Vibrant Blues scenes in the UK

What's Hot
AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
edited July 2021 in Music
Hey all,

Not really sure if this is the correct category for this post. But hey..

Just wondering where the most vibrant Blues scenes are in the UK (outside of London)? For no other reason than I'm interested. Interested to hear where it's happening.

There's a scene in Edinburgh where I live. I'm originally from South Wales and don't think there's anything happening there.

Ps obvs theres no music scene anywhere right now!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    I’m guessing most areas have blues jams, blues clubs, etc if you take the trouble to find them. I’ve fairly recently moved to rural Wiltshire and have already found (in some cases they’re currently on hold) a blues club in Devizes, blues jams in Calne, Laverstock, and Lacock. And that’s without looking overly hard. Vibrant blues scene? Possibly, possibly not, but there’s certainly stuff out there.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Wiltshire has some stuff then? Nice. Looking at the map that's just off the M4? 

Yup Edinburgh has a decent Blues Club, some good jam sessions  and plenty of venues that have Blues gigs on. Has the Jazz/Blues and Fringe festivals too. Plenty going on.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    When I was at uni in the 90s Lancaster had a great blues scene. Don't know if it still does. 

Wonder what Lancaster is like now. @Grumpyrocker ;
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    There were a lot of places in and around Brum at one point but mostly gone, I didn't know if the pandemic finished the rest off. 
    Worcester and South Worcestershire usually had a few things on the go, there is a blues festival in Upton, the 2022 date is pencilled in. 
    I suppose the answer is probably ask again in six months time. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited July 2021
    @EricTheWeary +1 on Upton Blues Fest. Am a regular there too. Miss it!

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    edited July 2021
    Next town to me in Poynton, Stockport has a blues club. I've never been though. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    edited July 2021
    @jonnyburgo that Poynton club won Blues club of the year, in the 2020 UK Blues awards.  I only know this because looking at the blues awards earlier today.  Think it got nominated 2018 too.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Next town to me in Poynton, Stockport has a blues club. I've never been though. 
    Woke up this morning, checked my share prices on my phone,
    Woke up this morning, saw another million gone
    I miss my baby, cause she’s out in my Porsche
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    AndyJP said:
    I’m five minutes outside Lancaster. It’s still a nice place. Great centre and shopping, good restaurants, pubs and bars and lots of live music. There’s going to be a music festival this year in the park, and Morecambe is also having one, spread all over town.
    Ossyrocks said:
    AndyJP said:
    I’m five minutes outside Lancaster. It’s still a nice place. Great centre and shopping, good restaurants, pubs and bars and lots of live music. There’s going to be a music festival this year in the park, and Morecambe is also having one, spread all over town.
    That's good to hear. I loved Lancaster when I was there for uni. Didn't want to leave really. 

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    The best live music venue for jazz and blues in Lancaster, or it was prior to covid, is the John o Gaunt on market street. It’s very small but has a really good atmosphere. I saw seasick Steve there before he was famous.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    ronnyb said:
    The best live music venue for jazz and blues in Lancaster, or it was prior to covid, is the John o Gaunt on market street. It’s very small but has a really good atmosphere. I saw seasick Steve there before he was famous.
    Ronny, please keep me posted regarding any jams or blues nights locally if you hear of anything. But it does look like COVID is going to scupper things for a little while longer. 

I think the Sunday blues sessions are still happening in Lancaster, but they have moved it outdoors somewhere, weather permitting. I follow them on Facebook but it looks a bit cliquey to me, I could be wrong.

Rob
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 628
    Bishop's Stortford:

In the 1960s Bishop’s Stortford was noted as a centre for Blues music, but as the public’s taste in music changed so too did the local clubs in which it was played. Consequently, Blues music died an untimely death. But, what goes around usually comes around again. A revival of Blues music in the early 1990s led to the Half Moon becoming permanent host to the Bishops Blues Club, and since 1994 has been ‘the’ venue for staging high quality acts from Britain, America and Europe.

Music is performed in the ‘Long Room’, a self contained area at the rear of the pub complete with stage and bar, and every week there is either a gig by a visiting band or solo artist, and/or a jam session performed by local musicians. This is certainly not a ‘purist’ environment though. All forms of Blues music from traditional to modern re-interpretations are played and the idea of the club is just to appreciate and have fun.

ronnyb said:
    Used to go there quite a bit. And there was lots of blues at I think it was called The Yorkshire House. 

There was also a pub along the river that used to have an open mic night where I once played a solo during the big jam that was beyond my normal ability, wowed the crowd, and was never ever repeated. Maybe I was possessed. 

ronnyb said:
    Used to go there quite a bit. And there was lots of blues at I think it was called The Yorkshire House. 

There was also a pub along the river that used to have an open mic night where I once played a solo during the big jam that was beyond my normal ability, wowed the crowd, and was never ever repeated. Maybe I was possessed. 
    Yorkshire House has closed, the pub on the river was probably the Wagon and Horses. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    ronnyb said:

Did you give him your spare change?
    Read seasick Steve used to be a session musician before he created a the hobo musician character
    proggy said:
    ronnyb said:

We only stopped about an hour. I get what he does and he’s a novelty but I find him very repetitive.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    ronnyb said:
    proggy said:
    ronnyb said:

We only stopped about an hour. I get what he does and he’s a novelty but I find him very repetitive.

I know what you mean. I guess that's why they call it the blues.