Rotary pedal choices

What's Hot
garfygarfy Frets: 144
Are there many other choices apart from the Neo Ventilator II and the Strymon Lex? Not sure how the Micro Vents compare to the big one, hoping @Gassage will be able to give his insight. Im looking for classic Leslie sounds with fast/slow options if poss, preferably footswitch controlled. 

cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    edited July 2021
    Nux Roctary - has polyphonic octave and stereo out to boot

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3186
    Line 6 rotomachine does a pretty reasonable job.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Korg G4.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    edited July 2021
    Dawner Prince Pulse if you want to go with a wilder more esoteric subject of emulation… not Leslie, but sounds fantastic. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Boss rotary pedal or md500.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Neo by a mile. Avoid the Pulse- not in same world.

I hate to admit this but the Lex is decent too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Where do people generally have a rotary pedal in their signal chain e.g before the amp, in fx loop, not to amp at all but direct to desk etc.  I ask as the real thing is amp and speaker combined so would have thought it should bypass your guitar amp completely.
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    I’ve more research to do, plenty of suggestions to check out already, thank you. I’m putting this pedal on a board last in line and into the front end of my amp initially but will experiment with the loop. 
  • I have a Hammond Leslie G. Sounds fantastic but hard to find. 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3224
    From Neo, there's the big Ventilator, the Mini Vent, and the Micros.

I've got the Mini Vent ii and it usually goes at the end of my loop.

All the magic comes from ramping between the fast and slow speeds!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    chris45 said:
    Where do people generally have a rotary pedal in their signal chain e.g before the amp, in fx loop, not to amp at all but direct to desk etc.  I ask as the real thing is amp and speaker combined so would have thought it should bypass your guitar amp completely.
    Ideally it should go direct to the desk/PA if it's designed as a full Leslie emulator rather than just a 'flavour of rotary speaker' effect. That's actually why I sold my G4, it was just too much faff to incorporate into a standard live guitar setup and I never really used it.

It did sound amazing though - for a long time a friend used it with his real Hammond organ so he could play through headphones at home, and it was stunningly accurate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2021
    The Neo Micro 122 looks just the ticket, especially with the programmable footswitch options etc in a relatively small footprint. There’s a great YouTube Leslie comparison (PJ & the beard) with many of the suggestions all compared with a guitar riff, which after 28 different pedals is bouncing around in my head 
  • Sent you a PM
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Neo Instruments all the way. The big version is often found on Hammond players too and sounds amazing on guitar. The new 122 and 16 are both great and specific for the demands of a guitarist. I have two real leslies at home and these pedals are just as good, at times better. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lukedlb said:
    Neo Instruments all the way. The big version is often found on Hammond players too and sounds amazing on guitar. The new 122 and 16 are both great and specific for the demands of a guitarist. I have two real leslies at home and these pedals are just as good, at times better. 
    Thanks for the insight, the Micro 122 is my choice and can’t wait to try it. 
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 397
    edited July 2021
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the EHX Lester pedals as they are really good.

And I'm not just saying it because I've no longer got the space for it on my board so I'll probably be putting it for sale soon!
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    If you don't want to go down the Vent route - I really like the Option 5 Destination Rotation Single. 

Mine is pretty much at the end of my signal chain (it's actually just before my tremolo but that's entirely for pragmatic layout reasons)  so I can run everything into the faux Leslie
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4170
    garfy said:
    lukedlb said:
    I have the 16 and it’s great, although I’d prefer the Blend to have more control at the lower end
    Lewy said:
    garfy said:
    lukedlb said:
    I have the 16 and it’s great, although I’d prefer the Blend to have more control at the lower end
    I would assume that's down to the leslie 16 sound; there is no bass speaker, just an 8" or 10" since cone meaning that any bass (or highs) would be from the dry signal. Leslie 16s were run with a crossover cable so that the bass and treble were handled by the guitar amp's actual speakers with the mids going to the leslie.
    On the other hand a 122 provides two speakers (15" and tweeter).
    @merlin has my 122. I'm sure he can vouch for it too.