What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• westwest Frets: 996
    edited February 2019
    Casablanca.  Don't know how many times I've seen it, but still stood up as one of the most iconic films ever made.  Quibbling about weaknesses seems pointless when it's so packed with scenes that are stone-cold classics. 10/10
    I watched it again a few weeks ago and agree entirely !  have had an hankering for the african queen too since  , if only i could find it in the abyss ....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    The Martian

Another one I missed at the time but found on DVD recently.

Outstanding - a properly suspenseful film, just enough scientific accuracy to be reasonably credible (OK, a few bits that weren't quite), and a genuinely tense ending... I haven't read the book though. Also, having read the reports into the Space Shuttle accidents I don't think the portrayal of NASA's management decision-making culture was too unfair or 'cartoon bad guys'.

The only thing I didn't like - apart from a couple of bits where with a physics background you just go "er... no" (like repairing an 8' hole in a pressure dome with some polythene sheeting and gaffer tape) - was that the Mars scenery backgrounds were very wrong, like a cross between 50s sci-fi illustrations and the pod racing course in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.

But overall...

9/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    edited February 2019
    Deadpool

Late to the party, obviously. Quite enjoyed it, especially the basic attitude, although felt the scripted humour wasn't quite up to the mark it needed to be to really capture the "taking the piss from the inside vibe". Also slightly let down by the lead's voice which, for my money, was a bit too whiney and not world weary enough for the target I think they were trying to hit. Still, an entertaining diversion.
  • ICBM said:
    The Martian

Another one I missed at the time but found on DVD recently.

Outstanding - a properly suspenseful film, just enough scientific accuracy to be reasonably credible (OK, a few bits that weren't quite), and a genuinely tense ending... I haven't read the book though. Also, having read the reports into the Space Shuttle accidents I don't think the portrayal of NASA's management decision-making culture was too unfair or 'cartoon bad guys'.

The only thing I didn't like - apart from a couple of bits where with a physics background you just go "er... no" (like repairing an 8' hole in a pressure dome with some polythene sheeting and gaffer tape) - was that the Mars scenery backgrounds were very wrong, like a cross between 50s sci-fi illustrations and the pod racing course in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.

But overall...

9/10
    That's generous. I still liked the film though. Read the book - it's not a masterpiece but makes a nice fulfillment to the movie. 
  • How to train your dragon 3. The kids loved it, I fell asleep and missed most of it.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    BigBearKris said:

That's generous. I still liked the film though. Read the book - it's not a masterpiece but makes a nice fulfillment to the movie. 
    Possibly, although I did have my first beer at home since 2018 while I was watching it :). I really did think it was very good though - perfectly paced, not too dumbed down, well-acted, and having not read the book (I will now if you think it's worthwhile) I genuinely didn't know for sure how it would end. Certainly the best proper sci-fi film I've seen for ages.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Expendable 3.
    Why anyone thought it was a good idea to commit this rubbish to film let alone DVD/Bluray is beyond me, unless you absolutely had to see Stallone wearing enough makeup and fake tan to supply the whole of Essex for the rest of this century.
    Having said that, I did think Ronda Rousey did all right in it, not acting but the action stuff.
    It follows.
    Quite a suspenseful horror flick that doesn't rely on loads of special FX.
    House of the Devil and The Innkeepers.
    Again, a couple of horror flicks that keep up the suspense without resorting to loads of jump-scares. I liked the actress Sara Paxton in The Innkeepers. I reckon she'd do well in comedic roles. And she looked adorable in this film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Watched blade runner (final cut) last night. Never watched it until now because my younger self would never have got through it without being bored shitless.

I enjoyed the film, great cinematography, and provoked some thought.

Not the best film I’ve ever seen though, probably not even in the top 10.

might watch the sequel tonight if I have time.
    Maynehead said:
    Watched blade runner (final cut) last night. Never watched it until now because my younger self would never have got through it without being bored shitless.

I enjoyed the film, great cinematography, and provoked some thought.

Not the best film I’ve ever seen though, probably not even in the top 10.

might watch the sequel tonight if I have time.
    I wouldn't bother. I found it a huge disappointment. A good story line that would've made a decent successor to the original but it was too dull, plodding and about 90 minutes too long. Mind you, if you want to see Ryan Gosling looking gormless for nearly 3 hours, this is the film for you.
    And the sound is ridiculous. The dialogue is whisper quiet while everything else is deafening. I ended up watching it on subtitles with the sound way down.
    ICBM said:
    BigBearKris said:

Possibly, although I did have my first beer at home since 2018 while I was watching it :). I really did think it was very good though - perfectly paced, not too dumbed down, well-acted, and having not read the book (I will now if you think it's worthwhile) I genuinely didn't know for sure how it would end. Certainly the best proper sci-fi film I've seen for ages.
    It's got to be better than Gravity. That was appalling.
  • The Martian is spectacular. And everyone should to Wadi Rum (where it was filmed) if they get a chance. It’s better in real life than the movie. 

As for Blade Runner, I like the original, but a lot of it has aged quite badly now. Conversely I thought 2049 was phenomenal. Really long but doesn’t drag. IMO of course
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    ICBM said:
    The Martian

The only thing I didn't like - apart from a couple of bits where with a physics background you just go "er... no" (like repairing an 8' hole in a pressure dome with some polythene sheeting and gaffer tape)
    Lol, you are the last person I’d expect to be criticising the gaffer (duct) tape scene! ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Took my son to see the lego movie 2 this morning. As bonkers and reasonably entertaining as the first one!
  • Bad Times at the El Royale

This has to be one of the best films I've seen in years. It's quite Tarantino albeit not directed by Tarantino  B)

2 hours and 15 mins just flew by, fantastic, keeps you hooked into the story, great characters and unlike so many films in the last 15 years, it has a definite start, middle and more importantly, an end that doesn't leave it up to the viewer to explain.

This film is a must see.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714
    In Order Of Disappearance

A pretty good black comedy revenge thriller from Norway, with Stellan Skarsgard and Bruno Ganz (RIP).  Recently remade as Cold Pursuit - the film Liam Neeson was promoting when he got himself in hot water recently. 

The remake's been made by the same director, which makes me quite curious to compare and contrast.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night, it was ok, nothing amazing. I wanted to confirm that the critics who thought it should not have been nominated for so many awards were stuffy and out of touch, but TBH, I probably agree with them. 6/10

I watched Bad times at the El Royale on a flight a couple of weeks back, I really enjoyed it. Cynthia Erivo was amazing in that, really brilliant vocal performances. 8/10

Watched the Jane Fonda documentary film, I thought that was ok too 7/10.

Also saw BlacKkKlansman, I thought it was pretty good...very good for a Spike Lee film. 7/10.

• 5 Centimetres Per Second. Anime by Makoto Shinkai. Gorgeous animation, great direction, and a keen dissection of how first love can colour your life. Strongly recommended if you're an anime fan.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30874
    I got a load of BAFTA bluray copies off my ex this week;

BhoRap- genius- cried a hundred times.
    Stan and Ollie- not quite what I expected- indulgent, but Coogan is bloody brilliant.
    I, Tonya- the story of Tonya Harding in a mockumentary- very funny, very enjoyable, highly recommended.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    Overlord - 8/10

Enjoyed it - pretty cookie-cutter storyline, but enjoyable nevertheless. Goes from war film to suspense to horror to sci-fi to war.

Also, great sound effects on the weapons!