Stickers - love them or hate them?

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I bought a bass at a car boot sale which was covered in stickers; it took ages to get them off and the logo came off too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    edited July 2021
    Nothing wrong with it, if you’re five years of age…..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    There's that weird thing which happens with stickers - when you first put them on they keep lifting and peeling at the edges, but eventually the adhesive undergoes some kind of chemical reaction and then it's never coming off, ever.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I did it one time. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I like loads of stickers on a guitar as a way of disrespecting it as an instrument. It's the antithesis of your posh, unmarked PRS. It's "I don't give a f*ck about this instrument, it's just a tool"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    HAL9000 said:
    Basher said:
    That said, Alvin Lee's 335 always looked daft to me.

Shows how we like different things. To me there’s something iconic about Lee’s 335.

Edit - Actually, maybe it’s only iconic by association. Just looked it up on Google images and it’s a bit shit really isn’t it?
    I saw an interview with him where he said he sent it back to Gibson in the 80’s/90’s for some repair and restoration as it was knackered. When it came back he was a bit surprised and mildly pissed off that they’d lacquered over the stickers, so they’re now on it forever which he didn’t necessarily intend.  
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    A mate of mine ( he’s on here but won’t mention his name unless he wants to come forward) had some work done on an acoustic recently and the “guitar tech” put his own sticker hologram on the back of the headstock.
    I’ve played guitar for about 25 years and even when I was a kid I never wanted stickers on my guitars so this would have made me extremely angry. I think it’s taking the piss doing that to someone’s guitar.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    My son asked for a blue guitar with orange skulls and flames on it so I put a few stickers on it.

It's all good if you are six.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18381
    ICBM said:
    Depends on the sticker, and the instrument.

I’ve got a pair of original 1980-era ‘rainbow’ Apple Computer stickers on my two basses (Rickenbacker and Aria), I think it suits them and has a nice ‘West Coast 1980’ look. I put the one on the Aria to cover a ding which looked a bit ugly.
    Let me know if you ever need any more Apple stickers  ;)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Bod said:
    Stickers?  Nah, not cool at all...

One of the best live rock bands on the planet!
    Love Bill Bailey
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    koss59 said:
    A mate of mine ( he’s on here but won’t mention his name unless he wants to come forward) had some work done on an acoustic recently and the “guitar tech” put his own sticker hologram on the back of the headstock.
    I’ve played guitar for about 25 years and even when I was a kid I never wanted stickers on my guitars so this would have made me extremely angry. I think it’s taking the piss doing that to someone’s guitar.

Bet the tech was Mason Marangella.. he loves slapping his stickers on other peoples shit. 

I get annoyed whenever I buy a used car. 
    Last time round I spent bloody ages going round it peeling off ‘Masters of Shirley’ stickers that had baked on in the sun and removing the dealershits poxy branded number plates with their phone number on. 

Who in the actual hell would see a sticker on a guitar or a car and go ‘yep, good to know thats where its come from, I’ll call that number and buy something from them’

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A few images of guitars with stickers in this thread. All horrific. Thanks for validating my opinion.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    I think there are many guitars that are improved upon with a sticker or three; make it yours:

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4084
    Sheer class that
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I tend to put stickers on equipment cases. I did a gig in 2018 where everyone on a 5 band bill had a pedaltrain JR. So I was glad I’d put silly stickers on so I knew which case was mine
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    The guitar looks great, but I don't like the sticker!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    edited July 2021
    The only good sticker on a guitar is the one in the shop that says "SPECIAL, 50% OFF!"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I've got loads of cool stickers on my bass. It's the only guitar I have that's in near new condition, don't know if that says anything.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 681
    Two guitars with stickers.

First was my LP Studio when I was 19 and in a band with a "5" in the name. The sticker is from a pound shop in the East End and is usually utilised to avoid someone pilfering your wheelie bin. On reflection I now feel it was probably a mistake but no one's going to want that guitar so I've probably got it for life and I like how it looks.

This one was drilled for left handed controls when I got it. The holes were literally still in the top of the guitar. I had someone dowel the holes but it didn't look all that great. The sticker covers most of the holes. I loved the sticker when I got it (long before I got the guitar) because all except the white has a metalflake effect. I reckon it looks good on the guitar.

I also stuck a bunch of stickers that came free with the NME on my Fender acoustic some years back. Luckily I got them off soon enough that they didn't leave any marks, despite them being the horriblest, cheapest things the world had ever seen. No photos exist.

One other instance - I stuck a Bass Lake sticker over a faded area that had previous had a sticker on it on an old Hondo 335 I had. I paid so little for that guitar that sticking a sticker on it didn't seem like much of an act of destruction, particularly as it was hiding a wound.

Famous sticker guitars I've thought are ok:

Kelly Jones
    https://images.app.goo.gl/oQdhJTVr64A8jidp8

Coxon
    https://images.app.goo.gl/dKscG4RRHRPC6DGL6 (the stickers on this look cack, looking at it now, but so much of my favourite music was made with that guitar I just love it)

Grant Nicholas
    https://images.app.goo.gl/CoXJ2SxhEPcBryjR9

Tyler Fogerty (not sure if it's a sticker but whatever's going on with the guard of that strat looks great)
    https://images.app.goo.gl/kKnAzefG2eZp1gFQA

I think in researching this for 5 minutes a general rule of thumb (which will almost certainly have exceptions both ways) is that one sticker, carefully chosen and well placed, can look great. Conversely, many stickers, no matter how well placed, generally look bad.