Does practice work like compound interest ? If you get my drift

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4082
    viz said:
    What I’ve always done is found good musicians and we’ve typically done a broad range of stuff. incl gnr. I’m sure you’ll find some like-minded individuals in time! Cheers Viz
    Thanks   Viz:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    edited July 2021
    When you start learning a lot of songs by the same guitarist you generally see a lot of the licks and patterns are repeated over different songs so learning them does get quicker and easier. When I first got into Van Halen I struggled to get anywhere `(before tab days ) but now I can generally copy his stuff quite quickly as I know all the common tricks he does. Slash would be much the same ... I'm not a GnR fan but I can recognise his playing and he, like Eddie recycles his licks across different songs. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 699
    In general I think that you do get compound interest on your playing, but the rates diminish over time, at least it has for me. Just consider how hard that first cowboy chord was and how easy new chords are to learn - it's obviously much easier.

I have also recently been working on specific fast runs and getting them up to speed and I can feel that my playing overall has slightly improved.

There's a great youtube tutor called Claus Levin he also believes in and teaches the compound interest approach. He also strongly advocates not learning anything to a basic level, but really getting it perfect before moving on to the next challenge. Otherwise you end being average at everything.

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    allen said:

There's a great youtube tutor called Claus Levin he also believes in and teaches the compound interest approach. He also strongly advocates not learning anything to a basic level, but really getting it perfect before moving on to the next challenge. Otherwise you end being average at everything.

I wish I had the patience to follow this advice. I usually learn a half arsed version of something then move on. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    When you start learning a lot of songs by the same guitarist you generally see a lot of the licks and patterns are repeated over different songs so learning them does get quicker and easier. When I first got into Van Halen I struggled to get anywhere `(before tab days ) but now I can generally copy his stuff quite quickly as I know all the common tricks he does. Slash would be much the same ... I'm not a GnR fan but I can recognise his playing and he, like Eddie recycles his licks across different songs. 
    Thank you ,oh wow indeed ,Eddie is so fast and his note choices sound great but confound me , the sheer speed of most of his stuff , absolutely love it all , fave album is fair warning but I II , cradle and 1984 are amazing 
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Danny1969 said:
    Thank you ,oh wow indeed ,Eddie is so fast and his note choices sound great but confound me , the sheer speed of most of his stuff , absolutely love it all , fave album is fair warning but I II , cradle and 1984 are amazing 
    EVH is a piece of cake to play. Danny can play it. 

Only joking! But Danny - surely this is an opportunity to post your clip of Spanish Fly? Which is awesome. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

allen said:
    In general I think that you do get compound interest on your playing, but the rates diminish over time, at least it has for me. Just consider how hard that first cowboy chord was and how easy new chords are to learn - it's obviously much easier.

I have also recently been working on specific fast runs and getting them up to speed and I can feel that my playing overall has slightly improved.

Thanks for that Allen I know Claus channel well he is very good in a lot of things he does , I have one of his cheaper courses ‘hard rock sequences “ 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Sounds like you’re doing things the right way - focused practice and lots of it  =) A lot of people see a good player and just think they’re massively talented-when in fact it’s the result of loads of hard work, and doing exactly what you’re doing now. Unfortunately some people are just really good after a couple of years, but most of us have to put in the effort! Keep at it!
    Sounds like you’re doing things the right way - focused practice and lots of it  =) A lot of people see a good player and just think they’re massively talented-when in fact it’s the result of loads of hard work, and doing exactly what you’re doing now. Unfortunately some people are just really good after a couple of years, but most of us have to put in the effort! Keep at it!
    Thanks . I had a day off today after 110 days  and just played around with blues and minor scale and a lick for a little while . Back to the regular routine tomorrow 
  • Regarding speed - I could never understand how Malmsteen plays so fast - even if I worked on my alternate picking with a metronome for 5 years I don't think I could ever reach that BPM. It's only recently I understand there are certain "tricks" he does  (thank you Guitar Techniques magazine) - mainly economy picking - using upstroke when picking a new string etc. - not to mention his choice of fingering on certainly passages. I assume as well his pick angle contributes. Not to mention natural talent!

At the end of the day though I thought this was a great quote from above...
    Rocker said:
    Don't lose sight of the reason you play guitar - I play guitar to make music.  Playing music with family members and friends.  Your reason might be different but identify it and keep it in mind.

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • That fast playing,or shredding,does nothing for me musically. I'd rather listen to slower but more musically pleasing riffs and passages of notes and chords. It's easy for me to say as a relative beginner but very fast playing is not even on my to do list.
  • That fast playing,or shredding,does nothing for me musically. I'd rather listen to slower but more musically pleasing riffs and passages of notes and chords. It's easy for me to say as a relative beginner but very fast playing is not even on my to do list.
    Yes , it’s mainly Slash stuff, not mega shred but fast bits in places  , plus all the other stuff 
    rhythms , picked arpeggios etc . I’m getting up to speed now then I drop back down to refine it 
    cleaner and clearer .  November rain outro has some fast melodic passages . I’ve got to analyse one of them as I’m amazed at the way it flows and would like to adapt it and use it in other stuff