What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• westwest Frets: 996
    Lady macbeth ... nothing to recomend .... out damn spot, out i say ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    boogieman said:
    Stand By Me. Surprised to see this is over 30 years old now, strewth. One of the better Stephen King film transfers, it stands up really well although Kiefer Sutherland isn’t really menacing enough. Has some nicely observed insights into kids leaving childhood behind and hurtling into teenagedom. Some cracking one liners too “Did your mother have any kids that lived?” 
    Its one of my all time favourite films.  "suck my fat one you cheap dime store hood" is one of my favourite insults too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1754
    Went to the cinema with my friend last week (Friday night), caught Us (2019), think we caught it the day it premiered too but I didn't know that at the time.
    I streamed Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) last week.
    Glad to see you going out ;)

How would you rate the above?
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    paulnb57 said:
    The Highwaymen 2019 Netfix

Kevin Costner and Woody Harlston play two aging, retired, ex Texas Rangers, dragged out of retirement to hunt for Bonny and Clyde.....Texas Rangers are no longer politically correct, so they are hired as "Highwaymen".......based on real events, this is as much a study of the two, ageing men as it is the hunt for the Gangsters...a great watch, thoroughly enjoyed it....
    9.5/10 from me!
    Yeah I liked this too.
    Particularly thought the portrayal of Bonnie and Clyde as two faceless killers right up until the finale, at which moment you realise that they are just two kids.
    Costner and Harrison are both great.  I felt almost like they were reprising roles that they've been playing for years.  Highwaymen is almost like a swansong for a long running franchise with characters we have known for decades.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    "The Apartment".  First saw this iirc in my mid teens and had one of my earliest ever crushes on Shirley MacLaine. One of the earlier incarnations of the manic pixie dream girl, not a concept that I would have known anything about at the time obviously. 

By my early 20s I'd probably have named Wilder as my favourite director, but his movies haven't stood up so well to repeated viewing as, say, Hitchcock's.  Wilder is a little too cynical: not his cynicism about life, which can be refreshing in a Hollywood movie, but his cynicism about what works in a movie:  plausibility and consistency of tone are too easily sacrificed to entertainment, or to make a point.

it's plausible that a guy in Baxter's situation would make his apartment available to company execs, but not that he'd run an elaborate diary rota or allow himself to be continually forced out of his own apartment;  and the balance of power between Baxter and the execs would be less one-sided - after all, he knows where the bodies are (or at least where they were).  And Sheldrake is too two-dimensionally reptilian to be a plausible love object for Fran Kubelik (despite a brilliant performance by MacMurray).

All the same it deserves its status as a classic.  Just so much that's good in it: great lines, wonderful set pieces, great visuals, wonderful performances, a nice balance between the astringent and the saccharine. And a great ending. 9/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    England is Mine.

This is the Morrissey biopic on Netflix. It’s pretentious and not very rocknroll, in that sense possibly a fair reflection of the subject matter. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    sinbaadi said:
    paulnb57 said:
    The Highwaymen 2019 Netfix

Kevin Costner and Woody Harlston play two aging, retired, ex Texas Rangers, dragged out of retirement to hunt for Bonny and Clyde.....Texas Rangers are no longer politically correct, so they are hired as "Highwaymen".......based on real events, this is as much a study of the two, ageing men as it is the hunt for the Gangsters...a great watch, thoroughly enjoyed it....
    9.5/10 from me!
    Yeah I liked this too.
    Particularly thought the portrayal of Bonnie and Clyde as two faceless killers right up until the finale, at which moment you realise that they are just two kids.
    Costner and Harrison are both great.  I felt almost like they were reprising roles that they've been playing for years.  Highwaymen is almost like a swansong for a long running franchise with characters we have known for decades.
    Very good indeed, my kinda fillum. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    At Eternity’s Gate

Willem Dafoe as Vincent Van Gogh. A very arty film for people who like art films and art... if you don’t, you’ll hate it.

I thought it was mesmerising and utterly brilliant. Dafoe is completely convincing despite being twice Van Gogh’s age, and there’s a real sense of disorientation and disturbance in the unsettling camera work and music editing - you do probably need to see it on a big screen to get the full effect.

10/10. If you like the sound of this, go and see it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22705
    Halloween (2018)

According to the hype, the first and only true sequel to the 1978 original.  They may have thrown out all the plot "developments" of the previous sequels, but it's really just another retread with a surprising number of scenes pinched from the original (and Halloween II... but I thought that no longer existed?).  Oh well, I don't begrudge John Carpenter the money.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    Didn't really enjoy the new Pet Sematary much. It was ok with a creepy kind of atmosphere and the flashback bits weren't nice, but it felt like there was a lot of build up then everything happened at once but was still an anti climax. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    ICBM said:
    At Eternity’s Gate

Willem Dafoe as Vincent Van Gogh. A very arty film for people who like art films and art... if you don’t, you’ll hate it.

I thought it was mesmerising and utterly brilliant. Dafoe is completely convincing despite being twice Van Gogh’s age, and there’s a real sense of disorientation and disturbance in the unsettling camera work and music editing - you do probably need to see it on a big screen to get the full effect.

10/10. If you like the sound of this, go and see it.
    @ICBM sounds really interesting. Have you seen Loving Vincent (the animated film)? I liked it, it’s clever without being clever just for the sake of it. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    Snap said:

Captain Marvel. As a MCU fan, it was average. Not as duff as Spiderman Homecoming, but maybe on a par with Ant Man. It was "alright".

As a Marvel fan, this statement has me baffled...! 

Yeah, really mate. I thought Homecoming was a bit crap. Dunno why, just thought it was weak. Not dark enough perhaps. I preferred the Andrew Garfield ones, and the Tobey Maguire run too.

Could be that I think Peter Parker is too young in it. I grew up reading Spiderman comics, never thought of him as a child, but more of a young adult. And he was TOUGH. This iteration is more like a kid in fancy dress, too weedy, not hard enough. Maybe it will grow on me, hope so. But at the moment, it's too like a kid's Disney film for me.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Sicario 2 on Netflix.......an enjoyable romp........8/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7104
    Another one here who found Pet Semetary a bit ‘meh’. It’s a solid 7/10 but has much higher hopes after being scared shitless by the book.
  • The Lazarus Effect (2015)...
    I decided to stream this to catch Ray Wise whom I was geeking out to my Fresh Off The Boat fandom. I mean, this movie was on my 'to watch list' (if such a list existed)... But now I'm feeling like, the story I thought I was going to watch given my impression from its trailers was way cooler  than the movie it turned out to be, for me.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679

Goodfellas.  Seen many times but not for quite a few years.  Great film, absolutely love it 10/10.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346

Goodfellas.  Seen many times but not for quite a few years.  Great film, absolutely love it 10/10.

Yup, superb film. Worth watching just for the “I amuse you?” scene alone. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679
    boogieman said:

Yup, superb film. Worth watching just for the “I amuse you?” scene alone. 
    I did a little tune that sampled that scene about 20 years ago.  Probably the last time I watched it actually!

• schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited April 2019
    Mother. 8/10 Just goes to show you shouldn’t take notice of critics, or especially Amazon reviews. Great film which doesn’t spell everything out for you and has lots of interesting subtext.
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 237
    The Mule Clint eastwoods latest offering.  I enjoyed it 7.8/10