Hummingbird acoustic imitators. Epiphone, Suzuki, Hondo, Sigma, Yamaha, up to Gibson...

What's Hot
Seems to be so many imitations of the Gibson Hummingbird, easily found at nearly every price category. While they all might look like the real thing online, are the neck profiles all different, and depend on the brand etc.
I used a Gibson once for recording and the neck was definitely the nicest acoustic neck I played. Felt comfy like an electric guitar.
Any folk play the imitations, or copies if you want to call them that!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I have a Yamaha FG300. A copy in looks only but a fine guitar non the less. Almost a V shaped neck and a slightly thinner body. It’s remained with me for years whilst others have come and gone because it’s a dam good guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    I guess it's a case of playing them, the old fashioned way!
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    That Inspired by Gibson Epiphone looks the ticket. Someone on here I’m sure had one and loved it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3961
    Andy79 said:
    That Inspired by Gibson Epiphone looks the ticket. Someone on here I’m sure had one and loved it. 
    I’ve got the Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J45 and it’s a fantastic guitar, I’d definitely check out the Hummingbird.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I've had 2 Hummingbird Modern Classics. If you find a good one, it'll compare well to a Martin, say. I've never tried a copy but if you like the tone, playability and feel, go for it. But do try before you buy, regardless of brand name. 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Sigma ;)
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I usually look for cheap copies on eBay and fb marketplace I foolishly sold my epiphone about 4 years ago as I mainly play electric but would like something cheap that looks “Keefy “  to play wild horses , Angie , etc on  preferably in that nice cherry sunburst  not much bargain basement stuff about though  eg £100 + postage 

Pete and the other guy do some good reviews on the epiphone pro and the sigma, the sigma is awesome and the epiphone  inspired by is  Pretty amazing . The epiphone SJ equivalent seems really good if you dig that,but I’ve always loved the hummingbird . 

That j45 is ace ,the slash one is too 
  • The Yamaha fg820 830 series in autumn burst look good
  • I’d like to check out one of the Sigmas sometime 
  • I’d like to check out one of the Sigmas sometime 
    They seem really nice 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    edited January 2022
    Seagull sold, so officially back on the acoustic hunt again. Hummingbird type Sigma is one I have my eye on, but so much choice...
    e.g. Epi Hummingbird Studio.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    serious question  -  whats the difference between a Hummingbird and a Dove ?   purely the scratchplate ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 735
    I've never played a Hummingbird so I don't know if it should be the gold standard for Sitka/Mahogany square-shouldered dreadnoughts. There are lots of lovely similar guitars.

My Yamaha FG5 is very nice (and very cheaper!). So I would recommend that as a competitor.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited January 2022
    The Bird (if you find a good one) is a magical thing. I've had two, one of which was a true keeper. If only I'd known back then! @bertie not sure as I've never had a Dove. Possible differences under the hood? Better grade of woods?  
  • The reason I am considering the Gibson Humminbird knockoff is I am hoping the neck on the imitations are a similar profile. The Gibson one I played felt almost like playing an electric guitar.
    I see the Sigma has a slightly wider nut than the Epiphone. I'd prefer to find one without any pickups. I am not a huge fan of the under saddle pickups, I'd rather put something in the soundhole.
    My head is turned by the Yamaha parlors as well. You go down that rabbit hole and you can consider Guild etc.
  • I tried one of the PRS SE parlour guitars and the neck felt great. Many people have compare the profile to more of an electric guitar profile than a traditional acoustic. Very playable guitar indeed .
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5354

• The Gibson Hummingbird’s back and side are made of mahogany, whereas the back and side of the Gibson Dove are made of flame maple
    • The Gibson Dove’s scale length is 25.5 inches, whereas the scale length on the Hummingbird is 24.75 inches

Those appear to be the material differences in terms of sound/playing. There are cosmetic ones too.

Taken from: https://guitarspace.org/acoustic-guitars/gibson-dove-vs-hummingbird/ with no attempt to check accuracy :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    @Snags ;   -   thanks  :) 

24.75 for a Dread !  bet that adds some bottom end

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1086
    edited January 2022
    I imagine the similarities between an actual Gibson Hummingbird and most of the copies extends to cosmetics alone.

Most of them are laminate back and sides.
    Some of them don't even use mahogany for back and sides.
    Many of them have 25.5" scale length.
    Hardly any (none?) of them are nitro finished.
    Some of the Japanese "vintage" or "law suit era" ones have zero frets and/or bolt in necks.
    If manufacturers are willing to bastardise the design to that extent, God knows what bracing types/patterns they'll use.
    The neck profiles will almost definitely be different.

The list goes on...

So if it's just the "look" of a Hummingbird you're after, there's endless choice. If you want a guitar that actually is a Hummingbird, the IBG Epiphone is as close as you'll get (nitro and neck profile notwithstanding) without spending $$$
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1086
    The reason I am considering the Gibson Humminbird knockoff is I am hoping the neck on the imitations are a similar profile. The Gibson one I played felt almost like playing an electric guitar.
    I've never known any copy of a classic design to go to the trouble of getting the neck profile right.

Even Epiphone neck profiles are rather dissimilar to that on the equivalent Gibson guitar.

Come to think of it, neck profiles from Gibson to Gibson (on the same model) can be quite different. Especially on vintage models.