BOSS SD1 Super Overdrive. Good or Not?

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 910
Just read Adam Goldsmiths column in the latest issue of Guitarist magazine and he highly praises the SD1, he says that it easily holds its own against high end boutique pedals. They’re relatively cheap new and there’s a lot of bargain ones on EBay. What’s the verdict of Forum members?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 895
    I used one for ages and they're great. It does have a specific eq it adds which really cuts through in a mix. You might like that effect, or not. As you say, cheap enough so no problem to buy a used one and give it a go.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Good
  • I’ve used one as a boost into Marshall (and Marshall style) amps and it does its thing - which you might or might not like.

I liked it for what I was trying to achieve but, as mentioned, cheap enough to try and see I guess.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    I used one for ages and they're great. It does have a specific eq it adds which really cuts through in a mix. You might like that effect, or not. As you say, cheap enough so no problem to buy a used one and give it a go.

I’ve used one as a boost into Marshall (and Marshall style) amps and it does its thing - which you might or might not like.

I liked it for what I was trying to achieve but, as mentioned, cheap enough to try and see I guess.
    Would it suit Fender amps?
    Are they warm sounding or shrill?
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 895
    They cut a bit of bass, which is great for tightening up an overdriven tone. There is a tone control, so if you use that you can match it to the amp. I find there's a spot where it cuts through but is not shrill. Quite a lot of reviews on YouTube you could check, if I had to describe it I'd say it was just a nice crunchy typical rock sound. Also classic way of using it to turn the gain down and use it to boost a valve amp.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Get one.
    It's a classic and shits on a lot of booteeky pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    An SD-1 into a JCM800 accounts for the guitar sound on about 50% of classic metal records. 

It's very close to a TS so if you like one you will probably like the other. For whatever reason you seem to get more Fender + TS and Marshall + SD1, but either way should work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 396
    Buy one. Try it. If you like it, keep it.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    Sassafras said:
    Get one.
    It's a classic and shits on a lot of booteeky pedals.
    ^ This is the truth, get one you wont regret it :)
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3597
    Prefer the OD3... but it is a classic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Great. One of the classic overdrive pedals, broadly in the 'Tube Screamer family', but slightly differently voiced and which seems to work extra well with Marshall-type amps. (Although fine with Fender and other types too.)

It has one slight fault - when the drive control is set fairly high (usually above about 1 o'clock), distortion leaks into the bypass signal. How much varies from one example to another, but it's always present to some degree unless you run the SD-1 after another buffered pedal, which suppresses it. It's only noticeable if you use a perfectly clean amp sound though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Anyone had experience with the Waza version?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I'm planning to get one to complete my set :)
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    markj said:
    Just read Adam Goldsmiths column in the latest issue of Guitarist magazine and he highly praises the SD1, he says that it easily holds its own against high end boutique pedals. They’re relatively cheap new and there’s a lot of bargain ones on EBay. What’s the verdict of Forum members?

If it's good enough for Mr Gilmour, then it's good enough for you :)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    markj said:
    Yes. I haven’t tried them side-by-side, but I thought the SD-1W’s Custom mode was a bit better than the Standard mode—mostly I think it has more bass. The SD-1W does also fix the distortion-leaking-into-bypass issue that ICBM mentioned above.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    polotska said:
    markj said:
    Yes. I haven’t tried them side-by-side, but I thought the SD-1W’s Custom mode was a bit better than the Standard mode—mostly I think it has more bass. The SD-1W does also fix the distortion-leaking-into-bypass issue that ICBM mentioned above.
    ^^ this - the Waza version would be my preferred buy 100% of the time unless you are on some super tight unexpandable budget. 

That said, agree with others that it's still a classic pedal with "a sound". I think it's one of the like three pedals total Lindsey Buckingham has on his board, right? If that's not a pretty good argument for it I dunno what is.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    markj said:

If it's good enough for Mr Gilmour, then it's good enough for you :)
    Indeed. Crazy he pretty much just used off the shelf boss and EHX pedals as his core tone for most of the 80s/ 90s. It’s probably a good message for the rest of us!
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Yes, the SD-1 is an absolute classic. 

I haven't tried the Waza, but TBH I think the fact that the standard model cuts out some of the bass is a large part of the magic you get with the LP>SD-1>Marshall set up. 

I love this pedal. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Brilliant pedal and now available in fetching black colour scheme...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom