Fender Tonemaster Amps

What's Hot
VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 335
Seems to be a lot of these amps up for sale after only a short period of ownership….any comments on what’s wrong with them, if anything. Sellers say how great they are….but if that’s  right then why are they selling?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5141
    I’m guessing because they sound 90% as good maybe?? Never heard one in the flesh....so just a hunch
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    I like the idea of them but they're a modelling amp that only models one specific amp. For less money, you can get a modeller that does dozens of amps, including this one.

So they make no sense really. But they do look very nice, which may have something to do with their popularity?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 335
    I had a Roland Blues Cube Artist, which is a similar product in its design and concept. Sounded great at home and useless on stage compared to the Mesa Boogie MK3 that it replaced….sold it on fairly quickly…..
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    Is it a reasonable conclusion that there's something wrong with them?  As someone who frequents a couple of guitar forums etc I've maybe seen 10 up for sale. 

In the same period I've seen literally hundreds of Les Pauls and Strats for sale.  Sellers say they're great.  Very suspicious, no?  I think we have a right to know what's wrong with these guitars.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    I’m not selling mine…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1275
    edited July 2021
    I bought a TM Twin and returned it the next day. I did a side by side comparison (with an a/b switch) at loud(ish) volumes with my Egnater Tweaker 15.

It’s light, loud and looks like a proper amp. 

But……didn’t sound anywhere near as good as a valve amp costing 1/3rd the price.

I was massively disappointed having read so many glowing reports on this forum and elsewhere.

YMMV
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Didn't @Wazmeister wax lyrical about these amps? I might be thinking of someone else
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    I think they have been super popular and sold a boat load of them so naturally lots of them are coming up secondhand. 

This happens with every popular and much hyped product and results in the inevitable.

THE HONEYMOON PERIOD IS OVER!!!!

thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Didn't @Wazmeister wax lyrical about these amps? I might be thinking of someone else
    He did.but then he sold it on I think….
    Les Pauls & Strats have been around for decades…..these amps are pretty new….I’m not suspicious it just seems odd that have started coming on the used market so soon and in reasonable numbers…..

This doesn't really tell you anything.
    It raises the question why it went so soon if it was so good and at a loss…..maybe I should ask him ?
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1745
    I bought one from this very forum. Had it less than an hour before deciding it wasn't for me.

I've never played a real 65 Deluxe Reverb so I'm in no position to tell if it sounds or feels like the real thing. However I preferred the clean tone on my HRD and felt the tonemaster sounded terrible with drive pedals. Maybe i'd feel the same with the Valve DR, who knows.....

Many will disagree with my opinion here - but that was my experience and I sold it on.

It did look awesome though.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Is it a reasonable conclusion that there's something wrong with them?  As someone who frequents a couple of guitar forums etc I've maybe seen 10 up for sale. 

In the same period I've seen literally hundreds of Les Pauls and Strats for sale.  Sellers say they're great.  Very suspicious, no?  I think we have a right to know what's wrong with these guitars.

These are superb amps at any price imho (if thats the sound you're after)
    ... the fact that you have the ability to attenuate means that they are actually more versatile than the 'real' thing...

I would suggest that the reason so many are up for sale, is that so many have been sold !

I sold mine out of necessity; I've just purchased a £3000 Two Rock and a Eastman T64 (£1600 ); oh, and a KOT (£500) !!

But, when the funds allow, I will be buying another one of these. No-brainer at the price, imho...

In fact, we've got a gig next weekend and I would have loved to have the TM as a light, easy-to-carry reserve.

For those who haven't played one, I'd really recommend that you do.

Side note:  I'll be honest, I don't think that the DR is a great amp anyway. Lots of boutique have done it better, again imho.
    The Two Rock, I guess, is standing-on-the shoulders type of nod to Fender - but a lot more versatile, involving, revealing and of course, expensive !

=)

It raises the question why it went so soon if it was so good and at a loss…..maybe I should ask him ?

He buys lots of gear, raves about it and then immediately sells it. It's kind of his thing.
    Ouch, well it has happened.

But it's all a journey, and I've learnt along the way...

I guess it's just about having the bollocks to try them, and not just keep sniping from the trenches.

I'm as straight as a die, and I'll happily stand on all my reviews.

They are positive, yes, but I do review as I see fit... and it creates dialogue and interest, and might even help others along the way. You should try it sometime...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    Les Pauls & Strats have been around for decades…..these amps are pretty new….I’m not suspicious it just seems odd that have started coming on the used market so soon and in reasonable numbers…..

I was being a little facetious, but my point is that there are all sorts of reasons for gear being sold on than there being something wrong with it.  I've not seen anything to make me think numbers being sold are unusually high, online feedback continues to be positive, and re-sale prices seem high.  I'd be surprised if there's a problem with these.

(For avoidance of doubt I've no dog in this fight, I don't own one, although I might be tempted if gigging starts up properly again).
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”

He buys lots of gear, raves about it and then immediately sells it. It's kind of his thing.

I guess it's just about having the bollocks to try them, and not just keep sniping from the trenches.

They are positive, yes, but I do review as I see fit... and it creates dialogue and interest, and might even help others along the way. You should try it sometime...

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea I'm attacking you. 

I'm just stating a fact that people shouldn't assume there is something wrong with an amp because you've rapidly flipped it.

I've just bought a Fallout Cloud on a whim, farted about with it for a couple of weeks and will probably sell it in a week or two. Doesn't mean it's not the best muff on the market in my opinion.
    I didn't say you were attacking me ;)

But the implication is there that my reviews are somehow not to be trusted maybe ?

It's not the first time you've mentioned such a notion...

Who knows ? You may be right ! 

All cool, and as I said, I'm happy to stand as 'truths'  as I see them.

If you don't buy a ticket.... =)

I was being a little facetious, but my point is that there are all sorts of reasons for gear being sold on than there being something wrong with it.  I've not seen anything to make me think numbers being sold are unusually high, online feedback continues to be positive, and re-sale prices seem high.  I'd be surprised if there's a problem with these.

(For avoidance of doubt I've no dog in this fight, I don't own one, although I might be tempted if gigging starts up properly again).
    I'll be honest; I couldn't really fault this amp at all...

Silent, great attenuation, good reverb, really good DI (I used this with some Genelecs 8010 at home, and it offered a lovely faux stereo spread).

Worked well at home AND live, which imho, is unusual.

Now, is it a good as a Carr, Tone King Imperial, Two Rock etc ??? Well, probably not - but then again its nowhere near the price of those either.

For the funds (and I have bought pedals more expensive !), it is incredible value for money. And also, it's a one handed lift.

Not bad at all =)
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea I'm attacking you. 

I'm just stating a fact that people shouldn't assume there is something wrong with an amp because you've rapidly flipped it.

I've just bought a Fallout Cloud on a whim, farted about with it for a couple of weeks and will probably sell it in a week or two. Doesn't mean it's not the best muff on the market in my opinion.
    I didn't say you were attacking me ;)

But the implication is there that my reviews are somehow not to be trusted maybe ?

It's not the first time you've mentioned such a notion...

Who knows ? You may be right ! 

All cool, and as I said, I'm happy to stand as 'truths'  as I see them.

If you don't buy a ticket.... =)
    Good on you, Waz. I love your reviews and as you say, it's good to have the balls to try these things. 

Ignore the petty snipers. Bit of jealousy present, I suspect...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis

I find your reviews very useful and enjoy them, but I take them with a little bit of salt as I do with anything recently purchased by an excited experienced poster. 

Fixed that for you...
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited July 2021

I enjoyed your review(s) Waz. Good to hear the views of someone who's got or had one one, used it in anger and knows their gear. Ignore the catty remarks. The idea that a grown adult is incapable of giving a fair appraisal of something because they've just bought it is more than a bit patronising - it's only a poxy amp.