One amp to rule them all - for blues / rock home use and jamming only

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    Hottubes said:
    Princeton reveb for me is the perfect home amp.
    Mine has just been displaced by a tone king gremlin, no reverb or trem but can match the clean and has a tweedy overdriven channel at proper home volumes with the atenuattor.  Until I find the next one this is the ultimate home amp!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    Marshall DSL5cr or a Marshall SL5 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    edited July 2021
    Surprised no one has mentioned Carr yet - really great stuff across Fender and Marshall flavours and with excellent onboard attenuators

Otherwise I’m a big BadCat fan - Cub 15R is a good option if you want something Voxy flavoured.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I have bought a Marshall SV20h and matching SV212 cab. 

It is loud.  Not much difference between the 5 and 20W settings as stated above.  

You can turn It down but it is just about ok at full pelt.  I am thinking of an attenuator or ear plugs as a cheaper option.  I am guessing taking off the top 20% would do it.  

Lazy J still an option.  I should have said two amps to rule them all.  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Voxman said:
    Laneys are always worth a look. The Cubs and Supercubs sound great. 
    This. Laney are hugely underrated! The Cub is competitively priced, great features, and sounds really good...I'd dare to suggest it could give similar size boutique amps costing 4 or 5 times the price a good run for their money. 12" speaker, full EQ, all valve, excellent digital reverb, fx loop, 8/16 Ohm extn cab out, built in tilt stand, and 1w and 15w input. Super Cub has a distortion boost that can be foot controlled.  

You can get a free 5 yr warrantly if you register on line, and customer service from Laney is superb.

Even years out of warranty they offer a fixed price amp repair service.  Some months back I had an intermittent fault on my 9yr old Laney Cub 12R  Can't remember exact figure but it was around £60 Inc pick up and redelivery, regardless of time to fix. Got it back in under a week and good as new! 

Sounds great at home, wonderful cleans, very Marshall like gain (it's based on a Marshall circuit), and plenty loud for small club gigging and rehearsals. Ive even put mine through a 4x12 Marshall Cab in rehearsal rooms and it just blew my mind how huge this 15w amp sounded!  

Really can't recommend Laney, and the Cub 12R in particular, enough. If it doesnt put a big smile on your face when you play it, then you probably need to think about taking up drums or something! Lol 
    But...

They sound awful 

Same goes for the katana and the Roland cube things.

Take yourself to coda music and try everything you can afford
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 360
    edited July 2021
    Brunetti Pleximan. I’ve had mine a few weeks now and despite being 50 Watts it’s easy to get it sounding good at low volume. Clean and drive channels both sound great and the hot rod switch takes it almost to a three channel amp. 
    Ordered mine direct from Marco in Italy and was at my door in less than three weeks and for a very reasonable price! 

Edit. Having said that, it’s not as versatile as a Mesa Mark IV 25. Maybe look into one of those too. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Surprised no one has mentioned Carr yet - really great stuff across Fender and Marshall flavours and with excellent onboard attenuators

Otherwise I’m a big BadCat fan - Cub 15R is a good option if you want something Voxy flavoured.
    If you mean the 15w Cub 12R, its based on a Marshall Circuit and sounds Marshallesque; its nothing like a Vox. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Voxman said:
    Laneys are always worth a look. The Cubs and Supercubs sound great. 
    This. Laney are hugely underrated! The Cub is competitively priced, great features, and sounds really good...I'd dare to suggest it could give similar size boutique amps costing 4 or 5 times the price a good run for their money. 12" speaker, full EQ, all valve, excellent digital reverb, fx loop, 8/16 Ohm extn cab out, built in tilt stand, and 1w and 15w input. Super Cub has a distortion boost that can be foot controlled.  

You can get a free 5 yr warrantly if you register on line, and customer service from Laney is superb.

Even years out of warranty they offer a fixed price amp repair service.  Some months back I had an intermittent fault on my 9yr old Laney Cub 12R  Can't remember exact figure but it was around £60 Inc pick up and redelivery, regardless of time to fix. Got it back in under a week and good as new! 

Sounds great at home, wonderful cleans, very Marshall like gain (it's based on a Marshall circuit), and plenty loud for small club gigging and rehearsals. Ive even put mine through a 4x12 Marshall Cab in rehearsal rooms and it just blew my mind how huge this 15w amp sounded!  

Really can't recommend Laney, and the Cub 12R in particular, enough. If it doesnt put a big smile on your face when you play it, then you probably need to think about taking up drums or something! Lol 
    But...

They sound awful 

Same goes for the katana and the Roland cube things.

Take yourself to coda music and try everything you can afford
    The Cub 12R sounds awful? :o Sorry my friend but you need to get yourself to Specsavers...they do hearing tests now!  =) :)

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    Cornell 18/20! Incredible build quality, great blues rock tone, and loves a Paul. I just unplugged from one with an R7.