filling small screw holes you want to redrill

What's Hot
Hi all

I've got two sets of screw holes I need to fill and drill over - set one for the tailpiece, set two for the tuners. None of the holes is larger than 1.5mm. 

When we're looking at filling holes and drilling new ones that possibly overlap the old holes, what method works best?

- fill the holes with wood glue and toothpick/matchstick/other plug (or similar) and allow to set?

- fill the holes with wood filler?

- fill the holes with some other filler? (the guy at the tool shop suggested Milliput)

- any other technique?

Thanks

Toby
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    Cocktail stick here. Drill out if necessary to the correct diameter. Glue in using Titebond and once dry trim flush using a sharp chisel. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    edited July 2021
    Do not use wood filler or putty! Use a hardwood dowel, cocktail stick, piece of shaved down lollipop stick, something like that... the key is to make it a *tight* fit in the hole - a really tight, compression fit. Glue it in with Titebond, cut off flush and drill the new hole when set. Use a smaller pilot hole than normal if most of the new hole overlaps the old one.

If you use any material that’s less hard than the surrounding wood, the new hole will just wander into it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    If covered by the attachment, simply drill out for a plastic plug and screw into that. I'd think some of those tiny ones you get in Flea bay might do the trick?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    If covered by the attachment, simply drill out for a plastic plug and screw into that. I'd think some of those tiny ones you get in Flea bay might do the trick?
    I would strongly advise not doing that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thanks all. toothpick/other plug it is. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Cocktail stick here. Drill out if necessary to the correct diameter. Glue in using Titebond and once dry trim flush using a sharp chisel. 

Yep - cocktail sticks & titebond.
    I tend to trim the cocktail stick to fit the hole, rather than enlarge the hole.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2392
    Chopsticks are very useful, though I'd avoid bamboo as they just crumbled away when I tried them. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4166
    Sarge said:
    Chopsticks are very useful, though I'd avoid bamboo as they just crumbled away when I tried them. 
    Bamboo skewers work in a pinch, but they do crumble without a very sharp chisel. If you need to redrill on the edge of the old hole the bit can wander too.

Fine for mending the shed door, probably avoid for a guitar :)