Fretboard binding - what is the point?

What's Hot
I have always liked bound fretboards. To me, there is something about a guitar with a bound fretboard that says "this is a high-quality instrument, someone has taken a lot of trouble to get right". To be rational though, I can't think of a single good reason to put binding on a fretboard (other than mere decoration). I never feel any difference while I'm actually playing. 

So is there a reason? Is there any practical benefit in a bound fretboard?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Binding is traditionally there to protect edges.  On an acoustic body it protects a join  between top and back plates to the sides.  This area is susceptible to damage

After that, its mainly an aesthetic choice.   It hides the ends of the fret slots, but its far from necessary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited July 2021
    It is impossible to cut a  slot for the fret with out having open ends , you need to cut straight across . It is possible to nip off the tang   at the ends . So , binding the fret board  seals off the slot ends and gives a better  finish .  However, it is partly looks  and how the instrument might be played.  Classical guitars  don 't usually have bound fingerboards 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    more said:
    It is impossible to cut a  slot for the fret with out having open ends
    it is something a lot of builders now manage to do with their fancy CNC machines.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
     I guess it means you can have a slight rolled edge without “damaging” the wood (not that it stops me with rosewood boards). And it looks pretty
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires