Whats you preferred body size and why?

What's Hot
If you could choice one body shape what would you pick and why?

Body Size and what style/music would and could you use on it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3615
    I find Dreadnaughts uncomfortable to play for any length of time so my main guitar is a 000/concert size. For fingerstyle and mainly Celtic tunes. 

Having said that I’ve recently got a Parlour size 12 string which feels so comfortable to play that I may look for a six string version. 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 72
    OM or 000, best balance of tone and comfort for me. The short scale on the 000 size is another comfort bonus. 
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    drofluf said:
    I find Dreadnaughts uncomfortable to play for any length of time so my main guitar is a 000/concert size. For fingerstyle and mainly Celtic tunes. 

Having said that I’ve recently got a Parlour size 12 string which feels so comfortable to play that I may look for a six string version. 
    Yes i find the Dreads are too big. I have a maton 808 which is in-between a 00 and 0M with deep body. 

I find the 5" depth can be a struggle on the arm sometime so I might look at an 00 or OM body with different woods
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    00 or 000 are most comfy.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    00 preferably 12 fret. 
    Seems so far 00 are looking popular!

What’s the sound like going between 00 and 000 ?

Mahogany and spruce? 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

Mahogany and spruce? 
    How long is a piece of string?
    00's can be boxier, but are you flat picking or playing finger style?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    The best sounding acoustic I've ever played was a Lowden, their big one (can't recall the number/model). To this day I regret not picking it up at the time (I had this weird notion that my skills weren't good enough for it). So I guess that'd be my preferred size, but I'm happy enough my my OM.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1568
    0 or 00 short scale for finger style blues.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    edited July 2021
    OM
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    I have acoustic guitars in a number of sizes being 0-12, 00-12, 00-14, OM, and a 12 string small jumbo.

I like aspects of all of them and they have their specific advantages.

Mahogany and spruce? 
    I have a 00-12 and OM in spruce and mahogany and they are almost impossible to compare, they are two very different guitars.

All my guitars are spruce and mahogany aside from the 00-14, but they are all very different in character. I think the bracing is the most important aspect to it all.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Wow... not one single other person so far?

Dreadnought, for me. They just sound better.

If it matters I'm 5'6", skinny and with small hands too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    ICBM said:

the best guitar I've ever heard (but not played) was a 12 fret, round shouldered dread. It had everything. If I ever win the lottery I reckon I'd be hunting down something like that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited July 2021
    Dread for me. I like to listen to the bass go boom. Or at least have some bass in the sound. I use mine for strummy stuff, fingerstyle stuff, pop songs, efforts at jazz, whatever. I prefer the look of OMs and slope shoulder dreadnoughts but usually find the sound disappointing. The long neck and small body on OMs seems weird to me too, I'd prefer a shorter scale on that body size. 
  • VimFuego said:
    ICBM said:

the best guitar I've ever heard (but not played) was a 12 fret, round shouldered dread. It had everything. If I ever win the lottery I reckon I'd be hunting down something like that.
    I have a 12 fret Martin Ditson 111 and it is indeed wonderful, but the best all round size would be a 000 or an OM. Surely this is why most of us have several guitars?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    malcolmkindness said:

Surely this is why most of us have several guitars?
    I have two main guitars... a Gibson Dreadnought, and a Martin 12-string 12-fret Dreadnought :).

(And a Vintage 00-000 size, but one day I will replace that with a Gibson or Epiphone J-160E electric round-shoulder Dreadnought ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    00 Nick Lucas depth in Maple. Many have come and gone but that combination is really really  Really good 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    ICBM said:

I'm inclined to agree.  All the smaller bodied acoustics I've owned sounded kind of lane. But my hd28vs and d18 sounded louder, richer and way more dynamic 
    I think that having a selection of acoustics is nice :) any excuse to buy more guitars. 

My stage guitar is my Maton and not many guitars sound better to my ears at a gig. But acoustically they are not the most resonant or dynamic guitars. Tightly built.

if a guitar sounds huge acoustically, (lots of bass) that can be a guitar that is hard to amplify. Lowdens, as
    an example are the opposite to Maton, lightly
    built and sounds amazing unplugged but in a live situation take a lot of tweaking as they
    are too boomy.

So i guess I’ll be looking next for something that I can play at home to record that Is inspiring to play,
    balanced and comfortable. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    Put me down as a fan of the shape of many names: 808, 00, 000, OM, auditorium, traditional, grand auditorium, orchestra .... they all mean much the same thing in a general way, and you can't rely on any given manufacturer using the same term  to mean the same thing as any other manufacturer.

I guess I like parlours the least (probably because I've only played a handful and they were all tinny little things - people tell me a good one can be great) and I'm not a big fan of dreadnoughts, though I love a good jumbo.

So in order:
    * OM (AKA 808 AKA Grand auditorium AKA all those other names for the same thing)
    * Jumbo
    * Dreadnought
    * Parlour

Having said that, two of my five guitars are dreadnoughts, though I've nearly decided to sell one of them in favour of another 808.