SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: A Yamaha SG2000

What's Hot
I'm looking out for an SG2000, 70s/80s but hopefullly not too worn by its years of existence.

Anything out there? I see some very optimistic prices being asked by some folk- after all, who would want to buy one of these in preference to a Les Paul?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JGCJGC Frets: 159
    I've got a superb example of an SG1000 from 1981 ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1477
    drawis said:

Anything out there? I see some very optimistic prices being asked by some folk- after all, who would want to buy one of these in preference to a Les Paul?

Someone wtih sense perhaps?  ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cairobillcairobill Frets: 105
    There's a nice 1982 SG1000 (a la McGeoch) going on gumtree for just over 1K. It's in Sussex. 
  • drawisdrawis Frets: 6
    Thanks. I like all of these SGs but if I 'm gonna take the plunge its has to be a 2000 (or higher I suppose).

• veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83
    FWIW, I owned 3 SG2000’s since 1977, & recently bought an SG1820.
    I feel it’s a better guitar.
    Much more resonant & less nasal in tone, slightly more refined visually.
    drawis said:
    Thanks. I like all of these SGs but if I 'm gonna take the plunge its has to be a 2000 (or higher I suppose).

there's not a huge difference to be honest, I've had 2 original SG2000s in the past and the 1000 easily holds its own against them, but yeah, if that's where your head is going stick with it....you'll pay a big premium for a 2000 though and the £600-800 price difference just isn't justified....hope you manage to find one at a decent price :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    The 2000 is a bit of a different beast to a Les Paul with the neck through and sustain plate. A 1000 is much more Les Paul esque 
    Rocky1991 said:
    The 2000 is a bit of a different beast to a Les Paul with the neck through and sustain plate. A 1000 is much more Les Paul esque 

true, the construction is different but in my experience it doesn't really add up to much difference playing wise or tonally between a 1000 and a 2000....both fine guitars though and much better than most LPs from that era....when I bought my first 2000 I went with the intention of getting an LP but walked away with the 2000 which was far superior - late 70's so Norlin era ( ? ) LPs weren't great examples at the time.....
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2102
    FwIW I have an SG1500 and a SG3000…..more recently I got a Revstar 720B ….and it’s is a great guitar for under £500…

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    The 2000 has too zingy a top end acoustically. The 1000 is more in the Les Paul ballpark. I often wish Yamaha would do a refresh and remove the silly brass plate.

Amazing guitars. I love mine. 
  • veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83
    jeztone2 said:
    The 2000 has too zingy a top end acoustically. The 1000 is more in the Les Paul ballpark. I often wish Yamaha would do a refresh and remove the silly brass plate.

Amazing guitars. I love mine. 
    I thought the same, and had Martyn Booth replace the brass plate with a mahogany insert on one of my 2000’s.
    TBH, it made less of a difference than I thought it would. Very subtle.
    Even though Iused to own a couple of 2000s and still have a 1000 I think the brass sustain plate was actually a bit of a gimmick, it added very little in all honesty, to my ears anyway ..... both models still fine guitars

• drawisdrawis Frets: 6
    Bump from the past. Still interested....