What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 9629
edited July 28 in Coronavirus
not intending to mock or abuse people, but to share links to news stories about those who lost their lives after insisting they would not have the vaccine - so as to provide material for any of us to share with friends and family who need a push to get vaccinated.

Hopefully, stories involving people similar to themselves could be the key to unlock their resistance?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 9629
    edited July 28
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/vaccine-sceptic-father-34-dies-from-covid-after-wishing-to-turn-back-time/?fbclid=IwAR1mS9f2cEp30ylpfQIikV0rRQOFJPCWOD8JqbkjcLJfbPZq4tgn_sNiY94

A 34-year-old self-confessed vaccine sceptic has died with Covid, after wishing he could "turn back time".

Matthew Keenan - a football coach and father - passed away just weeks after contracting the virus.

His story was first shared online in early July by Dr Leanne Cheyne - a respiratory consultant at the West Yorkshire hospital.

"Matthew, has agreed for me to share his story. 34, footie coach & dad," she tweeted.

"Self-confessed vaccine sceptic until he caught Covid, if he could turn back time he would. Our sickest patients are unvaccinated & under 40. Matthew is fighting for his life... save yours."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Grieving Those Who Refuse A COVID Vaccine (buzzfeednews.com)

They weren’t people you’d typically pin as anti-vaxxers. He was a retired engineer and she had worked as a nurse. But the Florida couple, both in their eighties, refused to get inoculated against the coronavirus, and now he’s dead.

Just over a month since her father-in-law died, Marie is still grappling with the painful fact that he and his wife ignored the science to devastating results.

• WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 15287
    edited July 28
    Can we have a thread for the corollary then? People who have chosen not to, or who cannot for health reasons, get the vaccine... who happen to be still breathing??

Oh? We're not gonna do that??? HMMMMMM QUIZZICAL ME A PUZZLEMENT!!!

Bad thread idea IMO. Only adding to the discord and division that the Nazi's in power want to sow. At the very least the thread title is garbage. Being cautious about the vaccine doesn't make someone a vaccine denier.
    My band: TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Trading feedback: https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147077/
    I like Japanties. Not the forum Road Warrior.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Can we have a thread for the corollary then? People who have chosen not to, or who cannot for health reasons, get the vaccine... who happen to be still breathing??

Oh? We're not gonna do that??? HMMMMMM QUIZZICAL ME A PUZZLEMENT!!!

Bad thread idea IMO. Only adding to the discord and division that the Nazi's in power want to sow. At the very least the thread title is garbage. Being cautious about the vaccine doesn't make someone a vaccine denier.
    being cautious when you are 20 is understandable, albeit usually in ignorance of the relative risks, but not when you're 40+, and especially not when you are 60+

anyway, the idea of getting as many as possible vaccinated is also to protect those who cannot be vaccinated
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 20529
    I agree with Drew, Its heart 'may' be in the right place but on balance not the best idea for a thread. 

It's kind of a polite rebadging of the Darwin awards.
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 546
    my body my choice.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 6698
    If I were an Anti-Vaxxer (which I'm not) I'm afraid this kind of attempt at persuasion to get the vaccine would not do it. Im sure it's with the best of intentions but to somebody who is against the vaccine this just looks like a scare mongering thing and as Drew says it largely ignores those who've avoided dying (and those who've had the jab and still got ill).
    I want to be forgotten, and I don't want to be reminded
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 2586
    edited July 28

They weren’t people you’d typically pin as anti-vaxxers. He was a retired engineer and she had worked as a nurse. But the Florida couple, both in their eighties, refused to get inoculated against the coronavirus, and now he’s dead.

Just over a month since her father-in-law died, Marie is still grappling with the painful fact that he and his wife ignored the science to devastating results.

The doctors and nurses I know say that the majority of people they've seen coming into hospital have been double-vaccinated.

You're always going to hear another side to things and so is this thread really helpful/useful?
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2082
    Although well-intentioned I can't see that this thread serves any practical purpose here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 1562
    I’m getting my second jab today, was going to skip it but my mum booked me in 
      I reckon I’m immune as both parents had it and I had no symptoms or anything 

So just going to have to hope it will be ok. I had a feeling that there may be something drastically wrong with it and that only those who didn’t have the full dose would survive .

im more concerned with a neuropathic itch at the moment that can’t be scratched and alternates between numbness and soreness when not itching 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 4900
    I’m getting my second jab today, was going to skip it but my mum booked me in 
      I reckon I’m immune as both parents had it and I had no symptoms or anything 

So just going to have to hope it will be ok. I had a feeling that there may be something drastically wrong with it and that only those who didn’t have the full dose would survive .

im more concerned with a neuropathic itch at the moment that can’t be scratched and alternates between numbness and soreness when not itching 
    Serious question - what are you actually on about?
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 4856
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/vaccine-sceptic-father-34-dies-from-covid-after-wishing-to-turn-back-time/?fbclid=IwAR1mS9f2cEp30ylpfQIikV0rRQOFJPCWOD8JqbkjcLJfbPZq4tgn_sNiY94

A 34-year-old self-confessed vaccine sceptic has died with Covid, after wishing he could "turn back time".

Matthew Keenan - a football coach and father - passed away just weeks after contracting the virus.

His story was first shared online in early July by Dr Leanne Cheyne - a respiratory consultant at the West Yorkshire hospital.

"Matthew, has agreed for me to share his story. 34, footie coach & dad," she tweeted.

"Self-confessed vaccine sceptic until he caught Covid, if he could turn back time he would. Our sickest patients are unvaccinated & under 40. Matthew is fighting for his life... save yours."

What about the thousands of people who have taken the vaccine and died within 24 hrs (as listed in yellow card system). 

If you want to start scaremongering, why not start there instead? Or is this some self congratulatory happy clappy vaccine nonsense?

Take this crap to Facebook, no need for it here. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Kebabkid said:

The doctors and nurses I know say that the majority of people they've seen coming into hospital have been double-vaccinated.

You're always going to hear another side to things and so is this thread really helpful/useful?
    you should read this, it gives a useful perspective on the numbers

COVID-19: Data shows vaccines reduce risk of hospitalisation and death - but you need to read it with a clear head | UK News | Sky News

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 2586
    Snap said:
    Kebabkid said:

COVID-19: Data shows vaccines reduce risk of hospitalisation and death - but you need to read it with a clear head | UK News | Sky News

I don't follow the MSM and so I won't thank you, especially Sky News or anything the Government is putting out
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Kebabkid said:

I don't follow the MSM and so I won't thank you, especially Sky News or anything the Government is putting out
    Ah well, then you will miss what is a pretty objective look at the follies of using data in isolation and quoting figures without perspective.

I'm not a fool, and am well aware of how the media works, but this is a small gem in a sea of nonsense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Snap said:
    Kebabkid said:

yes, I listen to More or Less every week

94%+ of those most likely to die have been vaccinated
    It reduces their risk, but does not eliminate it
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 2282
    How about, fuck off. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not sure about those numbers in the Sky piece

AFAIK, over 90s have a far higher mortality rate than 2.8%

Mortality Risk of COVID-19 - Statistics and Research - Our World in Data

I get most of my data from:
    • Our World in Data
    • Private Eye
    • More or Less
    • Prof Spiegelhalter 
    • Govt statistics
    I was mostly thinking of this as a way to show how people's choices felt to them and their families in retrospect when it goes wrong, and how others can learn from that.

The idea seems to upset some people

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 6396
    I think the problem is that this thread is trying to impose both your morality and value judgements onto others.

People can make their own choices based on their understanding of the world, I think. I give my own example where we had to balance risks;

My wife chose not to have the vaccine in Feb when she was offered it through work because there wasn't sufficient clinical evidence about how it might affect a 6 week old embryo. She knew she might get covid as a result and it might be worse as a result. But the judgement was; at that point, if we'd gone for the vaccine and it turned out to hurt our baby, it would be very hard to forgive ourselves for actively making that choice. If she'd got covid at that point, well that's a risk everyone had been living with for almost a year and while we'd have been terribly worried and sad if an infection caused a problem, we could have rationalised our choice. We were essentially trying to balance a quantifiable risk (catching covid as a pregnant 34 year old) against an unquantifiable risk (possibility of vaccine causing issues)

In late April/ early May, there was a lot more published clinical evidence, and it totally swung the balance the other way; we could see the results of clinical trials and also the mass vaccination of pregnant women over the previous 5 months in America. Whereas on the virus front, the upswing in Delta cases and the slow approach of the 3rd trimester, with greater dangers in the event of an infection, made the value judgement change; if she didn't get the vaccine then she got covid and that caused problems for the baby, we wouldn't be able to forgive ourselves. If she got the vaccine and it caused problems, we'd rationalised it in terms of the due diligence we did and that we were trying to act in her and baby's best interest.

Everyone has their own version of these value judgements, risk assessments, the balancing of different factors. I think most people should get the vaccine. But if someone had come up to me in March and said "look at all these pregnant women who lost their babies and died because they chose not to get the vaccine", I'd have been very upset with them indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.