What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Philly_Q said:
    Let The Right One In.

A great Swedish film about a boy who befriends a vampire. That’s it on the surface, but there’s some interesting subtext underlying it all. 8/10

It's great, the book is great too. The US remake isn't so great.

At my son's office they have a film night once a month ( sounds like a terrible idea to me but there you go) and it's his turn to pick the film this month. He has chosen Let the Right One In as it happens. 

One of the best films I've ever seen, and all the better because I went in knowing absolutely nothing about it, it was just the first film of the day at a horror film festival.

I think the American version is actually very good.  It's not just a watered-down, by-the-numbers retread like all the US remakes of Asian horror movies.  They changed some plot details and made some interesting directorial choices.  One thing I remember is that it really focuses, visually, on the kids - the adult characters like the boy's mother are peripheral, their voices often muffled, their faces offscreen or hidden in the shadows.

Both well worth watching!

I'm struggling to remember the US one but the Swedish one made such an impact upon me at the time perhaps it was always going to pale in comparison. I remember discussing the Swedish version with Adrian Clark back on the Musicradar forum so it's been a while since I've seen it! IIRC part of that was to what extent it's an allegory for Sweden's relationship with Soviet Russia; I still don't know by the way.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    IIRC part of that was to what extent it's an allegory for Sweden's relationship with Soviet Russia; I still don't know by the way.
    That would've totally gone over my head.  Although I think there were several middle-aged characters who sat around drinking vodka all day...
    Philly_Q said:
    IIRC part of that was to what extent it's an allegory for Sweden's relationship with Soviet Russia; I still don't know by the way.
    That would've totally gone over my head.  Although I think there were several middle-aged characters who sat around drinking vodka all day...
    ...are you sure that's not the video from The Fretboard jam weekend you're thinking of? 
    Whilst I'm here my son has been watching a bunch of films on Netflix so I've watched most of The Delivery Man and Like Father.

Like Father is unrelenting schmaltz. Having not wanted to watch it I got quite gripped with just how vomit inducing it could get. In that sense it didn't disappoint.

The Delivery Man is mediocre nonsense but I quite liked it in parts. Has the newsreader from How I Met Your Mother in it. 
    Philly_Q said:
    ...are you sure that's not the video from The Fretboard jam weekend you're thinking of? 
    I wasn't there, but could be.  And I can imagine one or two people bursting into flames on exposure to daylight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited August 2018
    Tales From The Crypt (1972)

Classic early 70s British horror about a group of people who are given premonitions of  how they will die by a Crypt Keeper. The film is divided into 5 segments showing the circumstances under which each character meets their maker. Not exactly scary but very enjoyable, 7.5 / 10. 

I would like recommendations for more horrors around this period. 

Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598

Classic early 70s British horror about a group of people who are given premonitions of  how they will die by a Crypt Keeper. The film is divided into 5 segments showing how each character meets their maker. Not exactly scary but very enjoyable, 7.5 / 10. 

I just watched "The Love Witch", a modern, feminist nod to the titillating films from that period. 

Classic early 70s British horror about a group of people who are given premonitions of  how they will die by a Crypt Keeper. The film is divided into 5 segments showing the circumstances under which each character meets their maker. Not exactly scary but very enjoyable, 7.5 / 10. 

Dr Terror's House of Horrors
    From Beyond the Grave
    Asylum
    Vault of Horror
    Torture Garden
    The House that Dripped Blood

All very much in the same vein as Tales from the Crypt!

• Ace, thanks for the recommendations! :)
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • westwest Frets: 994
    ah amicus potmanteau style films a staple of my youth loved them !  "naughty shouldnt have done that ...."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited August 2018
    Finally got around to...

Blade Runner 2049

Impressions -

First: Ryan Gosling - who as far as I know I haven't seen in a film before - is extremely annoying and wooden to an almost Nicolas Cage degree, and spoils the movie through simply preventing suspension of disbelief every time he's on screen. He makes Harrison Ford look like Marlon Brando.

Second: the plot isn't bad, but a bit creaky and obvious in places. I guessed the horse bit and the final ending well in advance, along with a couple of other bits. The baddies are one-dimensional, and the only really interesting characters are K's boss and his digital girlfriend, who is by far the most developed concept in the whole film. (Though I couldn't help thinking of ELO's 'Yours Truly, 2095' .)

Third: the Atari and Made In CCCP signs seemed to be telling us that this is a continuation of a parallel universe where these things still exist, and not a possible future for our world - that jarred quite badly and was totally unnecessary. Other than that the visuals were very good, if not quite as iconic and memorable as the original.

I wasn't sure if the music was by Vangelis or just a pastiche, and was still none the wiser after sitting through the almost endless credits. (Checking Wikipedia reveals that it isn't him, apart from a reprise of 'Tears In Rain'.)

Overall I'm glad I've seen it, but it wasn't outstanding. I might have thought it was better if the original isn't so great, since you can't help comparing them.

7/10, although Ryan Gosling makes me want to knock off another point or two...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The Limehouse Golem.

It’s alright if a bit predictable. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    ICBM said:
    Finally got around to...

Blade Runner 2049

Impressions -

First: Ryan Gosling - who as far as I know I haven't seen in a film before - is extremely annoying and wooden to an almost Nicolas Cage degree, and spoils the movie through simply preventing suspension of disbelief every time he's on screen. He makes Harrison Ford look like Marlon Brando.

Second: the plot isn't bad, but a bit creaky and obvious in places. I guessed the horse bit and the final ending well in advance, along with a couple of other bits. The baddies are one-dimensional, and the only really interesting characters are K's boss and his digital girlfriend, who is by far the most developed concept in the whole film. (Though I couldn't help thinking of ELO's 'Yours Truly, 2095' .)

Third: the Atari and Made In CCCP signs seemed to be telling us that this is a continuation of a parallel universe where these things still exist, and not a possible future for our world - that jarred quite badly and was totally unnecessary. Other than that the visuals were very good, if not quite as iconic and memorable as the original.

I wasn't sure if the music was by Vangelis or just a pastiche, and was still none the wiser after sitting through the almost endless credits. (Checking Wikipedia reveals that it isn't him, apart from a reprise of 'Tears In Rain'.)

Overall I'm glad I've seen it, but it wasn't outstanding. I might have thought it was better if the original isn't so great, since you can't help comparing them.

7/10, although Ryan Gosling makes me want to knock off another point or two...

I’ve never seen a Ryan Gosling film where he does much more than stand around looking gormless. He certainly cant act, I presume he gets the parts because he looks pretty. 

I didn't like BR2049 much either. It was way too long and although the visuals were very well done and the music was a nice nod to the original, the film lacked pace. The original was a masterpiece, it was always going to be a hard act to follow. 
    boogieman said:
    I’ve never seen a Ryan Gosling film where he does much more than stand around looking gormless. He certainly cant act, I presume he gets the parts because he looks pretty. 

Try The Believer (2001).  Despite his subsequent rise to fame it seems to be semi-forgotten, but it is very good and he is very good in it.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    Sharknado 4.

Sadly the franchise seems to have jumped itself.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Sporky said:
    Sharknado 4.

Sadly the franchise seems to have jumped itself.
    I feel like you've been waiting at least 3 movies to make that joke... :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Jumanji - the original one.

Another one I'd never seen before, but my daughter has seen the new one and wanted to treat the original as a 'prequel'...

I'm a fan of Robin Williams, but I have to say both he and the film are disappointing. It's a good concept, but there's no depth or surprise in the way it's presented, and the 'comedy' is pretty weak and generally not that funny. And admittedly it's fairly early for CGI so perhaps shouldn't be criticised too heavily, but... the CGI is crap.

5/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Bill 

On the iPlayer, the Horrible Histories team take on Bill Shakespeare via Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Funny family film. 

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    The imitation game.

All I'll say is I wish I could watch a film like it every Sunday afternoon. Loved it.

9/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom