Line6 price hike... what to get instead of a Stomp?

What's Hot
BrioBrio Frets: 1807
Anyone else noticed that the Stomp jumped in price overnight at Anderson’s from £399 to £529?
What else is there that I should be considering? I’m sure it’s not a mistake as the Helix LT has gone up £200
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    If you want a Stomp,  there's still plenty of places showing them at £399 so I'd buy one from elsewhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited July 2021
    That's ambitious. The HX stomp is great, but it's starting to show its age in terms of processing power.

When I bought my GT1000 core I was Getting asked if it was worth the £200 odd more that it cost, and I felt it was at the time.

Unless its went up in price too, I'd be calling it a no brainer now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1807
    Beexter said:
    If you want a Stomp,  there's still plenty of places showing them at £399 so I'd buy one from elsewhere.
    Sadly have to wait until the end of the month. I have the money but have a strict rule to avoid my lack of will power bankrupting me. Again. 

tekbow said:
    That's ambitious. The HX stomp is great, but it's starting to show its age in terms of processing power.

When I bought my GT1000 core I was Getting asked if it was worth the £200 odd more that it cost, and I felt it was at the time.

I shall check that out. Thanks.
    Brio said:

tekbow said:

Should say it depends what you want. I bought mine for wet FX and was genuinely blindsided by the amp modelling.

However if your priority is 'dozens of real world amp sims of specific amps and channels', what the boss does, as somebody here put it, is give you fewer and say 'here is a high gain amp model that sounds good for metal, has a Marshall flavour, but doesnt sound like any particular amp.

Personally, up against my SLO and Gower, I thought the models capable of high gain nailed it.

It's a whole thing with the GT1000, and it may or may not be to your taste.

The counter argument being unless you're intimately familiar with all of the HX's donor amps, how can you praise its accuracy?
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4131
    Beexter said:
    Peach has them in stock for £399.

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    Pod Go - same sounds and processing as the Helix, just not quite as much grunt so there are some combos of effects that are not possible.  Bar that, it's a bargain!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11858
    I noticed it is going up, I might have to snag one soon because GuitarGuitar has gone up too, it was £399 a few days ago as well.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11858
    tekbow said:
    Brio said:

tekbow said:

Should say it depends what you want. I bought mine for wet FX and was genuinely blindsided by the amp modelling.

However if your priority is 'dozens of real world amp sims of specific amps and channels', what the boss does, as somebody here put it, is give you fewer and say 'here is a high gain amp model that sounds good for metal, has a Marshall flavour, but doesnt sound like any particular amp.

Personally, up against my SLO and Gower, I thought the models capable of high gain nailed it.

The counter argument being unless you're intimately familiar with all of the HX's donor amps, how can you praise its accuracy?
    Which is better for Effects? Reverb, Delay, Trem in particular. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2321
    Grab one ASAP. I think it's a steal at 399.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3058
    £529?? 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

tekbow said:
    Brio said:

tekbow said:

Which is better for Effects? Reverb, Delay, Trem in particular. 

Boss, IMO but for a given Value of 'better'.

I personally think the amps are better too, but that's also for a given value of better
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24176
    Blimey! That's one hell of a price increase.

And with the full Helix at nearly £1500 now, the Boss GT-1000 at £815 (Thomann inc vat and shipping) is looking like a very good buy.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4131
    Glad I got a Stomp a few weeks ago. 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281

And with the full Helix at nearly £1500 now, the Boss GT-1000 at £815 (Thomann inc vat and shipping) is looking like a very good buy.
    I dunno, Ive never been that impressed with their amp modelling. Mind you it does put helix in a tough spot as I think it gets edged out on amp modelling by the top tier stuff like kemper, axe-fx, nerual but has a lot of cheaper competitors that get close. They should make helix native free with a pedal as being able to tweak patches as their ecosystem is def stronger than boss by a long way. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9684

I dunno, Ive never been that impressed with their amp modelling. Mind you it does put helix in a tough spot as I think it gets edged out on amp modelling by the top tier stuff like kemper, axe-fx, nerual but has a lot of cheaper competitors that get close. They should make helix native free with a pedal as being able to tweak patches as their ecosystem is def stronger than boss by a long way. 
    Isn't HX Edit basically a way of tweaking patches on the screen in a similar layout to Helix Native?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24176

Isn't HX Edit basically a way of tweaking patches on the screen in a similar layout to Helix Native?
    Yes. HX edit controls the hardware unit.

Native is a VST,
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Not surprised...

This will start happening everywhere as the chip shortage bites... companies are having to spot buy rather than buy in bulk, due to shortages and this is having a *HUGE* effect on the cost of manufacturing. I imagine Line6 are having to pass that on - some are swallowing it right now, but it will cause increases soon.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Well that's the thing. I would say their amp modelling is better, more responsive, feels like you're Playing an actual amp, and they sound great too.

They just aren't attempting To be exact sonic replicas of existing amps. I mean they do have a 1959, an AC30 which sound excellent but tbh, the AIRD preamps are where it's at.

Their main issue is the stock cabs they use, which I also stick an EQ Block after, or use 3rd party IR's, or stick my CAB-M and mimiq in the loops.

The stock cabs just arent great in isolation and fo the rest of the system no justice.

• BodBod Frets: 1297
    £529?? 
    I just checked the Helix LT on GuitarGuitar's site.  I bought mine rom them about 3 weeks ago for £750, and they're £999 now  :o
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    The Helix line is surely due for an upgrade in the next couple of years. As much as I like my Stomp and it’s versatility, not sure I’d fork out £500 plus for it.