Another shed conversion! - Update and question

What's Hot
Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
edited October 2021 in Studio & Recording
I have been meaning to do this for ages and finally got around to converting my shed into a soundproofed studio man cave, lot of work but definitely worth it, here's a link to some pics of the build  

https://imgur.com/gallery/LfkISGJ

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10645
    Looks fantastic!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Great work. 

Wish I had the skills.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    poopot said:
    I was looking at that thread, those panels look great and I might knock a couple up........but your room is huge compared to mine!! 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Tone71 said:
    poopot said:
    I was looking at that thread, those panels look great and I might knock a couple up........but your room is huge compared to mine!! 
    3m x 3.5m not massive…
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Nice - I'm hoping to convert my garage into a den/workshop at some point.
    In outline, the steps are:
    1. Clear it out.
    2. Get the roof fixed/replaced.
    3. Replace the main door.
    4. Add a window & door to my garden.
    5. Run electricity.
    Then I'll be able to get on with the actual job...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4945
    Great work, well done and now enjoy your newly created space.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

prowla said:
    Nice - I'm hoping to convert my garage into a den/workshop at some point.
    In outline, the steps are:
    1. Clear it out.
    2. Get the roof fixed/replaced.
    3. Replace the main door.
    4. Add a window & door to my garden.
    5. Run electricity.
    Then I'll be able to get on with the actual job...
    Number 2 is the most important but number 1 is definitely the hardest, I've dispersed tools and bits everywhere I can.....and lots of trips to the dump!

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Looks ace.  What about the window though,  that's not going to be sound proof.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Lovely job there, I did a similar thing with mine but after living with it for over 10 yrs now one thing I wish I’d have fitted was a soundproof A/C unit, so anyone contemplating doing theirs I’d recommend budgeting for one 
    Cheers all, yes the window is the weak part but 22mm double glazed is pretty impressive plus there's no way I'm sitting in a windowless room in my back garden!!

I can now make noise to the point where it is very loud in the small space and I wouldn't need to go any louder yet within 2m from the shed with the door shut it is just a distant noise, very pleased with that.

No A/C unit just a fan and it's hot in here today! 

Mostly impressed with the TP Link extenders as everything is hardwired in here and internet is fast as indoors.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Tone71 said:
    Cheers all, yes the window is the weak part but 22mm double glazed is pretty impressive plus there's no way I'm sitting in a windowless room in my back garden!!

I can now make noise to the point where it is very loud in the small space and I wouldn't need to go any louder yet within 2m from the shed with the door shut it is just a distant noise, very pleased with that.

Mostly impressed with the TP Link extenders as everything is hardwired in here and internet is fast as indoors.
    You really notice it when running anything with valves, it really does cook, just something to bear in mind 
    sweepy said:
    Tone71 said:

You really notice it when running anything with valves, it really does cook, just something to bear in mind 
    Good point, I was playing the HRD the other day in there and it was nice and toasty, thought at the time that'll do for a winter radiator!
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    Nice work, I had my double garage converted a couple of years back. 

Add some more gear in there!
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Great pictures - i always enjoy reading these threads.

Possibly silly question, but with all that waterproofing on the walls, does that create a humiidity issue in the space itself when things get warm?
    Great pictures - i always enjoy reading these threads.

Possibly silly question, but with all that waterproofing on the walls, does that create a humiidity issue in the space itself when things get warm?
    Thanks, it's a great space.

I haven't noticed any issues but have the door open during the day when using it as an office and am planning to get a humidity monitor for when the door is shut and it gets warm when recording.

It's a fair point as there's zero ventilation when the door and window are shut after all so potentially it could, I wont worry too much about it though.
    Update:

Having spent a while down there, it is a great space, now houses a small kit and most of my guitars and synths plus my work station, when there are 2 people in there it gets very hot but obviously overnight the temperatures drop, this morning it was 10c with 70% humidity, the temperature will rise steadily during the day and sit comfortably about 16-20c 50 - 70%

What I'm looking at now is a solar panel to charge a battery which can then power a thermostatic heater to keep the temperature 10c+ overnight and all winter.

Having a quick look into this it seems this: https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/Item/KITBWPK100312 could provide the answer, I guess the issue is cost of installation v cost of mains heating, I like the idea of free heat and my acoustic will definitely appreciate it, I know I can always bring the guitars into the house but I keep one acoustic in the house all the time and it would defeat the idea of a studio to have to keep moving stuff in and out.

Thoughts and advice please you kind people.........
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited October 2021
    I work in an outbuilding. I heat it using oil filled rads on timers. It's perfectly warm all the time I want it to be. Sometimes a bit nippy first thing, but not for long. I set the rads to come on at about 6am. Solar seems way over the top to me. 

When it gets really cold I have them running on a low heat all the time, but it has to be properly freezing for that to be the case really.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I have a Wi-fi controlled smart plug with an oil filled rad plugged in. The smart plug can be remotely manually switched on, set to a timer, set to run for an fixed amount (ie 2 hours) or set to run under certain conditions (ie weather is 10c) all via the phone app. It’s the best solution I’ve found for convenience with control vs cost.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Cheers guys, I have oiled filled rads in there at the moment left to come on when necessary, not sure of the running costs v free solar but have a feeling it will take years to cover the initial layout, will keep researching