Pink Floyd…what am I missing?

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
edited June 2021 in Music
This isn’t intended as a negative thread or designed to stir things up. Genuinely looking for some pointers or tips but it could just be that it isn’t for me.

Im really trying to get into Floyd. Have listened to all the “big” records. Was at Murrayfield yesterday for the Lions game and listened to Live at Pompei (1972) on the train. I just can’t get very excited by this stuff. It’s so “ambient” and many songs are very similar. Do I need to be stoned to fully appreciate it?!

The most I’ve enjoyed it is watching David Gilmores recent live at pompei DVD, mabye because I can visually see what he’s doing on guitar during the ambient stuff. Mabye it’s a bit more guitar centric than the Floyd albums. Mabye I prefer his solo work.

What should I be focussing on to better appreciate Pink Floyd?  So many people seem to put them on the highest pedestal.

By contrast, listening to Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott’s this morning and it blows me away. Having listened to lots of 50s/60s jazz recently I can see where it all fits in.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
    You don't have to like it because others do:-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 22reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Don't worry about. You gave it a good try, Floyd just isn't for you. I did the same with a lot of "prog rock", particularly Yes. I tried for ages to "get it" but it never clicked. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1568
    Each to his own I suppose. I do find a lot of their stuff a bit hit and miss but then again I think Wish You Where Here is one of the greatest songs ever recorded and David Gilmores
    vocals are just sublime.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    TINMAN82 said:
    Im really trying to get into Floyd. 
    Why?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    I reckon listen to the double album best-of Echoes. If none of that floats your boat, then you don't like Pink Floyd. And as the band has changed so much over the years that'll give you a good overview. It could be you like one era and not another.

I love loads of Pink Floyd, but oddly I'm not keen on Wish You Were Here. I don't like the production and I'm bored of Shine On. But Meddle, Animals, The Wall are some of my favourite albums. 

• martmart Frets: 5205
    p90fool said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Why?
    The wages are good?
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    Yo don’t have to focus on anything nor worry about it,
    Pink Floyd did their thing like many others,
    and they are no better or worse than many others, they are just Pink Floyd,
    enjoy and listen to the music you want,
    maybe tomorrow you will change your mind,
    that’s the beauty of it as well,
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    edited June 2021
    This is one of the greatest pieces of rock ever recorded in my opinion:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited June 2021
    Music is marmite, you either like it or you don’t and nobody can or should change your mind on it. You can also appreciate it on a technical level but that still doesn’t mean you have to like it. For example I think Nile Rogers is a guitar god however I hate disco music.
    Ps if you’ve not heard it listen to the Jeff  Beck album Jeff one of his later masterpieces
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    TINMAN82 said:

By contrast, listening to Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott’s this morning and it blows me away. Having listened to lots of 50s/60s jazz recently I can see where it all fits in.
    If you like Beck, first listen to Roger Waters’ solo album Amused To Death - he’s on it.

If you can get into the songwriting, then listen to Pink Floyd’s The Final Cut. If you like *that*, then get The Wall...

I know that’s the exact opposite direction most Floyd fans would suggest.

You might not ever get the pre-DSOTM stuff really - I do now, but only because I can see where it led... and I still don’t really get the Syd era. (Sorry.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    edited June 2021
    p90fool said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Why?
    Fair question. My tastes are pretty eclectic and some favourites (particularly in the jazz genre) have been very much “acquired” through repeat listening and developing understanding of the musical context. I find much of Coltranes stuff rewarding (for want of a better word) now whereas a couple of years ago I’d have given it a pass. I like plenty of mainstream stuff too, the Stones are probably still my favourite band.

Given how revered Gilmore is among many guitar players I thought I should give Floyd a proper shot. Think it’s one band I’ll have to file in the “not for me” section.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Don't worry about it - you don't have to like Pink Floyd
    That Jeff Beck concert is amazing, I love watching that - but it's the opposite approach to the music - all very high intensity, not "ambient" in any way!

If you like DG's playing, try listening to some of his solo albums

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    ICBM said:
    TINMAN82 said:

If you like Beck, first listen to Roger Waters’ solo album Amused To Death - he’s on it.

If you can get into the songwriting, then listen to Pink Floyd’s The Final Cut. If you like *that*, then get The Wall...

I know that’s the exact opposite direction most Floyd fans would suggest.

You might not ever get the pre-DSOTM stuff really - I do now, but only because I can see where it led... and I still don’t really get the Syd era. (Sorry.)
    Great…exactly the sort of suggestion I was after, thanks. I’ll give this a shot,
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
    If you are wondering what all the fuss is about, then dip a toe into the post Syd, pre DSOTM era (ie just after Gilmour joined).

This will give you the pretty hippy stuff that allowed them to indulge, and then of course find their conceptual direction.

But nothing is guaranteed - they are just another band, who created music that many people love, and many do not. I go through phases where I cannot listen to them, and phases when they are never off the turntable).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960

I love Gilmour’s playing and I can’t stand his solo albums :).

I don’t even like post-Waters Floyd much...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    The Floyd went downhill after Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Couple of things on DSOTM are OK.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    ICBM said:

I love Gilmour’s playing and I can’t stand his solo albums :).

I don’t even like post-Waters Floyd much...
    The ongoing spat between Waters and Gilmour says it all really, both are in denial that they need(ed) each other.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited June 2021
    I'm like this with a lot of prog rock, it's just too meandering and boring, takes too long to get to the good bits and for some reason I find all those cheesy old synth sounds really depressing to listen to. Don't particularly like Gilmour's voice either, it's the audio equivalent of vanilla.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    edited June 2021
    If you'd rather try something modern but with Floyd influences then try Riverside. Brilliant Polish band. 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    TINMAN82 said:
    p90fool said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Why?
    Fair question. My tastes are pretty eclectic and some favourites (particularly in the jazz genre) have been very much “acquired” through repeat listening and developing understanding of the musical context. I find much of Coltranes stuff rewarding (for want of a better word) now whereas a couple of years ago I’d have given it a pass. I like plenty of mainstream stuff too, the Stones are probably still my favourite band.

Given how revered Gilmore is among many guitar players I thought I should give Floyd a proper shot. Think it’s one band I’ll have to file in the “not for me” section.
    That's fair, I've acquired quite a few musical tastes after perseverance. 

For me though, Pink Floyd have hidden shallows rather than depths. It's just "pretty" for want of a better word, you won't find Coltrane in there!