Gibson J45 vs Songwriter

What's Hot
tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
Are there any folks here that play a Gibson Songwriter and could comment on how it compares tone wise to the J45? I've been trying to track a Songwriter down to demo, but it seems no dealers in the north of England have any in stock. Surprisingly, there's no YouTube videos comparing the two either.

I like the idea of a Songwriter, but I already own a rosewood J45, and I'm wondering if there's enough contrast between the two to justify owning both. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7762
    Never seen a songwriter in the flesh...it has a long scale like an advanced jumbo so will sound "harder" and play with more Martin like tension. If that's what you want.
    ( based on owning an AJ and have played many J45s)
    To me it's an ugly looking thing :)
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    I like the idea of a guitar that has the Gibson tone but with more mid range punch and clarity. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7762
    edited July 2021
    I wouldn't say that rosewood has midrange punch, it's hollow if anything. More of a mahogany trait... sounds like you are describing a mahogany OM or 00-18 (brighter) or D18 (fuller low & low mids).

24 3/4 scale guitars with mahogany have a soft midrange and it just gets more nasal and louder than bass/treble balance when you reduce the body size.
    I understand the wood issues, I have a range of mahogany and rosewood guitars, but from all I've heard about the Songwriter it's a guitar with more mid punch, which is why I'm interested to hear thoughts from anybody that knows both guitars well. 
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    if you want Gibson vibe with mid range punch and clarity check out the Collings CJ35. Has it in spades IMO

BingMan said:
    if you want Gibson vibe with mid range punch and clarity check out the Collings CJ35. Has it in spades IMO

Just missed one at Glenn's Guitars that I was hoping to demo; it went before I could book a journey south.  Thanks for the heads up on the CJ35 though, it does look a great guitar, but not many around on the used market.
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    Yeah I saw that one on Glenns too... very good price as well. I own one have often toyed with selling it as I have too many guitars and only two arms... but every time I pick it up I remember why I got it in the first place! Great guitar!
    Thanks, do drop me a PM if you do decide to sell.

I'm surprised there aren't more Songwriter players out there though, I thought I might get a few responses from owners. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    @Estheroid had/has a Songwriter iirc - she may be able to offer some insight (although not sure if she still frequents? Paging @noisepolluter
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 795
    edited July 2021
    Going purely off the ones we’ve got between us, the Songwriter has more treble and bass and is slightly more strident whereas the J45 is a bit more mid-focused and softer sounding. The Songwriter I suppose is a bit more like some of the Martin dreads I’ve played both in terms of body size and tonal balance. Just run this past Estheroid and she concurs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, that's helpful and great to hear from somebody that plays one. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.