New PRS Hendrix amps

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
edited June 2021 in Amps
Just been sent the details on these, sounds interesting. But they got access to Jimi's original Woodstock amps and have tried to copy them and get that sound, just in a modern day amp. 

https://www.gearnews.com/prs-guitars-hx-amplifiers-with-an-authentic-hendrix-woodstock-tone/

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Looks like they got access to one of his Dave Weyer modded amps, not necessarily one of the Woodstock amps.  Dave reckons by then Jimi was using the versions with 6550's instead of EL34's, complete with higher voltage power supply for more headroom and dynamic range.  There's a very long thread over at Metropolous with Dave spilling the beans on everything he did for Jimi with people analysing photo's from behind the stage at Woodstock looking for the oval stickers and trying to work out the size of the power valves!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ll buy one a play it with my Gibson strat 
    https://www.gearnews.com/fender-jimi-hendrix-stratocaster/

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    I don't really think anyone will really believe these will make them sound like Hendrix, but you know marketing...

I’ll buy one a play it with my Gibson strat 
    https://www.gearnews.com/fender-jimi-hendrix-stratocaster/

Nah mate, that was this 'bag of luke warm shit' 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    Yeah sounds like a Marshall Drenched in univibe. ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looks like they got access to one of his Dave Weyer modded amps, not necessarily one of the Woodstock amps.  Dave reckons by then Jimi was using the versions with 6550's instead of EL34's, complete with higher voltage power supply for more headroom and dynamic range.  There's a very long thread over at Metropolous with Dave spilling the beans on everything he did for Jimi with people analysing photo's from behind the stage at Woodstock looking for the oval stickers and trying to work out the size of the power valves!

I actually know one of Hendrix's roadies and he once said to me that all Jimi's amps weighed a fucking ton and he made them all sound great, whatever was inside them. LOL!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    stonevibe said:
    Just been sent the details on these, sounds interesting. But they got access to Jimi's original Woodstock amps and have tried to copy them and get that sound, just in a modern day amp. 

https://www.gearnews.com/prs-guitars-hx-amplifiers-with-an-authentic-hendrix-woodstock-tone/
    Odd that they should choose to use the wrong valves then... you would think that's one of the most basic things to get right.

http://forum.metropoulos.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=43932

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Odd isn’t it? They’ve copied what they had access to, but more likely that was from a previous US tour before the move to 6550’s and higher power and voltage transformers.  
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2354
    edited June 2021
    Is the world really crying out for this product? From PRS?

I don’t get it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Read the thread. Dave Weyer says the amps had 6550s and 12AT7 phase inverters at Woodstock, and there's so much technical detail as to why that it's highly unlikely he's making it up. Apparently there's photographic evidence too, although I haven't seen it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave8Dave8 Frets: 244
    edited June 2021
    Odd isn’t it? They’ve copied what they had access to, but more likely that was from a previous US tour before the move to 6550’s and higher power and voltage transformers.  
    I guess it’s also possible that amp they looked at is a/the Woodstock Hendrix amp.. but has since had the 6550s swapped back to EL34s. 

The amp sounds good to me, on the prs videos… but yea, not something I would really want. 
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    StefB said:
    Is the world really crying out for this product? From PRS?

I don’t get it. 
    This. 

Who exactly is this for? Dentists and lawyers are surely buying vintage amps.

Honestly - it's like the Book of Shit Marketing 101
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    More cashing in on a dead man's name.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Who the fuck is going to use it in the way it was originally designed?
    Even on festival stages running a 100w non-MV valve amp flat out is going to make you no friends with the sound guys. And Hendrix wanted more headroom because he wanted more volume and less saturation… so there are many other ways of achieving the same now without resorting to this…
    Genuinely a useless product.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dave8 said:
    I guess it’s also possible that amp they looked at is a/the Woodstock Hendrix amp.. but has since had the 6550s swapped back to EL34s. 

Or Jimi's 'sister' told PRS to market it as the Woodstock amp in order to continue her mission to screw as much cash as possible out of his name, regardless of legitimacy or morals!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I think the amp sounds great in the clips. Tone wise I can see it being what some people want.

However, a 100w NMV amp? I can see that being something nobody wants. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I think the Silver Sky reverse headstock should be viewed as an early indication that this was going to happen…
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    edited June 2021 tFB Trader
    Amazing, just as Marshall are working on their Brian May tribute amp

https://i.imgur.com/wE8wumn.jpg

Of course, it’s in its early stages of design.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I don't think enough research has been carried out on Hendrix's equipment.
    It's far too soon to rush these things out of the factory gates.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom