B&G set up pickle

What's Hot
TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
I have got myself in something of a pickle setting up my B&G Little Sister. I acquired a brass ABR bridge and went about removing the original to fit it, only to find that the bridge fitted is already solid brass.

On trying to set the guitar up again I cannot seem to get a balance between the height of the action and the strings slipping off the saddles and (I think because I cannot get that set up), I can't get the neck relief to my liking either. It seems to be like the old the legged stool where as soon as I change one thing another goes out of whack. 

Appreciate any advice on how to re-set and start again with a list of what to do and the sequence of doing it to get back on track, plus any thoughts on heights of bridge pillars, strings at the bridge P90 and how to get a suitable break angle. The B&G has a brass tail piece fixed to the butt of the body so that makes it shallower I think.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Have a look on youtube for a tutorial about the T.R.A.I.N. method
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26905
    edited June 2021
    I assume that's Tuning, Relief, Action, Intonation, Nut height?

Sounds about right - check and adjust each thing in that order then repeat if necessary. If needed I would cycle TRAI and ignore nut till the end, assuming it's roughly right, as you never want to take away too much material. I would assume the nut should be cut correctly on a B&G anyway
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16644
    Work in order.

I go Nut, Relief, Action, Intonation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16644

Sounds about right - check and adjust each thing in that order then repeat if necessary. If needed I would cycle TRAI and ignore nut till the end, assuming it's roughly right, as you never want to take away too much material. I would assume the nut should be cut correctly on a B&G anyway
    personally i do Nut first. 

I want to know the relief and action are going to work with the nut properly slotted... for most styles a nut is either properly slotted or it isn't, so it should be done first.  

in this case, i wouldn't expect the nut to need anything doing other than a quick check.

there is no problem going back and forth as you are getting used to this, but always work through the steps in order or you end up chasing your tail
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    Put a capo at the first and take the nut out of it to begin with then get the relief first if that's easier.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4484

They're using it to mean Tune - Relief - Action - Intonation - Noodle.  In other words, the parts of a setup anyone should be able to do, and not the things you probably want a tech do do for you (nut and fretwork).
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26905
    WezV said:

personally i do Nut first. 

I want to know the relief and action are going to work with the nut properly slotted... for most styles a nut is either properly slotted or it isn't, so it should be done first.  

in this case, i wouldn't expect the nut to need anything doing other than a quick check.

there is no problem going back and forth as you are getting used to this, but always work through the steps in order or you end up chasing your tail
    Yeah, that makes sense. I was assuming the nut was already vaguely ok as it's a new guitar. I guess not always a given with some brands though!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1729
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Work in order.

I go Nut, Relief, Action, Intonation
    This order every time for me too
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    First fix the saddles, file that groove a bit deeper, then set trussrod and action before any next step. 

If the bridge radius isn't right then again fix the saddle depths with a file. I always prefer a flatter radius on the low strings (higher E and A) than what comes on every bridge, so tend to jack up bridge till the low E is right and plays without sloppy buzz, then file down the A,D,G till it feels correct.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Thanks all 

probably should have said that prior to taking the bridge off it was set up fine. I can’t seem to get it back and somehow in the process the relief has gone out. The nut is fine.