Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Weird things you never knew

What's Hot

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4155
    I think about this reasonably regularly:

Due to the presence of pregnant women, the average number of skeletons per human body is more than 1
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6767

Due to the presence of pregnant women, the average number of skeletons per human body is more than 1
    And the average number of arms (and legs) is less than two, but the average number of heads is greater than one!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    mrkb said:

And the average number of arms (and legs) is less than two, but the average number of heads is greater than one!

ah, thank goodness! I thought I was unusual.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I've lived in our village for ten years.  Recently someone pointed out that whenever someone in the village has their house repainted, they never paint the chimney stack (pretty much all houses up here have chimneys).  Sure enough, when I started looking, virtually every house even the recently painted ones, has a dirty chimney stack - including ours!  No-one seems to know when/why this odd practice began, whether there is a sound reason for it or if it's some odd local superstition - I suspect the latter.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Neill said:
    I've lived in our village for ten years.  Recently someone pointed out that whenever someone in the village has their house repainted, they never paint the chimney stack (pretty much all houses up here have chimneys).  Sure enough, when I started looking, virtually every house even the recently painted ones, has a dirty chimney stack - including ours!  No-one seems to know when/why this odd practice began, whether there is a sound reason for it or if it's some odd local superstition - I suspect the latter.
    https://i.imgur.com/WidPxAM.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6139
    A pipefitter taught me to measure tube from the ten and, then, subtract that from the apparent measurement. 
    And that's what I used to do until I understood about the way the little loose-fit tab works.

(And, obvs, you can't use that trick for measuring more than about 50cm).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5442
    You know what's really weird? That so many folk don't know how a tape measure works.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6668
    "Olde" and "Shoppe" as in "Ye Olde Shoppe" are actually pronounced "Old" and "Shop".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7813
    Human DNA contains all the nessesary genes to produce feathers. It’s just a matter of selective activation. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7813
    edited July 2021
    The Rocky Horror Picture show is the only film in the Rocky series not to feature Silverster Stallone. 
    25reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3001

This old man, he played one,
    He played knick knack on my thumb.
    With a knick knack, paddy whack,
    Give a dog a bone.
    This old man came rolling home.

This old man, he played two,
    He played knick knack on my shoe.
    Give a dog a bone.

This old man, he played three,
    He played knick knack on my knee.
    Give a dog a bone.

This old man, he played four,
    He played knick knack on my door.
    Give a dog a bone.

This old man, he played five,
    He played knick knack on my hive.
    Give a dog a bone.

This old man, he played six,
    He played knick knack on my sticks.
    Give a dog a bone.

This old man, he played seven,
    He played knick knack up in heaven.
    Give a dog a bone.

This old man, he played eight,
    He played knick knack on my gate.
    Give a dog a bone.

This old man, he played nine.
    He played knick knack on my spine.
    Give a dog a bone.

This old man, he played ten.
    He played knick knack once again.
    Give a dog a bone.

Paddywhack = Paddywhack (also spelled pandywack) or nuchal ligament (Latin: ligamentum nuchae), is a strong elastic ligament in the midline of the neck of sheep or cattle which relieves the animal of the weight of its head. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddywhack

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    If you place a chameleon onto a tartan rug, it will explode.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    If you strap a slice of buttered toast to the back of a cat, butter side up, then drop the cat/toast combo from a height… it will drop to about an inch off the floor and then just spin continually!…
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9511
    Robins red breats do, in fact, have orange breasts…

When they were named, their wasnt at the time, a word for the colour orange.

See… hasnt been a wasted day has it ? =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6095
    That the moon is so far from Earth that you could fit all the other planets in the solar system into the space between.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11873
    munckee said:
    That we are so far from the sun that we can’t feel it’s warmth. 

The radiation speeds up the molecules in our atmosphere and the friction from the moving molecules gives us our warmth. 
    eh?
    the radiation warms your skin, your car, sets fire to paper through a magnifying glass, etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2021
    As the earth spins, making the moon appear to orbit around it, the moon’s gravity gently pulls at the earth’s water. The water is pulled horizontally ever-so-slightly towards the point of the earth closest to the moon. The accumulation of this causes a bulge of water just a few metres high, and due to the spinning earth slipping beneath this bulge, the bulge moves around the surface, which in turn (haha) causes the high tide to travel across the earth. 

However there are two high tides every day, not one, whereas the earth only spins once. Therefore there must also be a bulge of water on the opposite side of the earth to the moon. 

What can possibly be causing that bulge? What is pulling the water away from the moon?

The answer is that the earth isn’t fixed in space with the moon going round it. The two objects are loose and free, ‘connected’ to each other by gravity. A bit like a bolas or two conkers on a string, they are actually orbiting slowly around each other. This mutual orbiting takes 29 days to complete. Due to the fact that the earth is much more massive than the moon, the centrepoint around which it orbits is actually within its boundary. So it doesn’t really ‘go round the moon’ but it does wobble round and round. 

This wobble tends to want it to fling water off itself. The water on the side of the earth that is facing the moon is more affected by moon gravity than by earth-wobble-fling-off-force; on the side of the earth facing away from the moon, the earth-wobble-fling-off-force is greater than the moon’s gravitational force, so causing the 2nd, equal and opposite, bulge. Therefore there are two bulges of water over the earth all the time. 

I hope I’ve explained that well - many many sailors don’t understand this, and many models of planetary motion assume the biggest object to be fixed, but the fact is that everything in the solar system (and universe) is free, loose and wobbling about. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Nearly 163,000 pints of Guinness are wasted in facial hair each year!….
    5reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    There is no such thing as purple light. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    rogd said:
    Try folding a piece of paper 8 times.

You'll be surprised what you can do when it's the last sheet of toilet paper.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom