The Famous Harshness of the Blues Driver

What's Hot

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    The name is exactly why I've never tried one. 

If I like it, I may well copy that Bus Driver idea...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Just scrape off the s and the r. Blue Drive.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    edited July 2021
    I've always loved the Blues Driver and never found it harsh when used with various amps both valve and solid state. I've currently got the Mooer Blues Crab and it's really good. And as @smudge_lad says, I used to have a Marshall AVT100 and my old Blues Driver sounded great with that. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Mooer Blues Crab is not based on the Blues Driver though, it’s apparently a clone of the Mk I Bluesbreaker pedal.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Mooer Blues Crab is not based on the Blues Driver though, it’s apparently a clone of the Mk I Bluesbreaker pedal.
    Well, bugger me. Sounds nice either way! 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Blues Mood is the Blues Driver
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    ICBM said:
    Like a lot of drive pedals with plenty of top-end, it can be harsh into Fenders with the standard reverb mixer section, because there's a cap in the signal path which accentuates highs - unless the amp is really cranked up into power-stage overdrive, which smooths that out again.

It's probably rarely copied because as thermionic said, it's a fairly complex circuit - it's effectively an op-amp but built with discrete transistors rather than just using an IC.

As smudge_lad says, it stacks very well with an SD-1 as well (SD-1 into BD-2).

Probably the biggest thing I don't like about it is the name... I don't really like my gear to tell me what sort of music I should be playing. But I saw one recently which had been creatively modified by its owner by carefully removing two letters, and I nearly bought it.

B u s Driver :).
    But then it's telling me what vehicle I should drive!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited July 2021
    I’ve got one don’t really use it on its own due it sounding on the harsh and grainy side. To my mind the SD-1 is a far better sounding pedal - fatter, smother - and is cheap as chips. Agree with others that BD-2 and SD-1 work well together though. SD-1 for drive, both together for more drive.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    HAL9000 said:
    I’ve got one don’t really use it on its own due it sounding on the harsh and grainy side. To my mind the SD-1 is a far better sounding pedal - fatter, smother - and is cheap as chips. Agree with others that BD-2 and SD-1 work well together though. SD-1 for drive, both together for more drive.
    That’s why I got rid of mine. Pedals have come quite a long way since the BD2 was released, meaning less stacking is required to smooth them out or tweak the EQ. 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I haven't actually owned a Blues Driver, but I have owned two clones. I also own a Marshall DSL. 

First was the Digitech Screamin Blues which @Dave_Mc ; wrote about. I liked it, but not enough to hold onto it. Even with twin tone pots, I found that high end fizz didn't completely go away. To my ears, the fizz really started when I wound the gain up, past about 2 o clock from memory. 

About two years ago, I took a punt on the Mooer Blues Mood, which as you say is essentially a clone of the Keeley BD. In the normal mode I use it more like I'd use a Super Overdrive, into a driven amp, and the fizz isn't really an issue. I've tried that trick of having it 'always on' to add a bit of sparkle to cleaner sounds, and it's good for that too. 

In the extra mode there's hardly any fizz audible at all. I like this setting a lot, and wind the gain full up without getting froth and fizz. 

I think I paid £18 used off ebay. A really good pedal. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3542
    Redlester said:
    I haven't actually owned a Blues Driver, but I have owned two clones. I also own a Marshall DSL. 

First was the Digitech Screamin Blues which @Dave_Mc ; wrote about. I liked it, but not enough to hold onto it. Even with twin tone pots, I found that high end fizz didn't completely go away. To my ears, the fizz really started when I wound the gain up, past about 2 o clock from memory. 

About two years ago, I took a punt on the Mooer Blues Mood, which as you say is essentially a clone of the Keeley BD. In the normal mode I use it more like I'd use a Super Overdrive, into a driven amp, and the fizz isn't really an issue. I've tried that trick of having it 'always on' to add a bit of sparkle to cleaner sounds, and it's good for that too. 

In the extra mode there's hardly any fizz audible at all. I like this setting a lot, and wind the gain full up without getting froth and fizz. 

I think I paid £18 used off ebay. A really good pedal. 

Blues Mood is very good. I kind of feel they should mix a bit of TS DNA in with the blues driver. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    So how does the Waza version compare to the stock one?

My (stock) one arrived today and I *think* I like it a lot. It does get a bit raspy at higher gain, but a lot of drive pedals do that. Intrigued as to how the Waza changes the sound. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader

My (stock) one arrived today and I *think* I like it a lot. It does get a bit raspy at higher gain, but a lot of drive pedals do that. Intrigued as to how the Waza changes the sound. 

The Waza pedals are made of very high quality components so they have a lower noise floor but otherwise sound the same in standard mode.

Custom mode has more low end and more gain.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907

The standard mode is pretty much the same as the OG BD2 but it has the advantage of lower noise plus it has a better buffer circuit so sounds better when off.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    Johnnyseven said:

The standard mode is pretty much the same as the OG BD2 but it has the advantage of lower noise plus it has a better buffer circuit so sounds better when off.
    Don't say they've actually fixed the not-quite-unity-gain problem with the standard Boss buffer?! That would be remarkable given that they've consistently failed to address any of the well-known issues with any of their pedals until now... although from what I understand, the bypass bleed issue with the SD-1 is also fixed in the Waza version.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• danodano Frets: 1592
    edited July 2021
    I've used a Blues Driver on and off for 15 years, had a couple in that time. I love it, done the usual mods to mine, with the gain at about 2 I pull the tone down so I don't get any harshness. Works great with my LP. If I switch to my Tele then I need to adjust the tone down lower, so I tend to run an OD-3 for my Tele.

For £70, or whatever they cost now, it's a good piece of kit and it's no different to a boutique pedal really.... hand wired ! But better build quality.

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    ICBM said:
    Johnnyseven said:

Don't say they've actually fixed the not-quite-unity-gain problem with the standard Boss buffer?! That would be remarkable given that they've consistently failed to address any of the well-known issues with any of their pedals until now... although from what I understand, the bypass bleed issue with the SD-1 is also fixed in the Waza version.
    I don't know if they've fixed that specific issue but all the recent Boss pedals i've had (incl the BD2W) seen to have a clearer bypass signal.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    Johnnyseven said:

I don't know if they've fixed that specific issue but all the recent Boss pedals i've had (incl the BD2W) seen to have a clearer bypass signal.
    That sounds like quite a likely correlation. The NQUG problem manifests itself as a very subtle, normally undetectable volume drop, which your ear/brain interprets as a slightly duller and less defined *tone*, not a change in volume - this is a well-known psycho-acoustic effect.

The *actual* tone of even the NQUG buffer is in fact pretty transparent - you can demonstrate this easily with a level-adjustable loop switcher.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    I had a (Keeley mod) Blues Driver on my board when I was in a rock covers band - used it for medium gain rhythm parts and it was fab - the demos I've seen of the Waza one seen really good. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited August 2021
    ICBM said:
    Johnnyseven said:

That sounds like quite a likely correlation. The NQUG problem manifests itself as a very subtle, normally undetectable volume drop, which your ear/brain interprets as a slightly duller and less defined *tone*, not a change in volume - this is a well-known psycho-acoustic effect.

The *actual* tone of even the NQUG buffer is in fact pretty transparent - you can demonstrate this easily with a level-adjustable loop switcher.
    I'm not sure whether it's in my head or not, but I always think I can "feel" Boss pedals in my chain- almost like a slight compression. I guess that would tally in with the "NQUG" thing? EDIT: Older ones, I mean, I don't have any newer or WAZA ones.