3 P90 wiring question

Ive wired 3 P90’s on an SG as in this diagram, however I swapped the ins and outs on the pots
However when I turn down the middle pot it kills the output of the other two pickups, the middle has to be always slightly on to use the other two pickups….is there a way round this?
I will also introduce a push pull pot to the middle pickup to switch it on and off
Thanks

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    No, that's why they are wired as they are in the diagram (like a Jazz bass).

If wired as you have it (like a Les Paul) then turning any pot to zero shorts the output and kills the sound.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    edited July 2021
    Why did you swap the ins and outs of the pots.   The way the diagram shows it should work as independent volumes.   Swapping them will not
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    WezV said:
    Why did you swap the ins and outs of the pots.   The way the diagram shows it should work as independent volumes.   Swapping them will not
    I vaguely remember someone saying it would be noisier wired to the middles…Ive got to push pull the middle and change out the bridge pickup, so Ill rewire

Thanks guys
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    edited July 2021
    Keep the middle pickup wired like the diagram and swap the other two.

(ie just swap the middle, from where you are now.)

It is better to keep the switched pickups wired as you have it, with the pickup to the top of the pot. There is no advantage to ‘reversed’ wiring on switched pickups, and it does increase noise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Apologies - I saw this thread and then remembered that I'd said I'd take a look at how mine was wired.

It's a 3 x P90 guitar, with 1 tone, 1 vol (push/pull) and a 3-way toggle.

Simple wiring - the neck & bridge are wired as normal, with the middle pickup switched in/out via the push/pull switch.    The main limitation of that wiring are that  I can't have the middle p'up on it's own, but that's never been an issue really.

Won't be relevant though if you're wiring as above, with  the separate vol controls for each p'up!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Thanks guys