Interface for mic and guitar into ipad

What's Hot
I'm about sick of looking at interfaces. I see loads but it's never clear whether it'll work.

I want to plug electric guitars into my ipad and record the dry signal or use plugins. I'd also like a mic input.

Does this exist? I see loads of USB interfaces like the steinberg ur12 but no idea whether they go into an iPad or not.

Mine has a tiny usb-c firewire input thingy. I wish it was just USB but apple gotta apple.

Any ideas? Or do I need to do the standard apple "it all just works! You just need an adapter!" type thing? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    Check the

Presonus AudioBox iTwo, iPad/USB Audio Interface

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    Check the

Presonus AudioBox iTwo, iPad/USB Audio Interface

Seems good. There is a simpler ione as well, which is the same but one mic, one 1/4", no midi and just fixed monitoring instead of variable mix (whatever that means... I assume it let's you blend between the mic and 1/4" input for monitoring).

Does it come with the required cable to connect to ipad? Or does it require the camera adapter (which is an extra £35)?
  • I use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo to do the same, but you need the camera adapter or something similar to connect an iPad.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I owned a Presonus iTwo for a few years and used it into an iPad and a Mac. It doesn't have a power supply, which means you use the USB from the computer to power it. An iPad doesn't do that, but you use the Apple charger to provide power to the iTwo when the iPad is connected - in my case using a Lightning cable, my iPad is 4/5 years old. 

Now I've got an Audient Sono. That does have it's own power supply - and it can be used without a computer if you're interested in running it as an amp. The Sono itself has a valve preamp for the guitar input and can run Two Notes power amp/cab emulations software on the unit without being attached to a computer. It also lets you record channel 1 as the Two Notes processed guitar sound and channel 11 as the unprocessed sound. There's a physical amp reamping capability that's easy to use, as well. 

The Sono uses USB, so you need an Apple USB adapter to connect to the iPad, but that also means you can charge the iPad whilst in use - not possible with the iTwo. 

Nothing wrong with either of them for my needs. I was interested in the extra functionality of the Sono and took a punt on it because it was discounted. Andertons are still selling the Sono with a heavy discount and has stock. 
  • I owned a Presonus iTwo for a few years and used it into an iPad and a Mac. It doesn't have a power supply, which means you use the USB from the computer to power it. An iPad doesn't do that, but you use the Apple charger to provide power to the iTwo when the iPad is connected - in my case using a Lightning cable, my iPad is 4/5 years old. 

Now I've got an Audient Sono. That does have it's own power supply - and it can be used without a computer if you're interested in running it as an amp. The Sono itself has a valve preamp for the guitar input and can run Two Notes power amp/cab emulations software on the unit without being attached to a computer. It also lets you record channel 1 as the Two Notes processed guitar sound and channel 11 as the unprocessed sound. There's a physical amp reamping capability that's easy to use, as well. 

The Sono uses USB, so you need an Apple USB adapter to connect to the iPad, but that also means you can charge the iPad whilst in use - not possible with the iTwo. 

Nothing wrong with either of them for my needs. I was interested in the extra functionality of the Sono and took a punt on it because it was discounted. Andertons are still selling the Sono with a heavy discount and has stock. 

That sounds really great, but a lot more expensive than, for example, a second hand presonus itwo. I don't think I can swing that cost unfortunately. 
    <snip>

That sounds really great, but a lot more expensive than, for example, a second hand presonus itwo. I don't think I can swing that cost unfortunately. 
    A used iTwo will be fine. It never limited me at all. Just make sure the iPad is fully charged before a recording session. 
  • <snip>

A used iTwo will be fine. It never limited me at all. Just make sure the iPad is fully charged before a recording session. 
    Ace. Well fingers crossed one will make it's way to chateau prettydamned.

Might need to look for a midi controller next, get those pads and synths going. No idea how good a DAW you get with an iPad though... 
  • Cheers for recommendations. Got a presonus itwo second hand from reverb, saved a bit of money! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    <snip>

Might need to look for a midi controller next, get those pads and synths going. No idea how good a DAW you get with an iPad though... 
    Garageband on iPadOS is really very, very good - and the price is right. The software drums and synths don't NEED a MIDI keyboard or controller, you can just use the screen, but it's nicer if you have them. One nice feature of the iTwo is it has proper MIDI sockets. As long as your MIDI device supports those, rather than using MIDI USB to connect, you can plug a MIDI keyboard into the MIDI In on the iTwo and it just works.

Sounds like you're going to have some fun soon (and probably some frustration, too!). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • <snip>

Garageband on iPadOS is really very, very good - and the price is right. The software drums and synths don't NEED a MIDI keyboard or controller, you can just use the screen, but it's nicer if you have them. One nice feature of the iTwo is it has proper MIDI sockets. As long as your MIDI device supports those, rather than using MIDI USB to connect, you can plug a MIDI keyboard into the MIDI In on the iTwo and it just works.

Sounds like you're going to have some fun soon (and probably some frustration, too!). 

Sadly our keyboard (a yamaha p105, wonderful thing that didn't cost much second hand!) uses midi USB so won't be candidate with ipad. It might be I can migrate ipad recordings to a "proper" daw on Windows and use the keyboard that way, but for now I'll play with the on-screen synths. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4083
    There is a dedicated focusrite too for iPads I used to have one
  • Itwo arrived today and works perfectly with garageband. Lots of stress, frustration and a ton of fun heading my way! 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4083
    <snip>

Sadly our keyboard (a yamaha p105, wonderful thing that didn't cost much second hand!) uses midi USB so won't be candidate with ipad. It might be I can migrate ipad recordings to a "proper" daw on Windows and use the keyboard that way, but for now I'll play with the on-screen synths. 
    I had my korg Volca dx7 style mini keyboard and my midi controller plugged in the iPad using a Roland interface with the camera connector ,worked brilliant
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    Itwo arrived today and works perfectly with garageband. Lots of stress, frustration and a ton of fun heading my way! 
    Congrats.

Enjoy!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    Itwo arrived today and works perfectly with garageband. Lots of stress, frustration and a ton of fun heading my way! 
    Congrats.

Enjoy!
    Great recommendation, absolutely pain free set-up and makes it easy to set the input gain with the led on each input. Brilliantly simple thing. 
    If it wasn't included in the sale, do download the user manual. There's some useful stuff in it about EQing different instruments so they don't clash in your mix.