of a blowout recently so you might get a cheap one. I just got one and it does a very good Ampeg tone.

V1 Darkglass M900 goes used for under £500 and is very good too.

Theres a few recently discontinued Orange heads that would fit the brief as well.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    The Genzler Magellan heads are great. I've got some Genz Benz kit, which was Jeff Genzler's previous company that Fender bought out and consumed, and it's fantastic. The Genzler stuff is a step up again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    The Ampeg PF500
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I've been very happy with my Ampeg PF350 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 234
    We just got a good deal on an Ampeg SVT450h with a flightcase.

From what I understand, they're loud and clinical, which to be honest will do me. No tubes, which is good. I can always add pedals for flavour!
    Going halves with the bassist of another band I'm in so if it doesn't blow me away I won't be too disheartened.
    Anyone got an opinion on these things?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293

From what I understand, they're loud and clinical, which to be honest will do me. No tubes, which is good. I can always add pedals for flavour!
    Going halves with the bassist of another band I'm in so if it doesn't blow me away I won't be too disheartened.
    It’s effectively a B2 in a traditional SVT-style case. Loud, reliable, heavy (for solid state). I wouldn’t say clinical - it sounds like an Ampeg, just a bit less so than a full-on valve SVT.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 234
    ICBM said:

It’s effectively a B2 in a traditional SVT-style case. Loud, reliable, heavy (for solid state). I wouldn’t say clinical - it sounds like an Ampeg, just a bit less so than a full-on valve SVT.
    Good good. Read some awful reviews post-purchase so was feeling slightly roped-in to a regrettable purchase! £400 delivered with flight case... not too bad. 
    Yeah sadly the classic Ampeg ‘look’ which undoubtedly adds to the weight is part of the stage image. My back will not be benefiting from our vanity. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    Have you thought about the Ashdown RM 500 , and their after sales service is great 
    Riddim up
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    For the style you play and what it seems like you're after one of the Orange bass heads will be perfect, they work great with a P bass and Orange gear is very reliable and easily repairable if needed. Check out the Terror head https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/orange/orange-bass-amps/orange-terror-bass-head
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • casapetecasapete Frets: 5
    Fender Rumble - 500 or 800 heads are fantastic - sound great, portable and not stupidly priced.