NuAge Tonewood - Build thread

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16665
edited August 2021 in Making & Modding
I keep getting Facebook ads for this stuff.  Sounds intriguing so I have decided to order a body, neck and fretboard of the NuAge "Rosewood"

https://www.mahoganygreen.com/product-category/nuage-tonewoods/

From what I can see its a sustainable softwood that has been pressure treated and dyed through out to mimic rosewood or ebony

I have had wood treated in a similar way before. usually stabilized hardwoods though, so i'm interested to see how it works here

The "rosewood" fretboard has a density of 700 – 1100 kg/m3 (RW averages out at 830 kg/m3).  The body and necks are less dense at 550 – 700 kg/m3, the lower end of which is in line with mahogany

lets see what turns up!

Anyone have any experience of it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    Never used it, nor heard of anyone who has.

But at those prices, got to be worth a try.

Also see that they stock Deacci pickups.  Those are good quality (and pricey) units, so implies that it's a "proper" supplier.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I wanted to try that in a headplate but at 5mm ended up making one instead. The body does looks tempting, esp with weight relieving and top added. Otherwise I've only used small bits of rocklite.

Didn't @Andyjr1515 make an acoustic with something similar, was it rocklite rosewood-a-like or.. am I remembering right Andy?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    edited July 2021
    my only slight concern is the body blanks are made up from multiple pieces.  the example on the website is 2 layers or 2-3 pieces to make up a body.   It's going to be interesting to see if its nicely matched and can be left natural, or will be "paint grade".

Its not an issue at this price if it is a suitable material for body blanks.  However, if it is paint grade i'm not sure I see the point of it being dyed to look like rosewood

I don't expect it will have the usual issues with multiple pieces, where the joints eventually reveal themselves through the finish.  there shouldn't be any of the normal wood movement at all 

If the weight is accurate (2.5kg), final body weight for an average sized guitar should be between 3-3.5lbs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Corvus said:
    I wanted to try that in a headplate but at 5mm ended up making one instead. The body does looks tempting, esp with weight relieving and top added. Otherwise I've only used small bits of rocklite.

Didn't @Andyjr1515 make an acoustic with something similar, was it rocklite rosewood-a-like or.. am I remembering right Andy?
    I have Gillett Contour 6 hydrid made from Rocklite Sundari, @Corvus ;    Well remembered!

Sounds like a similar material, @WezV ;

I visited the workshop a number of times and the Rocklite machines and cuts/sands pretty much like solid wood.  The only stuff I've used myself is the Rocklite binding which is pretty good other than the fibres tend to break out during tight bends round the bending iron.  

I'll be interested how you get on with the NuAge, Wez
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    Nice. That does look interesting.. Cheers.
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1730
    tFB Trader
    I made up a few fingerboards with Blackwood Tek early on, it's Radiata Pine thats been pressure treated and dyed with all kinds of resins I think.

It was ok, mimicked ebony well but I did find it to be a little brittle. It did work, though.
    I think this is Radiata Pine, at least according to some comments I have found about it.

I have used richlite before,  which is paper based.  I wasn't totally happy with it as I managed  to delaminate some of the offcuts and I did wonder if the same might happen during a refret.

Not tried rocklite or Blackwood Tek yet, but I am more interested in the idea of actual sustainable wood thats converted in this way.   
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    I think this is Radiata Pine, at least according to some comments I have found about it.

I have used richlite before,  which is paper based.  I wasn't totally happy with it as I managed  to delaminate some of the offcuts and I did wonder if the same might happen during a refret.

Not tried rocklite or Blackwood Tek yet, but I am more interested in the idea of actual sustainable wood thats converted in this way.   
    Yeah Richlite is far too hard in my opinion I found it a pain to work with (was for another project)

I’d imagine this could be Blackwood but another name? Think it’s made in NZ?
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2348
    tFB Trader
    I have used Rocklite for head veneers, it looks even blacker the real Ebony. The only problem I have with it, the head veneers are far too thick, basically have to sand off about 2/3 to get it to a sensible thickness. Which is fine I have a drum sander, if you haven't I would imagine it will be a real pain in the arse. It does work exactly the same as real wood. I have Rocklite finger boards, Ebony and Rosewood types in stock but have not used them yet.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

Turned up today.

The fretboard and neck blank are exactly as you would expect.   They are exactly the dimensions stated on the website, but note that this is a little short for something like a strat neck... would be much more versatile if they were a couple of inches longer.

The tap tone is pretty good, so I have no doubt they will make some nice instruments 

The body is heavier than expected, but I guess it is in line with rosewood.   Its 5kg in its raw state.   I assume the weight quoted on the website is closer to a finished solid body weight using this material.   That does mean I would want to chamber it to get near a weight I like.

Mine is multiple strips rather than layers    I'm glad about that.  Will have to see how those edges look once shaped to see if it's paint grade, burst edges, or left completely natural 

As a sustainable alternative, I'm okay with it so far.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2348
    tFB Trader
    Another wood that could be a replacement for Swamp ash, I'll say no more about it, as there's a good video link below that tells you all about it.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

I've seen him posting about that, I keep meaning to give it a try.

I just had a free lunch, so decided to start something with the body blank.   I have to say this stuff works really nicely.  

With that in mind I would certainly recommend this to newby builders who are not yet used to reading grain direction when routing as its very forgiving.  Tear out  was a non-issue, even in the trickiest areas.  it cut easily on the bandsaw, even in the tightest curves, and it sands really nicely 

20 minutes after starting i have an LP shape, routed for a strat neck pocket.... I'm going for a hybrid ;)

Its a little on the tubby side, but not crazy heavy.  

I expect it would be about 9lb finished if i do no weight relief.  I think I'm going for a large guard down the treble side,  and a large gut cut on the back.  both of those should bring it in somewhere acceptable

just sat down to draw a guard design and hit on something I like pretty quickly

that would allow a substantial control cavity  and additional smuggle routes under the guard if needed 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks really nice! Colour wouldn't matter to me, it would need spraying in something bright :) 
    Looks really nice! Colour wouldn't matter to me, it would need spraying in something bright :) 
    I agree, it's gonna need a solid bright colour.  Might be white because I've just made a blue guard ;)

I didn't take any pictures of the guard being made, but once it was done it allowed me to route a control cavity.   This was drawn on, drilled out and routed free hand

Weights getting better

Here is a mockup with the blue guard.  It's got a really fine sparkle to it

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1469
    Oh aye, I'm digging the Merle Travis vibes
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Excellent job mate!
    euan said:
    Oh aye, I'm digging the Merle Travis vibes
    Can't deny it's an influence 

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    @WezV how do the edges of the body look, could it be given a clear finish?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited August 2021
    It's not too bad.  They have matched the end grain pretty well so it doesn't jump out in most areas.  Just a couple where it's more obvious.  Will get some pics at some point.

It will get a solid finish