Big songs you don't like from bands you love

What's Hot
GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
So what famous songs by bands you love don't you like? It's all very well being an Iron Maiden fan and claiming you don't like Gangland and Quest For Fire. But what about the famous songs? I'm a big IM fan but to be honest I've got bored of hearing Run To The Hills and The Trooper. Especially the latter. It's a great song, but I'm done with it.

I was thinking about this topic this morning because I was listening to Black Sabbath and realised I really don't like Iron Man very much. For me it's too plodding - without it being engaging in the way a lot of doom metal is for me. 

I love Pink Floyd, but oddly I really don't like Shine On You Crazy Diamond. I'm not that into Time or Money either. And I'm not a "I'm only into the Syd stuff" kind of Floyd fan. My favourite albums are Meddle, Animals, and The Wall.

When it comes to Led Zeppelin I don't like No Quarter. There are loads of unlikable LZ songs - I think they did it on purpose for laugh - like the lamentable Crunge. But No Quarter and D'Yer Maker are tracks I always skip. 

So this isn't about deep album cuts you don't like. Nor bands you don't like. I'm looking for big famous well known songs by a band you actually love - that you don't like. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    edited July 2021
    Free - All Right Now
    REM - Shiny Happy People

And if solo artists count... Neil Young - Pocahontas and Cortez The Killer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    I can't bear Hey Jude or Let It Be, they literally make me flustered with irritation whenever I hear them. It doesn't help that Macca always seems to do a 45 minute refrain of nananananananaaaaaaa on every single performance I've ever watched on telly or YouTube.

I guess Mrs Robinson by Simon and Garfunkel also fits in with the OP.

I'm not as old as I sound
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30906
    Remarkably- Wish You Were Here.
    Also as a huge Stranglers fan I despise Golden Brown (maybe cos it was over played)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Mostly it's just stuff that's overplayed. I love a bit of Thin Lizzy but I'd cheerfully never hear The Boys Are Back in Town or Jailbreak ever again. 
    I like The Pretenders but a couple of their hits are pretty much unbearable ( 2000 Miles, agghh). 

When it comes to Led Zeppelin I don't like No Quarter. There are loads of unlikable LZ songs - I think they did it on purpose for laugh - like the lamentable Crunge. But No Quarter and D'Yer Maker are tracks I always skip. 

Whenever Led Zep are brought up on here D'yer Maker is always brought up as the song people like least. Absolutely one of my favourites, it's a surprisingly good bit of cod reggae, although I'm not sure it qualifies as a 'big song' - I doubt if anyone other than LZ fans would know it at all. But I do tend to like the quirkier stuff that rock bands made in the 70s over their core material. My Best Driving Rock Album Ever wouldn't sell a lot in Tesco.       
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    edited July 2021
    The Drugs Don't Work by Verve

Their only number one, riding on the coattails of BSS but it's got nothing on their normal stuff. Richard Ashcroft solo single tripe really.

I love Verve and have seen them more than any other band but that sticks out as a very low point for me

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    edited July 2021
    Mostly it's just stuff that's overplayed. I love a bit of Thin Lizzy but I'd cheerfully never hear The Boys Are Back in Town or Jailbreak ever again.      
    Still my two favourite Lizzy songs. In fact Jailbreak is perhaps my "theme tune" it's a riff I often find myself humming inside my head when I'm happy. 

So I guess it's not always about overhearing. Sometimes you don't like something from the off. Like for me Iron Man, which I've never liked much. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
     I've got bored of hearing Run To The Hills and The Trooper. 
     really don't like Iron Man very much. 
     really don't like Shine On You Crazy Diamond. I'm not that into Time or Money either. 
    I don't like No Quarter. There are loads of unlikable LZ songs - I think they did it on purpose for laugh - like the lamentable Crunge. But No Quarter and D'Yer Maker are tracks I always skip. 
    Reels in shock .........
    axisus said:
     I've got bored of hearing Run To The Hills and The Trooper. 
     really don't like Iron Man very much. 
     really don't like Shine On You Crazy Diamond. I'm not that into Time or Money either. 
    I don't like No Quarter. There are loads of unlikable LZ songs - I think they did it on purpose for laugh - like the lamentable Crunge. But No Quarter and D'Yer Maker are tracks I always skip. 
    Reels in shock .........
    ?

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I like Van Halen but really hate 'Jump' - it's synth pop rubbish.

@Gassage ; Wish You Were Here is the best song I've ever heard, ever. I'm not very keen on Money though (the song, not the medium of exchange)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Still my two favourite Lizzy songs. In fact Jailbreak is perhaps my "theme tune" it's a riff I often find myself humming inside my head when I'm happy. 

I wouldn't turn them off if they came on the radio ( Thin Lizzy were the first big band I ever saw and I'm pretty sure they opened with Jailbreak so it's a happy association ) but if I were to choose a track to listen to they'd be at the bottom of the list. Possibly along with Sarah - despite being a top 30 hit the band refused to play it live so I'm probably not alone in that.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Sit Down by James
    +1 for Drugs Don't Work

For Iron Maiden, it's got to be the number one hit single Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    There was a time when I got really fed up with Bo Rhap and Stairway to Heaven, but having actively avoided them for many years, I can enjoy them again now. Otherwise I never get bored of stuff, I sometimes think that I have a partially spectrum related relationship with music as I never tire of my favourite stuff, albums I bought in the 70s/80s/90s. I play the same old albums A LOT and I never skip tracks.
    axisus said:
    I play the same old albums A LOT and I never skip tracks.
    I rarely skip tracks. I like albums as a whole not just as individual songs. For me skipping a track on Seventh Son of a Secenth Son would be just wrong.

Which reminds me though, have never liked Can I Play With Madness very much. 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    edited July 2021
    the_jaffa said:

Their only number one, riding on the coattails of BSS but it's got nothing on their normal stuff. Richard Ashcroft solo single tripe really.

I love Verve and have seen them more than any other band but that sticks out as a very low point for me

I actually love that song, that's what got me into liking the Verve in fact! Didn't know them before that song but that one really got me. Having looked at when it was released I was only 10 years old at the time! But I remember thinking... Wow this is different than the normal music they play on radio on breakfast show! 

Vive la difference!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Don’t like Money on Dark Side, the solos are fun but don’t like the bass riff or overall feel of the piece. Sounds out of place to the rest of the album to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4150
    Metallica  the unforgiven

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    the_jaffa said:

I actually love that song, that's what got me into liking the Verve in fact! Didn't know them before that song but that one really got me. Having looked at when it was released I was only 10 years old at the time! But I remember thinking... Wow this is different than the normal music they play on radio on breakfast show! 

Vive la difference!
    Oh definitely vive la difference.

I was lucky enough to be exposed to Verve from the start and I way way way prefer the band led stuff where Nick McCabe has more input that the RA solo stuff that was redone for Urban Hymns. Gravity Grave and the like are much more up my street but that is just my opinion.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    edited July 2021
    If @Reverend reads this he'll think I'm insane, but I don't particularly like Stargazer by Rainbow - it's good, but I don't think it's quite the absolute monster classic it's supposed to be.  I love Dio's vocal on it but I think the instrumental bit in the middle goes on too long.  Even when I was 15 I wasn't that crazy about it.

Here I Go Again by Whitesnake.  I just think it's a boring unexceptional song.

And I agree about The Boys Are Back In Town... I've never loved it, but my degree of like/dislike has varied over the years.  For a while I really couldn't stand it, right now I think it's OK.  But that may be because I haven't listened to Planet Rock for a long time, they play it half a dozen times every single day.

It's difficult with bands like Led Zeppelin - there are lots of songs I don't like but they have so many "big" songs that it's not too much of a shock if you don't like one or two of them.  From the outside, probably the only Zeppelin songs the public would know are Stairway, and maybe Kashmir - and I do like them.

(Edit:  I've just looked back at the thread title again "Big songs you don't like from bands you love" and the truth is I don't really like Whitesnake, although I did for a few years.  Never really been a big Thin Lizzy fan either, apart from the obligatory copy of Live and Dangerous.)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Don’t like Money on Dark Side, the solos are fun but don’t like the bass riff or overall feel of the piece. Sounds out of place to the rest of the album to me. 

That's what it is. 'Sounds out of place'
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Boston - More Than A Feeling.

Over-exposure has made it cliched. On the other hand, that recording pretty much established the blueprint for radio-friendly Rock. If you can sing those high notes like Bradley Delp, good on yer.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.