Pull push pot question

paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
edited July 2021 in Making & Modding
Work in progress is a GSP SG with 3xP90’s

Ive tried various different wiring schematics, with a 6 way superswitch, neck and bridge through the switch and the middle through volume direct to output, currently its through the three way switch, which gives neck, all three, middle and bridge….not keen!

So the question, if I wire the neck and bridge as standard through the three way (Gibson) switch, could I wire the middle pickup direct to the switch output, but via a pull push pot to act as a switch to turn the middle pickup on and off?
Assuming a CTS push Pull how do I wire it, Im guessing the three pot terminals are wired as normal? but not sire of the rest!

I know these are Humbuckers but there is only one hot and earth per pickup

https://imgur.com/a/ycQELQ8

Cant get the bloody photo to embed!

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    paulnb57 said:
    if I wire the neck and bridge as standard through the three way (Gibson) switch, could I wire the middle pickup direct to the switch output but via a pull push pot to act as a switch to turn the middle pickup on and off?
    Yes but, with all three pickups selected, all three volume pots interact. Fade any one of them to zero and the guitar is silenced.

Have you tried the Peter Frampton circuit? 

Neck and bridge pickups > selector switch > lower volume and tone pots > output jack socket.

Centre pickup > upper volume and tone pots > output jack socket.

With this circuit, it is possible to have just the centre pickup on its own. You could still add a push-pull pot to engage or disengage the centre pickup at a predetermined level. With a second push-pull pot, you could reverse the phase of the centre pickup. Blending should prove interesting!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27424

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Ask not what you could do, and ask instead what you want to do...

What sounds do you want to achieve?

I happen to have a guitar with 3 x P90s, and a push/pull that engages (or not) the middle pickup, with a 3 way switch to do the usual neck / bridge combinations ... should I take the back off the cavity cover and take a pic.?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    edited July 2021
    TTony said:

I happen to have a guitar with 3 x P90s, and a push/pull that engages (or not) the middle pickup, with a 3 way switch to do the usual neck / bridge combinations ... should I take the back off the cavity cover and take a pic.?
    Yes please!

And thanks for sorting the photo, it just wouldn’t do it for me!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Will do tomorrow.

The photo link had a stray letter “v” at the end for some reason.  Remove that to leave .gif (not .gifv) and all was good ...
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    TTony said:

NSG by any chance??????    Mine has this... Push/Pull Volume Pot to switch the Middle Pickup in or out of the circuit.