Talk to me about importing from Japan

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Here's what's coming hopefully

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nlanla Frets: 1
    Nothing but good experiences so far. Most Japanese (stores and individuals) are honest and disciplined sellers. Cultural thing: they don’t really have much space for hoarding, so there is a huge second hand market… but most Japanese prefer buying new vs second hand, so lots of stuff can be had for very little money. They also tend to exaggerate nicks and dings and price accordingly (often you’d need a microscope to see the “damage”). Language might be an issue, but it never was for me. Shipping, however, is a different thing: they prefer EMS, which means that in my country, import is dealt with by customs (which can take weeks) and local delivery is handled by the notorious national Postal Service. If possible, I ask for UPS. Hope this helps, shoot me a PM if any other Qs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    Very nice! Keep us informed as things progress, and hope you do a NGD when it arrives.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Halls66Halls66 Frets: 24
    I have bought a (new) guitar from Ikebe, overall a great experience. Happy to help anyone interested in doing the same and wants some more info
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    edited August 2021
    nla said:
    Nothing but good experiences so far. Most Japanese (stores and individuals) are honest and disciplined sellers. Cultural thing: they don’t really have much space for hoarding, so there is a huge second hand market… but most Japanese prefer buying new vs second hand, so lots of stuff can be had for very little money. They also tend to exaggerate nicks and dings and price accordingly (often you’d need a microscope to see the “damage”). Language might be an issue, but it never was for me. Shipping, however, is a different thing: they prefer EMS, which means that in my country, import is dealt with by customs (which can take weeks) and local delivery is handled by the notorious national Postal Service. If possible, I ask for UPS. Hope this helps, shoot me a PM if any other Qs.
    The damaged part...lol, in figure collecting, this crease on the left side of the box is considered "heavily damaged".   They just have higher standards in general.

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1710
    edited August 2021
    Mines landed and I’ve paid the VAT - no customs
    charges for some reason. Final delivery tomorrow.

All in, I’ve saved about £500 (maybe a bit more) compared with buying from the multiple eBay brokers who were still advertising the guitar up until this weekend…

I going to do this more often

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • My Zen Market Purchase has turned up. Seemingly no VAT or Import duty. Shipped from Japan on Thursday and Fed Ex delivered it today!

This was a bit of a test to see how the process works. As I said, I've been after an Olympic White Strat with a 70s style headstock but the pricing in the UK has been a bit inflated. I'd always fancied a Tokai so I considered those aswell as the Fender Japan ST72 models. The Fender Japan guitars are all c60000 - 70000 yen and with any VAT or duty you are up towards UK prices so for this first foray I went with a Tokai.

The process is  actually pretty slick. You do have to lodge funds with Zenmarket so you can bid. and there is a 3% fee regardless of your funding method. I used Paypal and deposited enough to cover the bid and estimated packing and shipping.
    I was the only bidder and won the auction which was £170. Once you've won Zenmarket pays the seller and takes delivery in their warehouse. They let you know when it's arrived and for a fee they take pics of the item to show you condition. I did this but not sure I would again - It was about a tenner for 4 pics but I guess they have to unpack and repack.

Quite a sturdy package!

They also offer a packing re-inforcement service which I opted for. It cost a little bit more- probs about £20. From then they weigh the item and quote you different delivery options. I chose to go for Fed Ex which wasn't the most expensive  but it estimated 3/4 days delivery. I was a bit sceptical but it arrived in that time period. You can put it on a boat and wait a couple of months. I think the weight was c7kg and the air freight cost c£55.

SO overall my costs were 40,000 yen which is about £265.

The guitar itself is pretty good. I'm not sure how old it is but I'm guessing as an SS-38 it's c1982/83. For a guitar that old its actually in quite good shape. There are a couple of dings on the body but the neck is good and frets have some life in the them. I'm not sure how worn they are as I figure they are vintage style originally then perhaps they weren't the tallest. There are no grooves in them and importantly it plays ok. I've put some new strings on it and will let it settle. The tuners are operational but not great quality - some might need a bit of lubrication to loosen them up.

I'm far from expert but I reckon its all original spec. I'll see how I get on with it comparing to my Fender Classic 60s before I decide what to change on it if anything. I do want a white pickguard for more of the Blackmore vibe but I'll see how I bond with it.

Overall this importing from Japan was less of a lottlery than it could have been . I've got a half decent vintage guitar which on first impressions is very playable with no work and it's cost me a fair bit less than £300. I like buying used things - it's better for the planet. 

If anyone want's any further info on Zenmarket then drop me a PM.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    My Zen Market Purchase has turned up. Seemingly no VAT or Import duty. Shipped from Japan on Thursday and Fed Ex delivered it today!

This was a bit of a test to see how the process works. As I said, I've been after an Olympic White Strat with a 70s style headstock but the pricing in the UK has been a bit inflated. I'd always fancied a Tokai so I considered those aswell as the Fender Japan ST72 models. The Fender Japan guitars are all c60000 - 70000 yen and with any VAT or duty you are up towards UK prices so for this first foray I went with a Tokai.

The process is  actually pretty slick. You do have to lodge funds with Zenmarket so you can bid. and there is a 3% fee regardless of your funding method. I used Paypal and deposited enough to cover the bid and estimated packing and shipping.
    I was the only bidder and won the auction which was £170. Once you've won Zenmarket pays the seller and takes delivery in their warehouse. They let you know when it's arrived and for a fee they take pics of the item to show you condition. I did this but not sure I would again - It was about a tenner for 4 pics but I guess they have to unpack and repack.

Quite a sturdy package!

They also offer a packing re-inforcement service which I opted for. It cost a little bit more- probs about £20. From then they weigh the item and quote you different delivery options. I chose to go for Fed Ex which wasn't the most expensive  but it estimated 3/4 days delivery. I was a bit sceptical but it arrived in that time period. You can put it on a boat and wait a couple of months. I think the weight was c7kg and the air freight cost c£55.

SO overall my costs were 40,000 yen which is about £265.
    FedEx always delivers the customs invoice *after* delivery. Keep your eye on your mailbox… ;)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    ^^^ He is correct.  FedEx never forgets, you will get a bill 2 weeks' time.

Here is a hint, when you get it, email FedEx and say something like you are happy to pay for the tax and customs charges for HMRC but you think the "brokerage surcharge" is excessive and ask them to waive it.  I've done it twice and both times I got that part deducted.

It's not much but every little helps.