NGD J Mascis Tele sparkly thing

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    edited July 2021
    Clecko said:
    GavRichList said:

I browsed in Guitar Guitar on friday, but you werent allowed to touch anything at all without a formal "I want to try this guitar" type process... which I couldnt be bothered with to be honest. Understandable I guess, but a shame. 
    There's an area at the front of Anderton's set aside fo demoing gear. It's really quite 'on show' - almost like a small stage. And I shit you not: there was a guy sat there playing Stairway to Heaven when I went in!
    Is that for demoing by staff, or for people wanting to try out gear?  The thought of being there on display in front of everyone - even if it's mostly only Andertons staff, very few customers presumably - is really quite horrifying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    Philly_Q said:
    Clecko said:
    GavRichList said:

I browsed in Guitar Guitar on friday, but you werent allowed to touch anything at all without a formal "I want to try this guitar" type process... which I couldnt be bothered with to be honest. Understandable I guess, but a shame. 
    There's an area at the front of Anderton's set aside fo demoing gear. It's really quite 'on show' - almost like a small stage. And I shit you not: there was a guy sat there playing Stairway to Heaven when I went in!
    Is that for demoing by staff, or for people wanting to try out gear?  The thought of being there on display in front of everyone - even if it's mostly only Andertons staff, very few customers presumably - is really quite horrifying.
    I'm not 100% sure, but think it was a punter demoing a guitar/amp. The set up is that you can only go in as far as the tills, which are all heavily perspex-guarded. There are three or four staff at the front and you talk to them about what you want, they go and have a look and then recommend things for you to try if you want to. They're really organised and appear to be doing a great, responsible job of it, but it takes all the fun out of going to a music shop and must be a bit crap for them, too. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Shame they can't have a private demo room, if that's the way they're doing things.  I remember buying a guitar from Andertons a very long time ago - they've probably changed a lot since then, they may even have moved - and in those days they had a couple of little rooms.  Just left me there as long as I wanted with no-one to laugh at my shitty playing (which hasn't improved since).
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Philly_Q said:
    Shame they can't have a private demo room, if that's the way they're doing things.  I remember buying a guitar from Andertons a very long time ago - they've probably changed a lot since then, they may even have moved - and in those days they had a couple of little rooms.  Just left me there as long as I wanted with no-one to laugh at my shitty playing (which hasn't improved since).
    like the halcyon days of the Academy of Sound! 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5747
    Philly_Q said:
    You can do it that way. If you book ahead they’ll get all the stuff you want to try ready for you and stick you in a little space of your own. I think they have several areas set up for this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    @punchesjudy  are you getting on with the tele?
    I wanted to ask how you find the fret size, as on one of the other forums a guy said he thought they felt more like medium jumbo than jumbo. 
    I've owned American Special teles before and the jumbos Fender use on those are plenty big and what I would have expected again here. Just curious....but if it's their normal jumbos I don't imagine you have any issues bending on this guitar...
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    @rivercider Loving it. Super easy to play. The fretwire is definitely jumbo though. Pretty fat/wide but not super tall (thankfully!) so maybe that's what the other guy thinks feels a bit more medium about them. I owned an American Special before and whilst I can't remember whether that had bigger frets than the Mascis, they both play super well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom