Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Weird things you never knew

What's Hot

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    Simonh said:
    I get really annoyed when presenters say things like "that's all from Phil and me" NO NO NO it should be "That's all from Phil and I" and I know it is petty and pathetic but it does wind me up.
    Except that it should be "from Phil and me".  You wouldn't say "that's all from I".

What winds me up is "...for Gregg and I".  I'm looking at you, John Torode.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    Simonh said:
    I get really annoyed when presenters say things like "that's all from Phil and me" NO NO NO it should be "That's all from Phil and I" and I know it is petty and pathetic but it does wind me up.
    Except that it should be "from Phil and me".  You wouldn't say "that's all from I".

What winds me up is "...for Gregg and I".  I'm looking at you, John Torode.
    It’s really frustrating how few people understand that. Getting it the wrong way round is bad but what’s worse is the substitution of myself to try to get round it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1358
    https://blog.publoft.com/john-and-i-or-me-rules-made-simple/

And after reading that I think that "Phil and me" and "Phil and I" may actually be interchangeable in the instance I described - how annoying.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    Simonh said:

And after reading that I think that "Phil and me" and "Phil and I" may actually be interchangeable in the instance I described - how annoying.
    Nope, in your example it is Phil and me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    77ric said:
    You know fruit flies? 

Like a banana, right?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Simonh said:

Hang you're head in shame at such grammatical error's. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1358
    I don't how I am going to live with myself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited July 2021
    Simonh said:
    Their they're. Your going to be ok
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 451
    People saying "June 4th" instead of "4th of June" irritates me. Even worse is "June 4" like on adverts for films - how fucking lazy are we getting as a species that we can't be bothered to say the "th" - there is no extra effort, nor any time saved.

Anyhoo, weird stuff you didn't know - the fast food drive through was invented for the military - soldiers weren't allowed to wear their uniforms in public, so the drive through window allowed them to leave their base and get their food without having to leave their car.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Simonh said:
    I'll revert to you when you sort it out
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Spelled in English, every odd number has an 'e' in it.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    Simonh said:
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

One of my grandmother's friends was a man who wrote poetry and books in Black Country dialect and I think I understood it all at the time - listening into the conversations of elderly relatives some of whom would have been born in the 19th century. If I read those poems now it seems like a made up language, be very hard pressed to find anyone who speaks like that any more; certainly no one who isn't a pensioner. 
    I guess how people spoke in the 1960s was closer to how they spoke in the 1860s than our dialects are to those now. 
    I think a large part of this is the Americanisation of our culture via film and TV.

[Old man shouts at clouds]

The other night the newsreader on the BBC had adopted the American style of leaving out "on" when describing something that happened on a specific day. (eg "President Biden met with Prime Minister Johnson Tuesday".) It sounded ridiculously contrived and I'm sure he was doing it deliberately rather than naturally... massively annoying. And on the fucking BBC! Which is supposed to be delivered in proper English.

[/Old man shouts at clouds]
    I like to think I’m quite relaxed about changing language and new words/phrases being adopted, but the one that really pisses me off is when people say prices as a sequence of numbers, like “this sofa is only four seven nine”.
    Even more ridiculous: once I bought a coffee in a Costa and the guy said to me “That’ll be three point five, please”.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    axisus said:
    Per person per year, yes. Per interaction between the two, no.

Statistics can be made to say almost anything.
    Space travel is safer than car travel in terms of fatalities per passenger mile, but it's massively more dangerous when you measure it in terms of fatalities per journey.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    The correct plural of ‘octopus’ is neither ‘octopuses’ nor ‘octopi’ but is, in fact, ‘octopodes’. 

So there’s one for the pub quiz. And sounding like a know-it-all cock.
    Related to this, we're all pronouncing "helicopter" incorrectly. The root words are "helico" ie helix and "pter" ie wing. So really it should be helico-ter
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    strtdv said:

Per person per year, yes. Per interaction between the two, no.

Statistics can be made to say almost anything.
    Space travel is safer than car travel in terms of fatalities per passenger mile, but it's massively more dangerous when you measure it in terms of fatalities per journey.
    And - contrary to popular myth/perpetrated by the airline industry - while air travel is safer than car travel per passenger mile, it's still more dangerous per passenger journey. We make *vastly* more trips by car than by plane, and almost by definition the journeys by plane are longer, so the statistics become hugely skewed. Which is not to say planes are dangerous.

Buses are actually the safest by either measure, if I remember rightly...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Yes, public transport generally is extremely safe however you measure it
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    strtdv said:
    Yes, public transport generally is extremely safe however you measure it
     Even without masks?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Simonh said:
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

One of my grandmother's friends was a man who wrote poetry and books in Black Country dialect and I think I understood it all at the time - listening into the conversations of elderly relatives some of whom would have been born in the 19th century. If I read those poems now it seems like a made up language, be very hard pressed to find anyone who speaks like that any more; certainly no one who isn't a pensioner. 
    I guess how people spoke in the 1960s was closer to how they spoke in the 1860s than our dialects are to those now. 
    I think a large part of this is the Americanisation of our culture via film and TV.

[Old man shouts at clouds]

The other night the newsreader on the BBC had adopted the American style of leaving out "on" when describing something that happened on a specific day. (eg "President Biden met with Prime Minister Johnson Tuesday".) It sounded ridiculously contrived and I'm sure he was doing it deliberately rather than naturally... massively annoying. And on the fucking BBC! Which is supposed to be delivered in proper English.

[/Old man shouts at clouds]
    I like to think I’m quite relaxed about changing language and new words/phrases being adopted, but the one that really pisses me off is when people say prices as a sequence of numbers, like “this sofa is only four seven nine”.
    Even more ridiculous: once I bought a coffee in a Costa and the guy said to me “That’ll be three point five, please”.
    What annoys me along those lines is when, for example on the news, they will say something like "Dave is doing a a one hundred miles bike ride" instead of just that he's doing a hundred Mike bike ride. I'm not even sure why it annoys me and it's probably me that is wrong, but it sounds awful to me.

Oh and when they say "half of one percent".
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    Simonh said:

I’ve always understood that you need to imagine that ‘Phil’ isn’t there - so... 

Phil and I went to the shops (I went to the shops)

That’s all from Phil and me (That’s all from me)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Aibohphobia is the fear of palindromes. The irony being the word itself is a palindrome.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom