Nostalgia - Radio 1 Road Show - Smiley Miley

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
edited July 2021 in Off Topic tFB Trader
Who remembers the days of summer holidays in the 70's and 80's and the Radio 1 Road Show - Smiley Miley + Bits n Pieces quiz - When they would tour sea side resorts around the UK

Anyone actually go to any on these shows
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    It was fucking awful, an absolute low point in our cultural history.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    My dad used to work for a motor caravan company who leased vehicles to radio one, we met smiley miley and someone else I had never heard of and got loads of tshirts, stickers caps, badges etc, this would have been 83/4 I think.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11625
    It's a period on our cultural landscape best left undisturbed.  Otherwise images of Gary Davies, DLT, Simon Bates and all the other smug, up-their-own-arse farm-owning gropers will flood back.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I did see one. I’m struggling to think where it was but I was on holiday and the roadshow turned up one day. Mike Read played a few songs with his band ( I remember Spirit in the Sky) before they joined the broadcast and he talked to people and played records. I don’t think I watched all of it and was a long way away. It was reasonably uninteresting. On the radio it sounded kinda fun but the reality of standing at the back of a big crowd in the heat wasn’t great.

I did see a Beacon Radio roadshow in Wolverhampton once and got to see Clare Grogan from a few feet away whilst she talked to the DJ. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • On the very first series of that, Johnnie Walker brought the road show to my then home town of Helensburgh. About 200 people attended, including my then very early teenage self, and the crowd gradually thinned out across the two hour show.

Later in the 80s (didn't see that one, because I'd left home several years before), they came back and apparently drew well into the thousands.

Neither time was the show particularly interesting, but then it was the 70s/80s music of the type being played by Radio 1, so what would anyone expect?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I went to one in 80/81? I can't remember where. It was really hot and I got a Radio 1 T shirt. That's all I can remember. 

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
     An excuse for some high paid nonces to tour the provinces looking for underage victims.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    I was quite entranced by the road shows in the seventies, also with Capital Radio's summer (Levis sponsored) appearances in Selfridges.

Around 1981 I was doing some kitchen work in Windsor and Mike Read was DJing the evening party. I was pretty excited, as at the time he was playing some good stuff on his Radio One show.

Boy was he a let down - played crappy pop funk and was arrogant to boot. I got drunk, and as a result told him I had "put something in" his dinner.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11625
    I was quite entranced by the road shows in the seventies, also with Capital Radio's summer (Levis sponsored) appearances in Selfridges.

Around 1981 I was doing some kitchen work in Windsor and Mike Read was DJing the evening party. I was pretty excited, as at the time he was playing some good stuff on his Radio One show.

Boy was he a let down - played crappy pop funk and was arrogant to boot. I got drunk, and as a result told him I had "put something in" his dinner.
    Attaboy.  And I hope you really HAD put something in his dinner...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I think the Radio 1 Road Show did come to Swansea once - on one of the many beaches, presumably - but I didn't go to see it.

I did like the Bits & Pieces quiz.  I always like a quiz.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    I vaguely remember going to one in late 70s. Seem to remember t shirts getting thrown about and some skinheads pushing through the crowd but thats about it really.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    I vaguely remember the BBC once presenting a Radio 1 Roadshow as a television "simulcast" on a Saturday. It was pants.

When one is young, there might be some appeal in the idea of getting one's name mentioned on live national radio. As one matures, this idea becomes irretrievably naff.

Throw in the revelation that several of the DJ presenters and their special guests turned out to be either gropers or statutory rapists and the whole enterprise looks seriously creepy.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24298
    Philly_Q said:
    I think the Radio 1 Road Show did come to Swansea once - on one of the many beaches, presumably - but I didn't go to see it.

It certainly came to the Leisure Centre car park.  I dunno about the beaches.  I was there as... wait for it....  an assistant to a hospital radio DJ's assistant!  That's about as low down the chain as it gets :lol: 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    p90fool said:
    Spot on. And it's just reminded me of Simon Bates and Our Tune. 'Scuse me, I have to vomit.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Emp_Fab said:
    Philly_Q said:

It certainly came to the Leisure Centre car park.  I dunno about the beaches.  I was there as... wait for it....  an assistant to a hospital radio DJ's assistant!  That's about as low down the chain as it gets :lol: 
    Any idea what year that would have been?  I left Swansea in 1982, the "new" leisure centre and the Quadrant centre had been going for a few years before then, I guess now they're probably rubble...
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
     An excuse for some high paid nonces to tour the provinces looking for underage victims.
    Now then,Now then ,Now then ....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    They always went to shithole places like Clacton or Skegness .............never made it to Salcombe
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    JezWynd said:
    p90fool said:
    Spot on. And it's just reminded me of Simon Bates and Our Tune. 'Scuse me, I have to vomit.
    (In the voice of SImes) "We've changed the names in this weeks story to protect their idendidees" Utter twaddle, guys at a place I worked would fall silent for this daily dose of shite.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    edited July 2021
    Being a very young child in the 80s I remember these and also remember them being a big deal in our otherwise neglected part of the north east coastline. 

The sort of thing kids would actually look forward to...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • JezWynd said:
    p90fool said:
    (In the voice of SImes) "We've changed the names in this weeks story to protect their idendidees" Utter twaddle, guys at a place I worked would fall silent for this daily dose of shite.
    He unquestionably milked it, but I also remember an interview with him in the mid-80s where he was asked why he did it, and he said "Because I can't not do it. We try to kill it off at least once a year by giving it a 'break' and hoping everyone will forget about it but then we get literally thousands of letters wanting it to return. And it keeps me in a job*, so, hey."

*Until eventually in 1990 it didn't.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom