What's Hot

Comments

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Big fan.

SD1 plus a Marshall? Yep.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    JezWynd said:
    Brilliant pedal and now available in fetching black colour scheme...

Is that just the standard pedal, only with the ltd edition paint job? 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    An SD-1 into a JCM800 accounts for the guitar sound on about 50% of classic metal records. 

It's very close to a TS so if you like one you will probably like the other. For whatever reason you seem to get more Fender + TS and Marshall + SD1, but either way should work.
    Yeah. The SD1 has a little more bite and treble. If you hate a TS, you won't like it (most likely, anyway), but if you like a TS but wished it was slightly less smooth in the treble, then the SD1 is pretty much what you want.
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    edited July 2021
    I love them - specifically into my JCM900 master volume - in the most obvious statement on this forum ... you have to use your ears to get the "gud tones".

I thought they were crap, as for some reason I thought if the pedal was at the more exteme settings I was doing something wrong (low and high extremes of tone, volume and drive). There's some good sounds there if you balance with the amp.

Also enjoy them stacked. One love drive into a high drive does interesting things.

I waited a bit on eBay and got two for 25 quid each ... the modable ones too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4489
    It's a yes from me.  SD-1 into Marshall is 'that' sound.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    But what about a Fender?
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4489
    markj said:
    But what about a Fender?
    Yes, a Fender into an SD-1 into a Marshall is good too.

;) 
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Redlester said:
    JezWynd said:

Is that just the standard pedal, only with the ltd edition paint job? 
    Yes, it's the standard version. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    JezWynd said:
    Is that a 40th Anniversary one? The SD-1 came out in 1981 if I remember correctly.

It's worryingly tempting... I've got the 40th Anniversary DS-1 already.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited July 2021
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:
    Is that a 40th Anniversary one? The SD-1 came out in 1981 if I remember correctly.

I recently put a slightly chipped 40th anniversary DS-1 on eBay expecting £20-30 for it, didn’t even advertise it as the limited version but obviously had the photo up. It had over 60 watchers and auctioned for about £20 more than a brand new one!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TINMAN82 said:

I recently put a slightly chipped 40th anniversary DS-1 on eBay expecting £20-30 for it, didn’t even advertise it as the limited version but obviously had the photo up. It had over 60 watchers and auctioned for about £20 more than a brand new one!
    That might be because of the rarity - although they aren't, very - but also because it's the last version with the original through-hole-component PCB, so may be more desirable because of that. The newer version uses a smaller surface-mount board which can't be modded or repaired anywhere near as easily.

Interestingly my 40th sounds better than any other DS-1 I've owned, including to the best of my memory an early MIJ one. The difference is that the 40th has little to none of that annoying separation between an underlying clean sound and a buzzy distortion 'sitting on top' of it as the distortion decays back to clean.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    ICBM said:
    TINMAN82 said:

That might be because of the rarity - although they aren't, very - but also because it's the last version with the original through-hole-component PCB, so may be more desirable because of that. The newer version uses a smaller surface-mount board which can't be modded or repaired anywhere near as easily.

Interestingly my 40th sounds better than any other DS-1 I've owned, including to the best of my memory an early MIJ one. The difference is that the 40th has little to none of that annoying separation between an underlying clean sound and a buzzy distortion 'sitting on top' of it as the distortion decays back to clean.
    Well, it sounded like a swarm of wasps to my ears so I was happy to make a small profit on mine!
  • TINMAN82 said:
    ICBM said:
    TINMAN82 said:

Well, it sounded like a swarm of wasps to my ears so I was happy to make a small profit on mine!
    They certainly have "a sound" to them!

Sounds great into a dirty Marshall though, for big lead sounds and really thick riffs, for when the sd-1 doesn't quite do it.

I actually prefer the ds-2 slightly. Mode 1 is a bit less waspy than the ds-1 and mode 2 is like a boosted muff-like lead tone with infinite mids (and not much else). 
    edited July 2021
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

Yes, I suppose it must be, they came out at the same time as the Tonebender but probably got lost in the excitement of the latter. I got it as I too have a DS-1-4A; they do stack well together.

It is made in Malaysia btw, a first perhaps for a Boss pedal?
    JezWynd said:

Now watch vintage Taiwanese ones rocket in value...

;)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

Now watch vintage Taiwanese ones rocket in value...

;)

Gave you a lol, though should probably have been a Wis. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4160
    I have a friend who loves them so much he has two on his board when he's gigging. I've actually got him stored in my phone as "Super Overdrive" :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    SD-1 -> JCM800 = :-) 

Also, an ace mid-y solo-y boost-y thing generally. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    I’ve had a number of overdrive pedals over the years including a few pretty expensive ones. For me the SD-1 beats anything else I’ve tried. It has a noticeable mid-hump which IMHO helps 6L6 / 6V6 amps (which can sound slightly scooped) to cut through.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17584
    tFB Trader
    What I find interesting is the SD1-W is a really popular overdrive but they hardly ever come up on the classifieds. I think that tells you something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom