Tele bridge - uncomfortable

What's Hot
PoboyPoboy Frets: 431
edited July 2021 in Guitar
Damping with the edge of my right hand is a big part of my playing and am finding it really uncomfortable on the tele. Can even get painful.
As far as I can tell it's the edge of the little grub screws for height adjustment on the saddle that's the culprit.
I dont want to fit one of those ashtray cover things as I think they look crap and I wouldn't be able dampen properly any more anyway. Which would kinda defeat the purpose of it.
Is there any other solution? I've tried searching for more subtle covers, maybe something like little rubber caps for the screws, but can't find anything.
It's putting me off playing the tele.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I get this on Strat and Tele type bridges as I set mine really low.
    I usually buy a set of spare grub screws and just grind them down so they sit either flush or just under the hole.

• PoboyPoboy Frets: 431
    Hi Andy, might work. Seems a lot of effort though.
    How do you grind them down? They're tiny....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31556
    You can buy the screws in different lengths, put shorter ones in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4771
    I bought new Graphtech saddles (and graded screws of different heights that matched the neck radius) for my MIM Tele Deluxe FSR. - which has a 6 saddle Strat-style bridge, not the classic Tele one. 
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    edited July 2021
    I got a set of intonated Glendale saddles for my tele and they have recessed screws. They have increased sustain a bit on the originals but are fairly expensive, 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26942
    Yeah, either shorter screws, or shim the neck to increase the angle and get the saddles a little higher on the current screws. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    You can buy the screws in different lengths, put shorter ones in. 
    It's usually the simplest solution is the best.
    Where would a handsome young fella, such as myself, purchase aforementioned shorter screws?
    keir said:
    I got a set of intonated Glendale saddles for my tele and they have recessed screws. They have increased sustain a bit on the originals but are fairly expensive, 
    I'll look into that too. Money is no object.
    Yeah, either shorter screws, or shim the neck to increase the angle and get the saddles a little higher on the current screws. 
    Not sure if serious....
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31556
    Poboy said:
    Not sure if serious....
    It is an option, I've used the microtilt on my Strat to enable me to raise the saddles on their screws. 
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Guitar-Saddle-Height-Adjusting-Grub-Screws-in-Chrome-Various-sizes-/371950037510?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Just order whatever sizes suit, I did buy a staggered set for my Silver Sky but still needed to take a little bit off each with a bench grinder (probably not the best solution to be fair)

andy1839 said:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Guitar-Saddle-Height-Adjusting-Grub-Screws-in-Chrome-Various-sizes-/371950037510?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Just order whatever sizes suit, I did buy a staggered set for my Silver Sky but still needed to take a little bit off each with a bench grinder (probably not the best solution to be fair)

Thank you!
    Six short ones ordered.... 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26942
    Poboy said:
    Not sure if serious....
    Absolutely serious if it means sorting in an hour with a bit of cardboard rather than waiting on delivery of new saddles!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Poboy said:
    Not sure if serious....
    Absolutely serious if it means sorting in an hour with a bit of cardboard rather than waiting on delivery of new saddles!! 
    yeah, you can put a shim in the neck pocket like this Fender example here - then raise all the saddles

shims can be any thin material.   Card, plastic, wood veneer... they all work fine
    No hurry. I've short grub screws on order, I can wait for those. Thanks anyway.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2435
    Don’t forget to raise the pickups if you ever shim a neck
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    They sand down really easily. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22768
    Poboy said:
    andy1839 said:

Thank you!
    Six short ones ordered.... 
    Just a note on those, they're metric thread so may not fit if you have a USA Tele...!
    They've just arrived... I thought I was ordering six screws. I had actually managed to order six sets of six...  =)
    If anyone wants a set, hit me up.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    Poboy said:
    Not sure if serious....
    Entirely serious. I would do that too, as the simplest solution - it also increases the break angle over the saddles, which some people prefer.

Now you have so many spare screws, I'm sure someone else will want them though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein