Anyone got/experienced these soundhole pickups?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• I have a bags m80 and also a takemine which is a rebranded m1a.

both are fantastic and I’ve gigged them for years with no problems.  Changing the battery is a bit fiddly as the pickup clamp things can be a bit tricky to fit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    thomasw88 said:
    I have a bags m80 and also a takemine which is a rebranded m1a.

both are fantastic and I’ve gigged them for years with no problems.  Changing the battery is a bit fiddly as the pickup clamp things can be a bit tricky to fit.
    I'm dreading ever changing the battery in my M80. I can undo the mounting clamps ok, I've just never worked out how to make the battery pop out!
  • Just to let everyone know the pickup has developed another fault with an electrical component - the same issue I had with the first one they sent me. Emailed them and they've said after testing they've discovered a faulty component in the latest line of production batches, and I happened to get one of them! They have removed these from retail sale though and once the new line comes out I will be getting a replacement.

I did think getting 2 dodgy pickups in a row was pure bad luck but relieved to know its not!

I really enjoy using the pickup as well, the S-Mic is what sells it to me. Natural, warm and like an unplugged acoustic guitar!!

I might consider getting a Mag Mic though as a backup. I had to use my condenser mic as emergency for the past week.
    oh man that's unlucky. 
  • Yeah, part of me is thinking they're maybe covering up for having shitty manufactured products lol. I mean to go through 3 pickups doesn't happen to everyone right? But I'm hoping its third time lucky for me.
  • Replacement AG6 arrived this morning, took a few days for "International Priority" (previous 2 pickups came next day). Anyway all seems well, no washy cutting out noises and sounds great as it did when it was working. Hopefully no more bad luck now!
  • Pickup still working well after a couple of months, sounding great. A guitar student recently bought the iRig acoustic stage and we recorded with it the other day. It sounds quite good actually! Natural sounding and not too fiddly to use. He will use that if we record any stuff in the lessons. Was using an SM57 but they're not the best mics to be using on an acoustic (not really for quiet instruments). I'll be picking up an iRig acoustic stage for myself, as a backup to my AG6 and also if I want to use different guitars. 
  • I'd not looked in to the irig but it looks interesting. Not too expensive either. This talk of pickups is making me want to gig again. Not done any this year, and kind of miss it. 
  • It was originally on my list til you kindly suggested the AG6 but with the faulty pickups experienced I don't trust it to be reliable lol. At first I wasn't convinced by the iRig but having heard it for myself I think it'd be a good option for me to have as a spare or change guitar. Also if I record students playing I'll just use my own AG6 and they can use the iRig. Much easier than having a mic on a stand and having them sit in the same position for the recording (half the time they move around and the guitar is in a different position to how it was before).

The only thing that bugs me is that flimsy wire from the pickup mic thing into the preamp box. Live it could get caught and it'd be easily snapped off but this would be solely for home use although it can still break.
  • Yeah it looks like it could get caught if you move around a lot on stage, and I think I'd be worried about knocking the bit that hangs out of the soundhole. But I guess sat down at home it might not be so much of a problem. If it sounds ok though as you say might be more convenient than a mic on a stand. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited December 2021
    Went and got one before the weekend haha. It's really really good actually! Surprised me in a good way! Sounds natural and almost as if I had a nice condenser mic in front of the acoustic, just without one...lol. Its super quick and easy to setup and use, and I like how its got 3 different tone settings, natural, warm and bright. I like the natural one the most, it sounds really good with my D28 and I also put it in my Tanglewood TW28. Still prefer the Schertler as it sounds fuller and warmer but its an able backup and easy to swap between different guitars. If anything ever goes down with my AG6 I have an adequate spare lying around. A nice piece of kit for the money.
  • Good to know, thanks for the review.