Solos in each pentatonic box

What's Hot
BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
Does anyone know any (not too technical) solos that are in each pentatonic position?
So for example, Hey Joe is in shape 1 - that sort of example?
What's a good solo in position 1,2,3,4,5?
Thanks guys!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Most guitarists in pop/rock stuff just use a couple of positions for the bulk of the solo and even when in a major key often use the relative minor pentatonic anyway. Think you might struggle to find solos that specifically use a certain shape outside of maybe a tutorial book with some solos built for that purpose.

What is a useful exercise for this, and is helpful in many other ways, would be to take some licks or chunks of solo from one shape and figure out and play them in the other shapes. Even if you need to figure them out with a pen and paper first it gets you using and hearing the important tones in the lesser used shapes.
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    Dan_Halen said:

What is a useful exercise for this, and is helpful in many other ways, would be to take some licks or chunks of solo from one shape and figure out and play them in the other shapes. Even if you need to figure them out with a pen and paper first it gets you using and hearing the important tones in the lesser used shapes.
    Great suggestion. 

There’s a bit of Ladies Night in Buffalo that’s in the 3rd position. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4137
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 94

Very useful! Thanks! Not that that sort of rock-god thing's my style, but great to learn and have under the belt! 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28330
    Actually the thing that most progressed my improv* was shifting between the boxes rather than staying in one. Moving around the neck a lot more. 

*please don't confuse me with someone impressive though
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Yes ,try to play the same little solo/ditty/melody out of all the positions of the key
    THEN,
    Try and play them between 2 positions in the same key 
     Then try and play them between 2 other positions in same key
    You will soon find that linking up the pentatonic (or any other scale boxes )becomes quite fluent and automatic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited June 2021
    Have a listen to some early Clapton. Cream is a good start. A lot of the solos are focussed around 1 or 2 boxes.

White Room, for example, I think is mainly based on the 1st and 2nd.

Also you can move around to add dynamics (e.g. 1 and 2 for a bit, than move to 3 and 4 for a bit.) 

Again, Clapton is good to work out If you like that kind of thing.

It's probably limiting to see the fretboard in 'boxes' but I do...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    For me the "boxes" (pentatonic, caged, etc) provide 3 bits of information. 

Lowest bass note.
    Highest note in the lead line.
    Where the root note is.

Playing stuff on one string alone helps place those boxes as you ruefully note needing to drop the melody line by an octave to continue playing it (coulda stepped off onto the next string at the fifth fret if I wasn't playing one string) and notice it sounds better to change octave on some notes than others.

Boxes are fun for finding the slickest points to transition from one to the other... I think the trick with improvisation is boxes present convenient patterns but those patterns might not be the patterns we genuinely wanted to play. Practising Improvisation involves not being entertained by the easy alternatives to sound we originally wanted to hear :)
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 182
    BlueStrat said:
    Does anyone know any (not too technical) solos that are in each pentatonic position?
    Thanks guys!

This vid I did on my channel should really help you as it's all about playing out of the chords.

Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • arayadisarayadis Frets: 47
    Comfortably Numb is a very good example for pentatonic shapes Stairway to Heaven too.
    You'll see most of the classic rock song solos have all the boxes.

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    BlueStrat said:
    Thanks guys!

Dancing In the Moonlight (Thin Lizzy) is 95% box 1.

I'm doing it now and pretty much have it except I can't do the 'twiddly bit' at record tempo so will adapt that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom