Mains smoke alarms beeping

What's Hot
Sat watching Olympics and one of our smoke alarms suddenly beeps. I run out the room to check and there's no sign of trouble. It stopped after a few beeps.

2 mins later the upstairs one goes, then is joined by the downstairs one. Both stopped. This continues, with an occasionally longer run of beeps.

They've not done it for a longer period now, maybe 5 minutes. The house is definitely not on fire. No odd smells or anything. They've been fine for 9 years, seems odd they'd both act weird on the same night.

Both mains powered, I guess with a battery backup, but I doubt the batteries will have run out at the same time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27465
    One going off should set the other one off.  So, if one backup battery is failing, and activated the alarm, the other will go off too.

Also, check that the sensors are clean.

Dust, or the tiny little black flies that plague us for a few weeks every summer, can get into the sensor, block it, and trigger the alarm.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    Have you been eating lots of curry, lentils, artichokes, baked beans or sprouts recently??
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Change the battery’s. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6879
    Might be worth replacing them to be sure all is well. 

Think the industry recommends replacing every 10 years anyway. 

I need to change mine.. theyre only cheap battery jobbies.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I have mains powered alarms and they communicate wirelessly with each other. If one backup battery runs out, they all beep. Just change them all in one go for another nine years of peace.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    They actually expire as well, so check the date written on them. They might need to be replaced fully.