I love this forum but.....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    And because I like typing on a keyboard, not a phone screen, the how to ...

1.  In the imgur app on your phone, click the image you want to share so that it displays on the screen.
    2.  Click it again (it now displays in the middle of the screen, row of 4 icons along the bottom of the screen).
    3.  The right-most icon is the "share" icon.  Click it.
    4.  That opens another screen, with the image link shown at the top. 
    5.  NB, the image link will end .jpg (or other image file extension).
    6.  Guess what ... tap the "copy" button!
    7.  Back to the forum, use the content-embed button here (piece of paper with corner turned over) and "paste".
    8.  Job done.

It took a lot longer to type that out - and read it  - than it does to actually do the job!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Roland ;

Repeat - this knowledge should really be gathered together, and maintained, in the main "how to" thread.  You've now got a couple of the options for imgur covered in this thread, but the solutions are lost amongst the discussion posts, and the title of the thread doesn't really indicate that it contains the useful info.

(And lets not pretend that the search function is useful!).

Add in the steps for iOS and OSX (if that's different to Windows) and you've got the set for imgur.  I presume that the steps are browser-agnostic, but might be worth checking the main ones.

I suggest that maintenance of this knowledge base be a modmin role.  Users come and go (allegedly) whereas there's always a modmin team around to keep order, and keep the place running smoothly, and ensure that people can use the forum properly.  And also clean up any irrelevant comment (or lock the thread) to keep it all easy to find.
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited July 2021
    On iphone and imgur app, this is how to do it:

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2472686/#Comment_2472686

In the Imgur app, go to your album so you can see your pics. 

Then click on your pic. But DON’T SELECT SHARE!

Then you have to click on your pic ONE EXTRA TIME, so that it is in the centre of your screen, surrounded by black. THEN you click on the out-tray icon at the bottom:

Then you can select “copy link” and paste the URL here:

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2620
    Just a thought that space and bandwidth for hosting is one thing, but the eccentricities surrounding embedding images in Vanilla strike me as being to do with security as much as anything else - if you allow people to upload images directly to your site it offers up a huge attack vector, with the possibility of malicious code embedded in the image (don't ask me how, I'm just repeating scare stories I've heard).

Similarly, it seems Vanilla only wants direct links to images hosted on the web (so that it doesn't have to do the tedious and complicated job of stripping out stuff that shouldn't be there, which hosting services will do as part of their upload process). Hosting services will offer you something with an embed code (so that they can control and monitor where the image is used), so you have to get tricky to get at the pure web address of the image. That's why it's not as simple as clicking a button on Imgur and pasting here - the requirements of the two sites are at odds with each other and need a workaround. 

That's my theory, anyway. 
    That's why it's not as simple as clicking a button on Imgur and pasting here
    But - really - it is that simple!

Complications arise because;

1.  Different OSes or UIs display pages differently or have different ways of allowing users to access the functionality, but all of the instructions listed above are pretty much "click this button, select copy, switch windows, click that button, paste".

and

2.  Everything "improves" regularly - UIs change and functionality is "enhanced", often with the objective of monetising a site or function.

and

3.    User aversion to reading/understanding the how-to guide.

One of the downsides of Vanilla is, ironically, one of its strengths.    Bugger all changes here.  The UI and functionality are pretty much exactly as they were when we launched the forum back in 2013.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    TTony said:
    @Roland ;

Repeat - this knowledge should really be gathered together, and maintained, in the main "how to" thread.

He might be on holibobs ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    He might be on holibobs ....
    I'm not familiar with that concept @Jalapeno ; - please explain
    ;)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Holibobs = life outside of the forum. In this case I’ve been to visit a potential supplier south of Birmingham, and I’m now about to do something else. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Don't think there's any great urgency @Roland ... the content (and frustrated users) will all still be here when you get back.  Just needs some moddyminny tidying up and organising.

Enjoy holibobbling in just south of Birmingham and the something else-ing too.

;) 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Posting pics is easy on laptop and android phone, its been detailed above and numerous times before, I don't get why it's considered hard......

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    I guess it’s considered a pain in the arse once you use another forum where you simply upload an image, no secondary hosting shit. It’s not hard here, but it’s not a quick simple process compared to other forums.