What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

I finally saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople on Friday.

I've been wanting to see it since I saw What We Do In The Shadows, which was also directed by Taika Watiti.

It was fantastic. Very, very funny.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited August 2018
    Deadman said:
    The imitation game.

All I'll say is I wish I could watch a film like it every Sunday afternoon. Loved it.

9/10.
    Excellent film. Have you watched Hidden Figures? Another true story - this time about mathematicians working for NASA.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    edited August 2018
    Deadman said:
    Sightseers

A Film 4 black comedy about a couple who go off in a caravan to see exciting things like Keswick pencil museum. Made me laugh. A lot. 9/10.
    Yes! I loved Sightseers!

We have a young lady at work who, along with her husband have a quite successful YouTube channel dedicated to touring in their camper van.  I recommended it to her and....

She had a massive sense of humour failure and didn't find find it funny at all. Not one little bit - which made all the more funny, as far as I was concerned.    
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Watched Wind River on Netflix last night - about a hunt for a murderer on an Indian reservation in Wyoming. 

Decent enough, but wished I'd turned the subtitles on as Jeremy Renner mumbles an awful lot. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    CHRISB50 said:

I finally saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople on Friday.

I've been wanting to see it since I saw What We Do In The Shadows, which was also directed by Taika Watiti.

Speaking of whom, I watched Thor: Ragnarok.  I knew it was a light-hearted MCU entry, but I wasn't expecting a full on comedy.  Still, the cast are up to the task and it's very enjoyable.  I wish I'd had time to listen to the director's commentary.

Also watched The Mimic.  It feels like a very long time since I saw a new Korean horror movie!  Atmospheric and quite well done, but the plot's rather vague and uninvolving.  Ho hum.
  • Incredibles 2 was fun. I’m not sure where they can go from there though unless the kids are older in the next one 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Sporky said:
    Strippers vs Werewolves

Much better than expected. Still awful, but enjoyably awful.

@Sporky you have to dig out a copy of "Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town" if you liked that. If only for the title.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Finally caught up with Ready Player One at the weekend.  Was a bit wary, as I loved the book, and knew they'd collapsed/'sanitised' it a little, but it was actually pretty good and worked on its own terms. Would have preferred it to have been slightly less Disney-comic in places (I read it as much darker) but a reasonable romp nonetheless.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Snags said:
    Sporky said:
    Strippers vs Werewolves

Much better than expected. Still awful, but enjoyably awful.

@Sporky you have to dig out a copy of "Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town" if you liked that. If only for the title.

I saw that ages ago. I think it was marginally less bad than Surf Nazis Must Die.

Strippers vs Werewolves wasn't so bad that I wouldn't watch it again.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Sharknado 4.

Sadly the franchise seems to have jumped itself.
    I feel like you've been waiting at least 3 movies to make that joke... :D 
    Actually I was rather saddened by it. The first one somehow exceeded the genre - it was just aware of how awful it was, and there was some actual acting in it. The second one worked too.

The third one did feel like they didn't know how to go bigger, and the fourth was like they'd gone through the bottom of the barrel and decided to keep digging. There are apparently two more...
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Layer Cake - First time I have seen it since it came out, and it was worth watching again after all this time. Definitely a film of it's time (along with Lock Stock, Snatch), and while not as quotable as Lock Stock, it is a one of the best of those films. A good story, good actors, and well shot.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    Sharknado 4.

Sadly the franchise seems to have jumped itself.
    I feel like you've been waiting at least 3 movies to make that joke... :D 
    Actually I was rather saddened by it. The first one somehow exceeded the genre - it was just aware of how awful it was, and there was some actual acting in it. The second one worked too.

The third one did feel like they didn't know how to go bigger, and the fourth was like they'd gone through the bottom of the barrel and decided to keep digging. There are apparently two more...
    Somehow they’ve also managed to make the CGI worse than the original, which is a minor miracle given the sharks in the first film looked like they were drawn by a 5 year old with an iPad. A shining example of milking a franchise waaaaaay past its death. And yes I agree, it’s a bit saddening really: the original Sharknado was definitely in the so-bad-it’s-good category. 
    boogieman said:

the original Sharknado was definitely in the so-bad-it’s-good category. 
    But it was a lot better than (making up some names that are probably real films) Sharktopus vs Megadonkey, or Gigiavirus Saves Christmas and so on - there's a bazillion films on SyFy and Horror that are just bad. I don't know how Sharknado did it, but it was genuinely enjoyable.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Sporky said:
    boogieman said:

the original Sharknado was definitely in the so-bad-it’s-good category. 
    But it was a lot better than (making up some names that are probably real films) Sharktopus vs Megadonkey, or Gigiavirus Saves Christmas and so on - there's a bazillion films on SyFy and Horror that are just bad. I don't know how Sharknado did it, but it was genuinely enjoyable.
    They should definitely make Sharktopus vs Megadonkey.  :)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    20 Feet From Stardom

Fascinating.  Inside the world of backing singers.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    HAL9000 said:
    Deadman said:
    The imitation game.

All I'll say is I wish I could watch a film like it every Sunday afternoon. Loved it.

9/10.
    Excellent film. Have you watched Hidden Figures? Another true story - this time about mathematicians working for NASA.
    I have HAL yeah. Another excellent watch that one.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    RobDavies said:
    Deadman said:
    Sightseers

A Film 4 black comedy about a couple who go off in a caravan to see exciting things like Keswick pencil museum. Made me laugh. A lot. 9/10.
    Yes! I loved Sightseers!

We have a young lady at work who, along with her husband have a quite successful YouTube channel dedicated to touring in their camper van.  I recommended it to her and....

She had a massive sense of humour failure and didn't find find it funny at all. Not one little bit - which made all the more funny, as far as I was concerned.    

Hahaha!! That's made my day!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    "You were never really here ..."   staggering portrail of ptsd / abuse , with some beautiful cinematic touches and homage , brooding sound design and score ....  cant wait to see it again .....
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited August 2018
    The Meg
    it was pretty good fun.. quite enjoyed it for what it was [sci-fi with a large and not always convincing attempt at the fi part]

too serious to be stupidly brilliant like Sharktopus
    missing something that other great monster movies have like Jaws, various King Kong / Godzilla types
    Stratham v Meg [even if the Meg is much bigger than the biggest example discovered] only ever had one obvious outcome

it had some pretty cool moments... but also a lot of stuff that was a bit too predictable

glad I saw it on the big screen in 3D cos it made for a fun night out
    play every note as if it were your first
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Interstellar. 

I almost shed a tear on a couple of occasions. A long film, but I really enjoyed it. The cast were good, and OK, the science wasn't great, but it was good to see the effects of relativity on time-travel and the sacrifices the crew had to make. Some good twists too. 

A solid 8/10. Definitely one I will watch again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom