Stickers - love them or hate them?

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Jeez, apparently showing your personality on something you own isn’t allowed… 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    edited July 2021
    Jeez, apparently showing your personality on something you own isn’t allowed… 
    Nobody said it wasn't allowed - it's a discussion, hence the thread title. 

Not a sticker fan, although this is iconic. Waterslides I would guess.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000 said:
    Basher said:
    That said, Alvin Lee's 335 always looked daft to me.

Shows how we like different things. To me there’s something iconic about Lee’s 335.

Edit - Actually, maybe it’s only iconic by association. Just looked it up on Google images and it’s a bit shit really isn’t it?
    Yup - and that’s the best thing about it. I know someone who got an Alvin Lee 335 (secondhand) and took the stickers off. Now I can’t think of words strong enough for that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • liamonliamon Frets: 102
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    proggy said:

I'm loving this guitar. Imagining it in bright red or bright blue though (with Woodstock of course). Stunning.
    Thanks @proggy , it was a self build from a couple of years ago:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/145567/abw1989-makes-a-jazzmonster-completed/p1

Unfortunately no Woodstock sticker in the build thread though 
    :# 

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    There's an impressive amount of boring conformist dismissiveness on this thread. Rock'n'fukkn'roll, eh? :grin:

(Not that I currently have stickers on any guitars, but they go on most pedalboard and cable cases, and if the right guitar and right sticker ever coincide, so shall it be).

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Stuck on the guitar by my lad 15 years ago???

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 332
    edited July 2021

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopot said:
    Stuck on the guitar by my lad 15 years ago???

I've got a minion on my pedalboard for similar reasons :) (although I think Grandpa Pig may be slightly cooler)

With stickers on guitars I'm in the "looks good when other people do it" camp.  I've often seen somebody playing a stickered guitar and thought I liked the idea, but never actually put one on any of my instruments.

I do put stickers on cases though, so they're easier to find in the pile in the dark corner at gigs.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4160
    Must admit, I'm a bit of a fan of stickers 

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    This one

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    abw1989 said:
    proggy said:

I'm loving this guitar. Imagining it in bright red or bright blue though (with Woodstock of course). Stunning.
    Thanks @proggy , it was a self build from a couple of years ago:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/145567/abw1989-makes-a-jazzmonster-completed/p1

Unfortunately no Woodstock sticker in the build thread though 
    :# 

Top work @abw1989 ; It's really tastefully put together. Beautiful.
    I was wondering what it was!
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I only have a bitsa tele that has two stickers but it currently hangs over the bar in a local venue. I think that on a plain colour stickers are fine if you want so long as you don't overdo it. It would be silly to cover up a pretty piece of wood with them though.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
    I think it'll always come down to the fact that it's people who are cool or not, not objects.

We've all seen crappy looking teenager owned Squiers with embarrassing stickers in eBay, then you'll see something not actually dissimilar being played by a great player on a stadium stage and think it looks great. 

So as ever, it's just about context.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    This is my self designed aged sticker on my strat. I drew it in the 90s, certainly before I ever knew of the snarling dog pedals.

And this is my self-designed aged "Biggles DuMontfort" sticker on my Tele. I nicked the dogs head from somewhere else and added all the rest.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    axisus said:
    I like loads of stickers on a guitar as a way of disrespecting it as an instrument. It's the antithesis of your posh, unmarked PRS. It's "I don't give a f*ck about this instrument, it's just a tool"
    I still can't cope with stickers on a PRS

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14182
    edited July 2021 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    axisus said:
    I like loads of stickers on a guitar as a way of disrespecting it as an instrument. It's the antithesis of your posh, unmarked PRS. It's "I don't give a f*ck about this instrument, it's just a tool"

I would agree with that thought based on the ultra clean 'doctor/dentist' models with a gleaming pretty maple top - But that has a 'punky' vibe that looks kind of 'acceptable' 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4491
    WezV said:
    axisus said:

Daniel Johns (Silverchair)?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7013
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    axisus said:

It's *almost* cool